Colors?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Colors?

Postby IndianaYakFish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Am wanting to order a new call and trying to decide what color I want. I was leaning towards the orange pearl color but a friend said it'll flare ducks. So if that's true, why do I see so many guys with neon green lanyards and bright colored calls? Is it motion that mostly spooks ducks or should I order a different color? I understand a blind and surrounding camo helps, but most of my public land hunting is along a river where I just stand in the trees onshore.
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Re: Colors?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm gonna say your friend doesn't know shit. Ive got a couple orange pearl calls and my lanyard now has a call that's the clear flo green. Call color don't flare birds. You hand moving or your face or something like that is what gets you busted. If you want an orange call buy it.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:24 pm

When a duck flares from the color of a call, just give him time to get farther out before shooting, so you don't mince him.
Rick

Postby Bad17 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Rick wrote:When a duck flares from the color of a call, just give him time to get farther out before shooting, so you don't mince him.

That's right
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby IndianaYakFish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Lol! Thanks guys. You both made me laugh today. Orange it is!
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Postby firstflight » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Plus Orange is a lot easier to find when you drop it.
firstflight

Postby IndianaYakFish » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks again for the help guys. I called and ordered an orange pearl Gander Valley Custom Calls' Homewrecker this morning.
-Jameson
IndianaYakFish

Postby Olly » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Movement is way more important than color. I'd rather hunt with someone in an orange rain suit that knows how to be still than someone that moves around when ducks are coming in and decked out in Max 700
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:11 am

Olly wrote:I'd rather hunt with someone in an orange rain suit that knows how to be still than someone that moves around when ducks are coming in and decked out in Max 700

As long as the birds haven't been given reason to associate it with trouble, color ain't nothin' but a thing:

Haven't had occasion to in recent years, but have shot a mess of specks while hidden by big orange water control curtains.
Rick

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Heck there's a guy who uses a purple gun around here
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Goldfish wrote:Heck there's a guy who uses a purple gun around here

Think it's pink. Muddy girl camo or some shit.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:37 pm

He left when he got his feelings hurt for being asked to stop breaking the rules.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:48 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Think it's pink. Muddy girl camo or some shit.

Same difference, lol
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby sws002 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:14 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:I'm gonna say your friend doesn't know shit. Ive got a couple orange pearl calls and my lanyard now has a call that's the clear flo green. Call color don't flare birds. You hand moving or your face or something like that is what gets you busted. If you want an orange call buy it.

Coming from the guy who killed 2 ducks last year!

Lol. Sorry, had to.

But seriously, like Rick said, if they are flaring off your calls, wait about a second and a half and start shooting. I can't count how many times I've had nearly this exact same conversation. Another one that gets me is decoy cord, I've had people tell me birds flare off seeing the black decoy cord in the water.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:30 am

sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:I'm gonna say your friend doesn't know shit. Ive got a couple orange pearl calls and my lanyard now has a call that's the clear flo green. Call color don't flare birds. You hand moving or your face or something like that is what gets you busted. If you want an orange call buy it.

Coming from the guy who killed 2 ducks last year!

Lol. Sorry, had to.

But seriously, like Rick said, if they are flaring off your calls, wait about a second and a half and start shooting. I can't count how many times I've had nearly this exact same conversation. Another one that gets me is decoy cord, I've had people tell me birds flare off seeing the black decoy cord in the water.

Figured that'd come long before now.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Return to Greenhorn Forum