Calling

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Calling

Postby Capttrae » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Ok, got a quick question on calling, I can make what I think is the basic hailing call, but how do I make the feeding chuckle I think it's called?
Capttrae

Re: Calling

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Tug-a-tug-a
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Most start with a Tika tika but whatever you 'say' just make sure to start slow. Start with the tik-a one at a time and eventually build on it. Speed will come with time and just make sure you are making the correct sounds primarily.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Folks who get tongue tied with feed call reference words starting with "t" might want to give "gudd-a" a shot, as it moves the work from the tip of the tongue farther back, where it may be easier to get started and also makes a nice variation whether one struggles with "tick-a" or not.
Rick

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:36 pm

I like a dig...dig...dug...dug
Simple and it works start slow and get the sounds down. Don't start any bad habits by trying to go faster than you can. Tough to change a habit once you get in one.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:31 pm

I couldn't roll my tongue at all when I started, still can't, but duga duga helped me a bunch. It's all personal preference. I started out only being able to do three licks that were clearly separated and can do a very fast feed now. It took me 6 months of calling everyday so you can't give up. Kelly Haydel's videos on YouTube helped me a bunch.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Deltaman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:25 am

Practice, practice, practice.............your wife may not appreciate it, so you might think about putting your call in the truck and practicing when driving alone.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Deltaman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:41 am

........or buy a shaker call, easy peasy as long as you are hidden well enough to move your arm without scaring the birds. Back in the days when we had enough Mallards to make a hunt on them down here, many hours were spent perfecting technique. Nowadays, 90% of our delta birds are Gadwalls, and when it comes to calling, less is more. I am lucky enough to hunt the LA marsh South of Venice a couple of times each year, and the Gadwalls down there will come to a call like they are on a string. Not so here, in Mobile, AL, as these birds are so pressured that we rarely use a call, and only do so when the "Smartwalls" are trying to land out, and just enough to pull them closer. It is funny to watch the newbies (Duck Dynasty Wannabes), trying to call these birds, and flare the shit out of them.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:40 am

Deltaman wrote:........or buy a shaker call...

But don't be surprised when the old guys call it a "horse dick". There's a doctor who hunts at our camp and drives the guides nuts playing with his.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 am

Rick wrote:

But don't be surprised when the old guys call it a "horse dick". There's a doctor who hunts at our camp and drives the guides nuts playing with his.

:lol: my brother bought one a few years back. Don't remover ever using it in the blind just annoyed the shit out of my mother with it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Deltaman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Rick wrote:

:lol:
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Capttrae » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks y'all, I've got a 13 hour drive home week after next and a lanyard full of calls to play w/ on the way there so hopefully I'll have it down by the time I get home
Capttrae

Postby Rick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:47 am

Best of luck with it.
Rick

Postby IndianaYakFish » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:41 pm

I'm not very good at calling, but get plenty of practice in during my 20 minute drive to work every day. Just have to put the calls down when you pass a cop so they don't think you're hitting a crack pipe.

:roll:
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Return to Greenhorn Forum