New to duck huntin

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

New to duck huntin

Postby tlangs31 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Hey guys I'm new to duck huntin I'm young and in my twenties. I live in southwest Missouri about 30-40 minutes from the Arkansas line. I have always been a deer,turkey and small game hunter.I picked up bass fishing a few years ago and every once in a while when I was down at the lake fishin I would spook a few ducks out of the coves and I've always thought they were pretty neat looking and I've decided I would like to start duck hunting. My girlfriends family lives down in Arkansas and they duck hunt so I could go with people to learn if I needed to I would just really like to go with one of my buddies here in Missouri we both are just begining. I own a shotgun and 2 duck calls there both duck comander just because they were cheaper to try and practice using. I plan on getting some good waders any advice? And also I'm looking at GHG decoys any advice on them? Im not really sure what kind of ducks are the most common or what we have exactly any help would be appreciated and what should I look for as far as places to hunt I have read to scout but what kind of water to look for exactly I'm goin to be limited to public land for now.
tlangs31

Re: New to duck huntin

Postby capt1972 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:38 pm

:welcome:

And for everybody else, this is the GREENHORN FORUM :duck: :duck:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:48 pm

tlangs31 wrote:Hey guys I'm new to duck huntin I'm young and in my twenties. I live in southwest Missouri about 30-40 minutes from the Arkansas line. I have always been a deer,turkey and small game hunter.I picked up bass fishing a few years ago and every once in a while when I was down at the lake fishin I would spook a few ducks out of the coves and I've always thought they were pretty neat looking and I've decided I would like to start duck hunting. My girlfriends family lives down in Arkansas and they duck hunt so I could go with people to learn if I needed to I would just really like to go with one of my buddies here in Missouri we both are just begining. I own a shotgun and 2 duck calls there both duck comander just because they were cheaper to try and practice using. I plan on getting some good waders any advice? And also I'm looking at GHG decoys any advice on them? Im not really sure what kind of ducks are the most common or what we have exactly any help would be appreciated and what should I look for as far as places to hunt I have read to scout but what kind of water to look for exactly I'm goin to be limited to public land for now.

GHG hotbuys or flambeau stormfronts would be the cheapest start to building a spread. Go with mallards, most birds will decoy to them and given your general location there will be plenty of them. As for waders cabelas are pretty good, but compared to some other brands are pricey. If you go the cheap route on waders be prepared to be a new pair every 1-3 years depending on how much you use and how hard you abuse them. For scouting, you're looking for the ducks, find where they are and that's where you want to be. If you can't find where they are, you won't be as successful, but you can still kill them. Find areas they fly by pretty heavily and setup. You may be able to pull a few birds from the flocks flying by.
And... Welcome to WFF!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:11 pm

Pretty good advice there, and :welcome:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby RonE » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 pm

If you have a shotgun and a couple of duck calls, you're off to a good start. Read what you can on the www and look at some youtube videos. Duck hunting is fun, frustrating, exciting and additive. Welcome to the forum.

It is near the end of this years season, talk to other duck hunters throughout the year and next season you will have plenty of knowledge and even invites to hunt. It takes persistence to gain the knowledge of how, where and when but it isn't particularly hard work.

Talk to some of the farmers and landowners in your area and you might score a pond or some flooded timber to hunt, maybe even some fields to hunt geese in. I have always approached landowners when they were working and asked if I could do anything to help. Most people ask if they can hunt, not help.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby tlangs31 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:04 am

Thanks for the advice
tlangs31

Postby Goldfish » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:56 am

Look into a book called The Lemaster Method. It's a waterfowl identification book. You will need to learn the different kinds of ducks because you can only shoot so many of each species. It's better to learn what they are flying versus after you shoot them.

Also, learn what loons, cormorants, and grebes are, because you can't shoot those (protected species).
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:10 am

Nixa, you are gonna have to go north to find ducks.
Tomkat

Postby tlangs31 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:42 pm

I plan on either going north or buying a non resident and going south into Arkansas it would probably be about the same driving distance either way
tlangs31

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Decoys: on opening week of duck season DNW Outdoors has sales that you can't beat. Pick up a dozen for $25.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:36 pm

DNW is in Jonesboro
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Waders:
I like Cabelas 5 mm neoprene.
Macks Prairie Wings has a huge selection if you want to go to Stuttgart. I've heard good things about Macks brand waders.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

I hated my 5 mm waders. Breathables all the way
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Tomkat wrote:I hated my 5 mm waders. Breathables all the way

x2
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74