Decoys

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Decoys

Postby tlangs31 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:25 am

What would be good duck decoys for a new duck hunter? Don't want really expensive ones until im hooked but what would be good decoys that would last a few years before needing trashed that's not going to break the bank
tlangs31

Re: Decoys

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:30 am

Flambeau Stormfronts

*greenhorn forum
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:31 am

Green head gear Hot Buys, or Flambeau Storm Front.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 am

What they said. Go cheap, at first, if you don't stick with it then you're not out much $$$.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 am

And you can always use the cheap ones as fillers when your spread grows...

Anything you buy now should be looked at as an investment.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:50 am

I got started by finding a local guy selling a few dozen of the cheapest used Flambeau mallards for $60 and bought them. The good thing about them was they were cheap and light to carry. The bad thing about them was they all had the same pose and terrible paint jobs. The hens were a flat brown and the drakes had no black on them, just green, brown, gray and the only white was the ring on the neck. I looked at some real birds, got some acrylic paints out, and spent a night or two painting. On the hens I just roughly mottled the bodies with black and dirtied up the tops of their bills, which were solid orange. On each drake I used black paint to darken the top of the head and made a nice contrast where it meets the bill, shaded down the back and blackened the tail area. Then with white I lightened the flanks and painted the tail tips. They need touching up now and then, especially the white tails, but it's easy and I kind of like doing it. I still have a lot of them mixed in with newer, "better" decoys and I think they look more realistically colored, at least compared to our local birds.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you have the time and inclination, you can set yourself up fairly cheap by repainting used dekes. I did the same thing with a few old Carrylight widgeon. Have fun!
banknote

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:56 am

If you're starting out new, and on a budget, go the craigslist route. You'll save on the decoys and they'll probably come rigged with weights (sometimes almost as expensive as the decoys themselves) and maybe even a decoy bag.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:58 am

3legged_lab wrote:If you're starting out new, and on a budget, go the craigslist route. You'll save on the decoys and they'll probably come rigged with weights (sometimes almost as expensive as the decoys themselves) and maybe even a decoy bag.

X2. That was my experience.
banknote

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:18 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:And you can always use the cheap ones as fillers when your spread grows...

Anything you buy now should be looked at as an investment.

And when the paint gets knocked of em too bad, repaint them as divers.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby tlangs31 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks guys i will be on the lookout for some decoys now.
tlangs31

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 pm

I missed this earlier. The storm fronts I have have lasted very, very well, and they were cheaper than anything I could find on craigslist. Don't let anybody tell you different, they work just as well as $100 a dozen decoys.

Now if I could only get them to make goose floaters.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:30 pm

assateague wrote:I missed this earlier. The storm fronts I have have lasted very, very well, and they were cheaper than anything I could find on craigslist. Don't let anybody tell you different, they work just as well as $100 a dozen decoys.

They do.
http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_goos ... float.html
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
assateague wrote:I missed this earlier. The storm fronts I have have lasted very, very well, and they were cheaper than anything I could find on craigslist. Don't let anybody tell you different, they work just as well as $100 a dozen decoys.

They do.

:shock: I'll just keep picking up the old ones for $10 apiece at Canton and Bowie.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Keep your eyes in the cabelas website. The standard storefronts go on sale for less than $30/dozen on occasion. I run almost all storefronts and they are still going strong after 4 seasons. They did get a new paint job this past summer though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:36 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

They do.

:shock: I'll just keep picking up the old ones for $10 apiece at Canton and Bowie.

I don't understand why no one makes a cheap goose decoy. I know they are bigger than mallards, but you can get new cheap duck decoys for $2.50 a piece. I've never seen a goose decoy cheaper than $20 a decoy.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:38 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

They do.

What the hell you trying to do to me? Talk about a roller coaster of emotion. I pictured a dozen a Storm Front goose floaters for $60 or something.

To the original poster, for some reason, if you get into goose hunting you'll find that there is no such thing as affordable goose decoys. Nothing.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:39 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

They do.

I don't understand why no one makes a cheap goose decoy. I know they are bigger than mallards, but you can get new cheap duck decoys for $2.50 a piece. I've never seen a goose decoy cheaper than $20 a decoy.

Truth. Seems like it would be easy to sell them for $10 a piece. Even if you had to repaint them every season.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:41 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

They do.

What the hell you trying to do to me? Talk about a roller coaster of emotion. I pictured a dozen a Storm Front goose floaters for $60 or something.

To the original poster, for some reason, if you get into goose hunting you'll find that there is no such thing as affordable goose decoys. Nothing.

Be careful what you wish for. For goose decoys, imho, Bigfoot is the best for the $. They will literally outlast you.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:42 pm

That's not what I want. Hell, I could die tomorrow. Storm Fronts will be just fine, and they make paint every day.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:43 pm

I'd pay a $100/dozen for goose floaters in a heart beat. It's hard to find them for under a hundred for 4 though. It's ridiculous. It's the only thing that really keeps me from giving goose hunting a honest shot.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:44 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

They do.

Be careful what you wish for. For goose decoys, imho, Bigfoot is the best for the $. They will literally outlast you.

I thought bigfoot went to shit here recently. Maybe that was just the B2s but I thought I heard the floaters were shit too.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Cheapest I know of are $190/dozen, sportsplast brand.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:46 pm

From what I've read, it was just the B2's. I haven't bought any Bigfoot awhile, Dakota has become my route.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:46 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

They do.

But they are $30+ a decoy. A decent spread would run over a grand. That's just nuts.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 pm

I looked into buying a shipping container of them from China a while back. Could get them for about $55 a dozen, but they all had orange bills. Ridiculous. I asked if they could make me some with black bills, and they said no, I'd have to paint them myself. Since I had to buy, I think, 100 dozen, I wasn't looking to paint that many bills.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 pm

assateague wrote:I looked into buying a shipping container of them from China a while back. Could get them for about $55 a dozen, but they all had orange bills. Ridiculous. I asked if they could make me some with black bills, and they said no, I'd have to paint them myself. Since I had to buy, I think, 100 dozen, I wasn't looking to paint that many bills.

You were going to spend $5,500 on goose decoys!?!?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 pm

assateague wrote:I looked into buying a shipping container of them from China a while back. Could get them for about $55 a dozen, but they all had orange bills. Ridiculous. I asked if they could make me some with black bills, and they said no, I'd have to paint them myself. Since I had to buy, I think, 100 dozen, I wasn't looking to paint that many bills.

You actually considered buying 5k worth of decoys?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

You were going to spend $5,500 on goose decoys!?!?

Haha beat me to it.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Should've painted and flipped em.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Could you imagine what 1200 decoys sitting on the water would look like though?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Greenhorn Forum