Looking for some insight

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Looking for some insight

Postby jarvey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and I am looking for some general insight into duck hunting. I have a shotgun and camo, I am picking up a call tomorrow to start practicing with, and I guess I am wondering what else I have to start looking into. I know I will need decoys and a blind or something to keep me hidden, but I was wondering what types of things I may be overlooking. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania and I have been researching the different types of ducks in the area. I'm not looking to find a spot off of anyone, but I am just wondering what types of areas have worked best for others, for example should I expect to only hunt at ponds, marshes, etc, or do fields work just as well? I am just trying to get a good idea where I should be looking for areas to hunt, I don't want to limit myself and make it much more difficult. I am hoping to start scouting out areas this week. Thanks for your help guys.
jarvey

Re: Looking for some insight

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:12 pm

The answers to the couple questions you are asking could fill a book. The short answer would be to see if you can find someone in your area that will take you a few times and listen/learn all you can. You could also check to see if there are any state/federal refuges in your area.
The list of things that you actually need could be as short or as long as you want, just depends on how far you want to dig in, and how monetarily committed you want to be. Beyond that, the best way to learn is trial and error.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Good advice from Tripod and welcome to WFF! :welcome:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby jarvey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks for input, I plan on looking around for some people in my area that duck hunt. What are your guys thoughts about state and federal lands? I always assumed they were overcrowded and over hunted. I still plan on checking them out, but I figure that finding some private land would be my best, maybe not easiest, option. Thanks again guys
jarvey

Postby capt1972 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Join a DU chapter! Always guys there willing to help out a new guy.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:58 pm

You need waders. These are a must, and are a pretty good chunk of change most times. I'd skimp on darn near everything else (decoys, call, shells) if I had to in order to have a good pair of waders.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:10 pm

assateague wrote:You need waders. These are a must, and are a pretty good chunk of change most times. I'd skimp on darn near everything else (decoys, call, shells) if I had to in order to have a good pair of waders.

This big time. A few swims in icy water and you'll learn that quick. That being said you don't have to drop a ton on waders either. Hit up Academy (don't know if yall have those) or even a Wal-Mart and you can sometimes score some 3.5 waders for cheap that are just as good as the high dollar ones minus the hand warmers, shell straps, and other nonessential accessories.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:13 pm

assateague wrote:You need waders. These are a must, and are a pretty good chunk of change most times. I'd skimp on darn near everything else (decoys, call, shells) if I had to in order to have a good pair of waders.

What kind of waders did you buy last month again? ? ?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Looking for some insight

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 pm

3legged_lab wrote:The answers to the couple questions you are asking could fill a book. The short answer would be to see if you can find someone in your area that will take you a few times and listen/learn all you can. You could also check to see if there are any state/federal refuges in your area.
The list of things that you actually need could be as short or as long as you want, just depends on how far you want to dig in, and how monetarily committed you want to be. Beyond that, the best way to learn is trial and error.
3leg's spot on. It'll be impossible for us to know what types of area you'll be hunting unless you can hook up with someone local. But once you know the answer to that then we could start lining ya up on the possible gear that could make your life alittle easier. But since you're willing to get out to scout, then you're getting off on the right foot. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

#tazincali
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:28 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

cheapos!

#tazincali
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Jarvey...scratch what we've all said. You'll need a gator trax boat, go devil, Benelli or beretta shotgun, acrylic timber and open water calls, lacrosse waders, an underarmour hunting jacket, case of hevi shot, a fully trained duck hills kennels lab...what am I forgetting? Anyway, how big's your pocketbook?

#tazincali
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Even reading some DU mags could give you general pointers.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

I said "most times", dammit.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:43 pm

assateague wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Haha! You also said "if I had to".

I guess you didn't have to.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:50 pm

How much you pay for waders Jim?

My new USIA's should be here any day. In three years I'll tell ya if they're worth the two hundo

#tazincali
Redbeard

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:50 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
assateague wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Haha! You also said "if I had to".

I guess you didn't have to.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

More like absolutely refused to. Or physically couldn't without causing an aneurism.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Redbeard wrote:How much you pay for waders Jim?

My new USIA's should be here any day. In three years I'll tell ya if they're worth the two hundo

#tazincali

Curious to know about these. If they are, next time I buy waders I'm going this route.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:36 am

First you need a duck. All else is for naught if you don't locate birds.
Rick

Postby assateague » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 am

#tazincali

This last pair was $80 from eBay. Some brand named Kobuk. We'll see how they pan out.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 am

rebelp74 wrote:

#tazincali

Curious to know about these. If they are, next time I buy waders I'm going this route.
hopefully they'll be here soon

#tazincali
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 am

assateague wrote:

#tazincali

This last pair was $80 from eBay. Some brand named Kobuk. We'll see how they pan out.
that's about as cheap as I've ever seen waders. Our Costco was selling some for $80 a while back.

#tazincali
Redbeard

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 am

Redbeard wrote:
assateague wrote:

#tazincali

that's about as cheap as I've ever seen waders. Our Costco was selling some for $80 a while back.

#tazincali

I give 35 dollars for mine....

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Return to Greenhorn Forum