New to this

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

New to this

Postby Capttrae » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:54 am

Hey y'all I'm new to this whole duck huntin thing, matter fact I ain't ever been duck huntin before, always deer, turkey, and hog hunted. Thing is when I get off the boat Wednesday I gotta go to AR for a few days to visit family so I figured while I was up there I may as well go seein as how I've always heard about duck huntin up there so I booked a trip. I know enough to know the basics of what I need, I'm using a co-workers shotgun, and the outfitter is letting me use a pair of waders, so that brings me up to gun shells, and bags. Sat morning ill be hunting the standing timber so I'm guessing ill be in the water, 1st question is what do y'all use to keep y'all's shells dry? A backpack like I would normally take to my treestand or something different? Also gloves do I need to get a pair of neoprene gloves? Now the big question, ammo, the outfitter suggested #2 for ducks and BB for goose, that's cool I'm good w/ that don't want to guide the guide, but what about brands? I've looked at the black cloud, and some others, also seen some advertised on TV that instead of being round has more of a flat top and bottom according to the commercial allows more to be put in there and holds better groups. I know all these questions prolly sound stupid to y'all but I'd really appreciate any pointed here. Thank y'all
Capttrae

Re: New to this

Postby Olly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 am

Welcome to WFF. I'm going to move your thread to our "green horn" section. It's an area for new hunters to get no BS answers.

The guys here are great and I'm sure you'll get good answers soon.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:08 am

If you're hunting timber I would shoot 3 inch 2 shot or 3 shot. Shots will be close I'm assuming so I wouldn't buy any of that fancy stuff. Speed shock federals in the blue box or kent fast steel should work just fine and won't break the bank. Gloves depends on the temps. I personally hate gloves and seldom wear them but its relatively warm here. If you're going to wear gloves I would suggest something light that doesn't restrict movement. Aunt Betty on this forum would be a good source of information as he hunts in Arkansas a lot.
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby Redbeard » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 am

Welcome!

And pay attention closely, I'll only say this once...but listen to the advice Boot just gave (dammit that was hard to say).

As for bags, most us all carry blind bags. You can google all the different kinds. But for that hunt you might want something you can hang from a tree. That's my guess. So an old backpack for now should work just fine
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am

I switched from #2's to #3's a while back and got better results.
Tomkat

Postby Capttrae » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks y'all, I'm lookin forward to trying it, like I said I haven't ever been before so this'll be a new experience anyhow.
Capttrae

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:09 am

Back up. He said standing timber.
If I take a shot more than 30 yards it's a third shot where I missed twice. 2.75" shells are totally sufficient. 2,3,4 BB...whatever.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Greenhorn Forum