When to shoot

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

When to shoot

Postby bwtucker83 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm

This might be like a very stupid question. However, I am wondering when I should shoot. I've heard people complain of sky blasting, and I know I don't do that. If anything I wait to long and miss shots. I'm always thinking there will be a better shot, and I feel like I am passing up on a lot of shots. Obviously if they have cupped wings and coming in, I will shoot. Or if I jump shoot them, I shoot. But ducks that are flying low by the decoys, or circling the decoys....I"m just not sure when to pull the trigger. Is there a rule to follow on this? I'm always hoping they will commit to the decoys..... but they usually don't.

I'm shooting 12 gauge 3 inch shells size 4 shot.

Thanks in advance!
bwtucker83

Re: When to shoot

Postby Olly » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 pm

I set my decoys up for the range I want to shoot and any duck that comes within that range gets shot at. Obviously I'm talking about horizontal distance and not height, they need to be low enough also.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:51 pm

I read somewhere that if the bird is the size or bigger than the barrel of a 12 ga when you're looking down it start shooting. Do I go off that? Hell if I know. When they look in range I start shooting.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:06 pm

I'm a fairly inexperienced hunter, so take this for what it's worth. And ducks are different everywhere and act differently in different situations. You'll pick up on that more and more as you go. It all really comes down to reading the ducks. I don't know how to explain it, or what to look for. It's just something I guess you kinda pick up from experience. If the ducks look like they are really interested, let them work. If you are really forcing them to come into range, shoot them when you get the first chance. It depends on the type of duck too. If I'm setup for puddlers and a diver comes rocketing across the spread, odds are it isn't going to swing around. So it's a take it or leave it opportunity. I guess a general rule that I tried to follow when I first started is if they don't look like they are gonna finish on the 3rd pass, then I'm gonna be shooting. Now if it's a big flock, they might take a few more passes to get their ducks in a row before they decide to finish.
Best of luck. Calling the shot can be a tough thing to do, usually leaves you with the "damn, I shoulda shot" feeling.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firstflight » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:44 pm

If there in under 10 yards pile them up. The rest is anybody's guess when to shoot when to wait it a gamble. if there close shoot them in the face.
I really like to let them land then rain steel on them. But you can't always count on the all landing where you want or at all.
shoot them when you feel comfortable. Good luck
firstflight

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm

If the ducks are falling, you are not doing anything wrong and they were not too far. If you cannot hit them to save your life outside 30 yards, then anything beyond 30 yards is sky busting until you improve at the range to the point where you can hit them further out. I really don't think anything but experience and an honest assessment of your capabilities can help in this regard. Certain shots I have much more confidence and shoot further. Any duck dropping in over my right shoulder and hooking to my left is safe at any distance :oops:

And where I hunt, geese are freaking big, so if in doubt, they are probably too damn far.

As far as when to shoot for birds within your effective range, there is no simple answer because there is a lot of subjectivity. I pass on a lot of birds that I could shoot, but I get a lot of joy out of working birds so I am in no particular hurry to shoot and just accept that it costs me birds. Duck hunting is entertainment, so whatever entertains you the most. Some days I'm a lot quicker on the trigger and other days they pretty much have to splash down in the spread and some days that is not even enough if it is a hen mallard. Other days the hen mallard gets whacked on the first pass in range.

So don't over think it and this is true.

NuffDaddy wrote:And ducks are different everywhere and act differently in different situations. You'll pick up on that more and more as you go. It all really comes down to reading the ducks.

NuffDaddy wrote:Calling the shot can be a tough thing to do, usually leaves you with the "damn, I shoulda shot" feeling.
Especially when not hunting alone.
SpinnerMan

Return to Greenhorn Forum