One more question

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: One more question

Postby sws002 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:40 pm

firstflight wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
firstflight wrote:
sws002 wrote:
firstflight wrote:[quote="sws002"][quote="The Duck Hammer"][quote="Mohawkwoodman"]Ive had mallards fly or glide 100 feet or more with 4 shot even under 30 yards. Those successfully retrieved had fatal hits head shots, neck shots chest shots and all. Now i use only 2 or 1 for mallard reduces wading. 4 shot smokes wood ducks though.

You should see BB out of a 10 on mallards. It'll throw em backwards in the air. :lol:

Says the guy who killed 3.5 ducks last year...

How many did you kill sws90210 ?

Honestly, I don't keep that good of track. Safe bet is somewhere around 100. Once again, this is a running joke with Duck Hammer, just a heads up before you get all butthurt again.

Yeah I kinda don't believe you on 100 ducks. SHOW ME some pictures I bet you can't post up 50 ducks you shot ......
and I am real sure you where the one that got bent over and tore up then put away. How soon you forget Google boy. lets Recap they make 7.5 steel RIGHT[/quote]
I think it's time to put this to bed firstflight.
SWS made a 7.5 shot joke that's been a running thing here since RMFC make a thread about it. YOU blew it way out of proportion after that.[/quote]
Ah sorry boss I said I shoot 7.5 steel. sws90210 said no body ever made 7.5 steel . He was wrong End of story .[/quote]
False. I said nobody MAKES 7.5 steel. I know you struggle with words and such, but that is present tense, as in no one currently makes them, especially not Remington. You have produced nothing to the contrary, how am I wrong again?
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby firstflight » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 pm

sws002 wrote:
firstflight wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
firstflight wrote:
sws002 wrote:[quote="firstflight"][quote="sws002"][quote="The Duck Hammer"][quote="Mohawkwoodman"]Ive had mallards fly or glide 100 feet or more with 4 shot even under 30 yards. Those successfully retrieved had fatal hits head shots, neck shots chest shots and all. Now i use only 2 or 1 for mallard reduces wading. 4 shot smokes wood ducks though.

You should see BB out of a 10 on mallards. It'll throw em backwards in the air. :lol:

Honestly, I don't keep that good of track. Safe bet is somewhere around 100. Once again, this is a running joke with Duck Hammer, just a heads up before you get all butthurt again.

Yeah I kinda don't believe you on 100 ducks. SHOW ME some pictures I bet you can't post up 50 ducks you shot ......
and I am real sure you where the one that got bent over and tore up then put away. How soon you forget Google boy. lets Recap they make 7.5 steel RIGHT[/quote]
I think it's time to put this to bed firstflight.
SWS made a 7.5 shot joke that's been a running thing here since RMFC make a thread about it. YOU blew it way out of proportion after that.[/quote]
Ah sorry boss I said I shoot 7.5 steel. sws90210 said no body ever made 7.5 steel . He was wrong End of story .[/quote]
False. I said nobody MAKES 7.5 steel. I know you struggle with words and such, but that is present tense, as in no one currently makes them, especially not Remington. You have produced nothing to the contrary, how am I wrong again?[/quote]
Yep again Google boy never said when I bought them. Before you where even a twinkle in you daddy's eye .
firstflight

Postby sws002 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 pm

firstflight wrote:
sws002 wrote:
firstflight wrote:
sws002 wrote:
firstflight wrote:[quote="sws002"][quote="The Duck Hammer"][quote="Mohawkwoodman"]Ive had mallards fly or glide 100 feet or more with 4 shot even under 30 yards. Those successfully retrieved had fatal hits head shots, neck shots chest shots and all. Now i use only 2 or 1 for mallard reduces wading. 4 shot smokes wood ducks though.

It makes me happier than you can imagine to know how much I'm in your head right now. I couldn't give two shit whether you believe me or not. I'm already close to 20 birds on the year with our late zone opening tomorrow and heading to NoDak next week, I'll be over 50 birds by the time November rolls around with two months of season and the entire migration left.[/quote]
Bitch please .
Google boy I going to say you don't have anywhere near 2 ducks on the year. I bet my 12 year old has shot more ducks then you ever did just in youth season .
if you shot so many ducks post some up from this year bet you can't.
And just an fyi you're not in my head but like the 7.5 steel YOU ARE WRONG Google that .[/quote]
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Deltaman wrote:I remember reading an article in Outdoor Life when the change was happening, and the x-ray photos of the birds used for evidence had lead shot in areas they wouldn't have been had they actually been ingested. I'm not saying there weren't any that died due to lead poisoning, but it appeared the majority of the birds x-rayed in the article had been shot, maybe cripples, with lead in the neck and portions of the body that were meat, not guts.

The only such X-ray photos I recall from that period were of Canadas autopsied after a massive die-off from avian cholera or botulism or some-such that were used by the feds to demonstrate that lead must to be ingested (and turned into solution in the gizzard), rather than injected by gunfire, to be poisonous. Having had it in my head that crips all flew off to miserable deaths, I was pleased to see those x-rays and that many gunshot birds live through it to die of other causes.

It's a done deal and dead issue now, but the best presentation I've seen on the subject is A Review of the Problem of Lead Poisoning in Waterfowl by Glen C. Sanderson and Frank C. Bellrose, which can be read at this link: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/pbpoison/
Rick

Postby firstflight » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Ha ha
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
firstflight

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Rick wrote:On an only semi related note, it had been years since I'd seen anyone still boot-legging lead when the gentleman on the right, then well into his 80s:

was having gun trouble on that, his last, September teal hunt, and I traded him my 20 for the recalcitrant 12. TJ was a wealthy oil man who'd located his company in our area largely for its fine duck hunting, so I was a bit surprised to find he was shooting what appeared a Western Auto, or some such, pump with 2 3/4" chambering lacking enough port length to eject the 3" shells he was feeding it. Would have been even more surprised to find those 3" shells were lead 7 1/2s if I hadn't hunted TJ enough to know the cantankerous old cuss didn't believe in letting the feds, or much of anyone else, tell him what to do.

Then came the flash of instant karma. We shot our limits in short order, and I was in the pond shutting off the spinners when "BANG!" was followed immediately by "SPLASH!" Limits be damned, the old pirate couldn't resist taking a fortunately errant crack at a buzzing teal and fell on his butt in the edge of the pond. Told him it was God squaring things for all the birds he'd outlawed over the years.

Can post that photo without fear of cyber spying greenjeans, because they'd have to dig him up to prosecute. And am doing so because, despite being on opposite sides of the management fence, I miss he and several others I've known like him.

I'm going to make a hunt with Rick Hall before my time on earth is through....if only to hear his stories.

Do it.

Flightstopper only says that because he doesn't know I'm now telling folks about him.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Kids, that crap's off limits in the greenhorn forum. Don't make Olly come back from MI just to lower the ban hammer.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Rick wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Rick wrote:On an only semi related note, it had been years since I'd seen anyone still boot-legging lead when the gentleman on the right, then well into his 80s:

was having gun trouble on that, his last, September teal hunt, and I traded him my 20 for the recalcitrant 12. TJ was a wealthy oil man who'd located his company in our area largely for its fine duck hunting, so I was a bit surprised to find he was shooting what appeared a Western Auto, or some such, pump with 2 3/4" chambering lacking enough port length to eject the 3" shells he was feeding it. Would have been even more surprised to find those 3" shells were lead 7 1/2s if I hadn't hunted TJ enough to know the cantankerous old cuss didn't believe in letting the feds, or much of anyone else, tell him what to do.

Then came the flash of instant karma. We shot our limits in short order, and I was in the pond shutting off the spinners when "BANG!" was followed immediately by "SPLASH!" Limits be damned, the old pirate couldn't resist taking a fortunately errant crack at a buzzing teal and fell on his butt in the edge of the pond. Told him it was God squaring things for all the birds he'd outlawed over the years.

Can post that photo without fear of cyber spying greenjeans, because they'd have to dig him up to prosecute. And am doing so because, despite being on opposite sides of the management fence, I miss he and several others I've known like him.

I'm going to make a hunt with Rick Hall before my time on earth is through....if only to hear his stories.

Do it.

Flightstopper only says that because he doesn't know I'm now telling folks about him.

I'm sure 'non speck shooting sob's' is hardly left out :lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Just realized that I'd have to get a new gun first, since one is ported and the other has a 24" tube
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Rick wrote:Kids, that crap's off limits in the greenhorn forum. Don't make Olly come back from MI just to lower the ban hammer.

Sheesh Rick's right, I wasn't paying attention to where this was located...keep it on topic.

Apologies to the OP.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Just realized that I'd have to get a new gun first, since one is ported and the other has a 24" tube

Make sure to show up with a ported 24" break action
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:22 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Rick wrote:Kids, that crap's off limits in the greenhorn forum. Don't make Olly come back from MI just to lower the ban hammer.

Sheesh Rick's right, I wasn't paying attention to where this was located...keep it on topic.

Apologies to the OP.

I'm way off topic, too, sorry Captrae.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Rick wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:

Apologies to the OP.

You should be. Damn trouble makers.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:35 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Rick wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:

Apologies to the OP.

You should be. Damn trouble makers.

I'm banning myself. At least until the lawn is mowed.
Rick

Postby firstflight » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Sorry some times I get lost in here taptalk .
firstflight

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Cream corn
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Deltaman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Rick wrote:
Deltaman wrote:I remember reading an article in Outdoor Life when the change was happening, and the x-ray photos of the birds used for evidence had lead shot in areas they wouldn't have been had they actually been ingested. I'm not saying there weren't any that died due to lead poisoning, but it appeared the majority of the birds x-rayed in the article had been shot, maybe cripples, with lead in the neck and portions of the body that were meat, not guts.

The only such X-ray photos I recall from that period were of Canadas autopsied after a massive die-off from avian cholera or botulism or some-such that were used by the feds to demonstrate that lead must to be ingested (and turned into solution in the gizzard), rather than injected by gunfire, to be poisonous. Having had it in my head that crips all flew off to miserable deaths, I was pleased to see those x-rays and that many gunshot birds live through it to die of other causes.

It's a done deal and dead issue now, but the best presentation I've seen on the subject is A Review of the Problem of Lead Poisoning in Waterfowl by Glen C. Sanderson and Frank C. Bellrose, which can be read at this link: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/pbpoison/

WOW, lot of data in this article Rick. I briefly read the mortality rate portion of this report and was very surprised by some of the findings. Makes me feel a little better about having to make the switch to steel, and as you mentioned, it is a dead subject now. Thanks for the info!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Mohawkwoodman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Confused, was just giving my experiance with 4 shot on mallards. Hit em and they dont always fall but glide further in the marsh makes me wade to find them more then needed. Hmm some guys use that remington express upland game shot aint that lead?
Mohawkwoodman

Postby firstflight » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Mohawkwoodman wrote:Confused, was just giving my experiance with 4 shot on mallards. Hit em and they dont always fall but glide further in the marsh makes me wade to find them more then needed. Hmm some guys use that remington express upland game shot aint that lead?

Yes it is lead. But Check with sws90210 to be sure.
firstflight

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 pm

I thought Olly wanted us to keep the greenhorn forum on topic, not talk about how sws was wrong and how he doesn't kill any ducks, and that they do in fact make steel 7.5s, and how right we are, and try to bait arguments.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Yeah we dropped the ball on this one with no help from Tapatalk again.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bad17 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Shame shame shame.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Capttrae » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 pm

No apologies needed, found out what I needed to know. The rest was pure entertainment.
Capttrae

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Capttrae wrote:No apologies needed, found out what I needed to know. The rest was pure entertainment.

That tends to happen here a bit. We try and keep our shenanigans in the blind forum, but we slip us on occasion. Good to see we didn't scare you off.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Capttrae wrote:No apologies needed, found out what I needed to know. The rest was pure entertainment.

You would fit in well here if you enjoyed that on your maiden thread.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Glad your back capt, click on over to the blind and stay awhile.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Greenhorn Forum