Cross Dominant Help!

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Cross Dominant Help!

Postby HuntingAddict1775 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:51 pm

I am new to waterfowl. Just started this year. I am cross dominant (right handed, left eye dominant) And was wondering if there are any ways to change the dominance of my eye to the right? I really don't want to switch shooting from my right side to my left, but if worst comes to worst I guess I'll have to.. I'm going to try the tape over your dominant eye trick with my sun glasses. Has anyone had luck changing the dominance of your eye? Does the tape over the dominant eye really work or help anyone? Thanks.
Last edited by HuntingAddict1775 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bible don't say nuthin' about daily limits.
HuntingAddict1775

Re: Cross Dominant Help!

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Don't have any advice for you, but welcome to the forum!! I think I remember reading about someone on here with that problem. Hopefully he will chime in.
Head on over to the "blind" and introduce yourself if your ready. Tread lightly. :-)
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 pm

My brother and one of my hunting partners both have the same issue. My brother just started shooting left handed but my friend shoots right but looks with his left eye. Which looks uncomfortable as can be but he can outshoot more people than not. Do what works best for you, but more than likely learning to shoot left handed will be the best option.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Depending on how much more "dominant" your left eye is, using tape or "magic dots" might work.

I wouldn't try to train your eye with sunglasses, but get a pair of shooting glasses and modify those and wear them when hunting.

http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby HuntingAddict1775 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:05 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Depending on how much more "dominant" your left eye is, using tape or "magic dots" might work.

I wouldn't try to train your eye with sunglasses, but get a pair of shooting glasses and modify those and wear them when hunting.

http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot

thanks I will look into this
The Bible don't say nuthin' about daily limits.
HuntingAddict1775

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Or you could look into getting one of these guns
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:05 am

I would do whatever Dan tells you. He's kind of a big deal when it somes to shooting.

Seriously. And :welcome: to the forum!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby banknote » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 am

I have this problem and improved my shooting by closing my left eye while continuing to shoot right handed. This doesn't mean I'm a great shot, just not near as bad as I was. I've got it to where sometimes I can just squint my left eye and get depth of field but my right eye still dominates.
banknote

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 am

Mine changed when I was around 50 and too deep in a right handed rut to try shooting left handed. (A fellow who made the switch a bit younger than that told me it took him around 5,000 rounds for it to become second nature.) So I just squint my left eye, which works fine for me. So it could be folks make more of whatever depth perception change there might be than there really is to it.

(Still shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open.)

But if you're just starting out and have the resources for lots of practice, you might want to give shooting lefty a go.
Rick

Postby Slingshot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:06 pm

SWitch to the left , it will pay off later.
Team total asalt.
Modded 35 gdsd 1746xpress. Haulin the mail
Take a kid huntin.
Slingshot

Location: Holder steady newt were headdin fer da tadder patch.

Return to Greenhorn Forum