Howdy from Red Stick

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Howdy from Red Stick

Postby Padre » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:28 am

Hey Y'all, I seem to have been bitten by that bug that makes its way around this forum, and I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions. A hundred percent positive they've been asked and answered before, but some of the words are too common to be included in the search function. I grew up in South Georgia and have been a bird hunter much of my life and a fisherman since before I could walk. I've hunted mostly quail, some grouse, and pheasant only one time. Never ventured into waterfowl before, but the aforementioned bug has got me itchin' to try it at least.

I lived in Atlanta for a few years during the time I had Lucy, the best Brittany ever to hunt birds, and spent a lot of time at what was Wolf Creek and then became Tom Lowe shooting grounds. Got hooked on International Skeet and switched over to shooting those same loads for upland game. 12 ga, 24 gram #9. That's just a hair shy of a 7/8 oz load, so basically a fast moving 20 ga load in a 12 ga shell. I had and still have a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U with 28" barrels and screw in chokes. Not ideal for ducks, I'm sure, but it's what I've got, and we have history together. If I decide to stick with this, I'll probably add something else. Oh, and I shoot off the wrong shoulder, by the by, even though I'm mostly right handed.

I've got stocking foot waders, both neoprene (3mm) and breathables. I'd prefer boot foot for real cold temps, but again, this is what I have. Plenty of layering stuff, fleeces, and what not. I fish out of kayaks mostly, down in the marsh for redfish whenever I can. One is a Native Ultimate 12, basically a 12' plastic canoe with a fantastic adjustable seat. I understand from some folks around here it's a good vehicle to hunt from in some of our waters.

So, what else do I need to get started? What are the essentials an absolute greenie such as myself might not think to have or even ask about?

What kind of loads should I be shooting? I was partial to Win AAs when shooting Int'l, and those small loads had next to no recoil, which was nice. I know it's non-toxic shot only, but what size for ducks? How light a load can I get by with and still have reasonable expectations of it being lethal? And yes, I know that depends some on how well I can shoot. What chokes? I always shot Skeet/Skeet before, even when hunting. I've got those, IC, LM, and M, I believe. I always shot 2 3/4 shells, but the Beretta is chambered for 3".
I used to roll my own, using Vectan AS24 powder and AA hulls, closest match to the Win factory load anywhere and very clean burning. I've got a MEC Sizemaster (I believe that's the name). Do I need to modify it to load steel, if I decide to do that?

All right, I've told you what I've got already, and asked my questions. Feel free to add any answers I was too ignorant to ask about. Thanks for your help, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Padre

Re: Howdy from Red Stick

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:35 am

Welcome to the forum!!
A dozen decoys of the most common duck in your area would be a good place to start. A decent beginner duck call will also be a big help.
As far as loads...if you stick to decoying birds inside of 30 yards, you would be fine with a 1oz load of #4 or #3 steel.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:54 am

What part of Georgia do you live in?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby RonE » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:59 am

If you want to be a duck hunter, you are going to need an airboat, I would suggest an 18' Panther. You will need at least 8 dozen decoys and a semi auto shotgun that shoots 3 1/2" shells. I would opt for 1 3/8 oz #2 to start with, buy a couple of cases. Your waders are perfectly acceptable. I don't know how anyone can call themselves a duck hunter without at least six, hundred dollar, calls on a fifty dollar lanyard. Camo outerwear, make sure it is all new and matches so you "look" like a duck hunter. I would say you will need at least 8 plastic milk crates to sit on while hunting (enough for 4 hunters). You are going to need a pretty good chain saw and machete to cut brush to build blinds. In addition to all that, you need a duck strap, preferably custom made and a blind bag for shells, calls, chokes, oil, food and water. I'm sure you will be able to find a good retriever (already trained) for under six thousand dollars. Oh, and you will need an electronic shock collar too. Did I mention face paint and a camo hat? You will also want to get some decals for your truck so that thieves know you hunt ducks and have an expensive shotgun inside. Might as well get a barrel sticker while you are at the store. Probably going to need a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to pull the airboat, might as well get a 4 door four wheel drive so that you can take you buddies and their untrained dogs. You should get on YouTube and get all of the past episodes of Duck Dynasty to see how to really be a world class duck hunter. (Notice that they started with Benelli shotguns and are not shooting Mossbergs, but they didn't use to be seen in every isle in Walmart, so there you go.) :beer:

Actually you have just about everything you need to get started. Get some 3" #4's, a dozen widgeon decoys and you will be good to go. All that other stuff will come in time depending on how far and fast you want to go.

You will find new friends that hunt and will learn everything you need to know for local conditions from them. Welcome to the forum.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby RonE » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:02 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:What part of Georgia do you live in?

He lives in Red Stick, La. near Baton Rouge.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:02 am

Oh see he didnt say that, only talked abt living in Georgia
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Padre » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:41 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Oh see he didnt say that, only talked abt living in Georgia

Sorry about that. It is in the topic title. I probably shouldn't assume that folks everywhere know the Baton Rouge actually means red stick and that a lot of people here just call it that. Should have been more clear.

To answer your question, I grew up in Valdosta, lived in Atlanta for six years as well. Then I spent ten years in WV before moving to Baton Rouge a couple of years ago. It's looks like I may well get the chance to go back to Valdosta next year. Hope so and would like to think that could be the last move. Feeling a definite pull to go back home.

Thanks for the responses so far. What's a reasonable price to expect to pay for a decent call and decoys? Don't need to go overboard but don't want to waste good money on crap.
Padre

Postby Padre » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:43 pm

RonE wrote:If you want to be a duck hunter, you are going to need an airboat, I would suggest an 18' Panther. You will need at least 8 dozen decoys and a semi auto shotgun that shoots 3 1/2" shells. I would opt for 1 3/8 oz #2 to start with, buy a couple of cases. Your waders are perfectly acceptable. I don't know how anyone can call themselves a duck hunter without at least six, hundred dollar, calls on a fifty dollar lanyard. Camo outerwear, make sure it is all new and matches so you "look" like a duck hunter. I would say you will need at least 8 plastic milk crates to sit on while hunting (enough for 4 hunters). You are going to need a pretty good chain saw and machete to cut brush to build blinds. In addition to all that, you need a duck strap, preferably custom made and a blind bag for shells, calls, chokes, oil, food and water. I'm sure you will be able to find a good retriever (already trained) for under six thousand dollars. Oh, and you will need an electronic shock collar too. Did I mention face paint and a camo hat? You will also want to get some decals for your truck so that thieves know you hunt ducks and have an expensive shotgun inside. Might as well get a barrel sticker while you are at the store. Probably going to need a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to pull the airboat, might as well get a 4 door four wheel drive so that you can take you buddies and their untrained dogs. You should get on YouTube and get all of the past episodes of Duck Dynasty to see how to really be a world class duck hunter. (Notice that they started with Benelli shotguns and are not shooting Mossbergs, but they didn't use to be seen in every isle in Walmart, so there you go.) :beer:

See? This is the kind of no nonsense, straight talk help I need. I should be able to afford all that... never. :D

That was a good chuckle you gave me. Do appreciate the help at the end.
Padre

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Padre wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Oh see he didnt say that, only talked abt living in Georgia

Sorry about that. It is in the topic title. I probably shouldn't assume that folks everywhere know the Baton Rouge actually means red stick and that a lot of people here just call it that. Should have been more clear.

To answer your question, I grew up in Valdosta, lived in Atlanta for six years as well. Then I spent ten years in WV before moving to Baton Rouge a couple of years ago. It's looks like I may well get the chance to go back to Valdosta next year. Hope so and would like to think that could be the last move. Feeling a definite pull to go back home.

Thanks for the responses so far. What's a reasonable price to expect to pay for a decent call and decoys? Don't need to go overboard but don't want to waste good money on crap.

Gotcha, I went to college in tifton (abac) and had a few friends that were at VSU. Not a big fan of that town, although I had some good times there. Welcome to the forum. As for decoy prices check the "Craigslist deal of the day" thread for what not to pay for dekes.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Padre » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Not a fan of which - Valdosta or Tifton? I spent some time in Tifton, too, and at what was then ABAC.
Padre

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Padre wrote:Not a fan of which - Valdosta or Tifton? I spent some time in Tifton, too, and at what was then ABAC.

Not a fan of Valdosta, I loved tifton and ABAC is still ABAC.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Padre » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:36 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Not a fan of Valdosta, I loved tifton and ABAC is still ABAC.

Oh, I thought they dropped Agricultural from the name. My bad. Where do you live now?
Padre

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Padre wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:Not a fan of Valdosta, I loved tifton and ABAC is still ABAC.

Oh, I thought they dropped Agricultural from the name. My bad. Where do you live now?

I'm from griffin. Still live here.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby RonE » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:31 pm

So, with a name like Padre, what do you do for a living. Are you an ex baseball player from San Diego?
RonE

Postby Padre » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Nope, not a fan of San Diego, although I was always a fan of Tony Gwynn, much as he wore out my beloved Braves over the years. You had it right the first time. Occupational nickname. Not sure how it got started, but it's what nearly everyone calls me. Clergy, have been for twenty years.
Padre

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Do you wear a funny hat?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:47 pm

He's not the Pope, tripod.

Welcome, Padre! Haven't heard that term since I got out of the Army. It's a bit rough around here at times, but I'm sure you can handle it.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:00 pm

assateague wrote:He's not the Pope, tripod.

Welcome, Padre! Haven't heard that term since I got out of the Army. It's a bit rough around here at times, but I'm sure you can handle it.

Red ain't the pope and he wears a funny hat.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Well, it's not the healthy that are in need of a Doctor - right??

Welcome
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:48 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Red ain't the pope and he wears a funny hat.

He's a cop. He just thinks he's the Pope. Hence, the funny hat.
assateague

Postby Padre » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:19 am

Well, I'm not the Pope, nor will I ever be. Wrong denomination, and then there's the wife and three kids, so...

I do have some funny hats, although most aren't church related. Remember I live in Southern Louisiana, where folks take Mardi Gras seriously.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Padre

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:48 am

:welcome:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RonE » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:28 am

3legged_lab wrote:Do you wear a funny hat?

Not until he gets one that says "Duck Dynasty" on the front.
RonE

Postby Goldfish » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Welcome.

As for a call, go to the local sporting goods store and try a few to see what you like. If you are absolutely horrible, I'm sure a sales man will be over shortly to give you a hand (like Wayne's world with the "may I help you riff")
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby hudson » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:41 am

For decoys I'd get greys,coots and teal
hudson

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi. Couldn't read entire op. What all do you need? Everything.
Greehorn forum or wade thru the mud in the blind here. Welcome.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 pm

aunt betty wrote:Hi. Couldn't read entire op. What all do you need? Everything.
Greehorn forum or wade thru the mud in the blind here. Welcome.

^^^And this, my friends, is why drugs are bad.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Return to Greenhorn Forum