New Indiana duck hunter wanna be :)

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Postby Wade2131 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:49 pm

I have been reading all I can find on-line and looking at post on this fourm for quite sometime, but being a new duck hunter I want to get started off right. First I reviewed the Indiana duck hunting regs - and WOW I reall need a good source to identiy ducks! So that is the first question, what is a good source I can use and take afield if needed.
Bag limits in Indiana are as follows:

Daily Bag limits 6
goldeneyes
ruddy ducks
ring-necked ducks
buffleheads
gadwalls
long-tailed ducks
scoters
teal
wigeon
shovel heads
Included in the 6 are:
mallards 4
scaup 3
wood ducks 3
pintails 2
redheads 2
canvasback 1
black duck 1
mottled ducks 1

daily bag limits:
coots 15
canada Geese 3
white-footed geese 2
brant 1
light snow and ross geese 20
megansers 5

This is could be a lot of ducks - especially the light snow geese and coots! But I really need to bea able to properly identify each species.

Secondly, I will be hunting frmo a boat (wareagle 860) in mostly flodded timber and small rivers, so ?s are:
1. will a 20 GA suffice or do I need a 12 ga, shot type is called out in the regs as well.
2. What type of decoys and calls do I need and how many
3. Will I need waders, dont know if I will need to get out of the boat
4. If would love to use a dog but that is a long term commitment, if I go this route what bread? I assume a lab.
Most people deer hunt around my location and finding a true duck hunter is near impossible so learning with a mentor is not easy.

Thx
Any help would be great!
Wade2131

Re: New Indiana duck hunter wanna be :)

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:52 pm

This book is good for identifying birds in hand, but there are also identity help stuff of DU and deltas websites.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417629119.883081.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:55 pm

20 gauge will do you just fine. Starting out a dozen stormfront flambeaus will work. A mallard call will bring in just about anything you see, my favorite cheap call is the Quackhead j-frame. Waders aren't necessary but nice to have.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bad17 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:57 pm

LeMaster is a great book. Ducks Unlimited has an app that is full of useful info on duck ID. Duck commander has one. I know there are no shortage of Indiana duck and goose hunters. Consult with your local Ducks Unlimited chapter and I guarantee you will find someone willing to help you and show you the ropes. Decoys you can buy cheap or expensive I personally would never buy storm front flambeau just because they never make it a whole season with me. Scout your area see what kind of ducks you have and buy your decoys accordingly. Duck calls get you a mallard call and a 6 in 1 whistle. That should cover just about everything you should see. Plus the whistle is vey easy to use. You will always have to get out of the boat I would buy some waders don't have to be expensive jus some so you will have them. Dog I recommend a Lab. You also realize your limit is six with a no more than on the other ones with a number beside them. I would also go with a 12 GUAGE but that's me. A 20 will work.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby IndianaYakFish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Where are you located in Indiana? Welcome to the site!
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Postby Wade2131 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:41 pm

IndianaYakFish wrote:Where are you located in Indiana? Welcome to the site!

Scottsburg, about 30 minutes north of Louisville KY -

Thanks to everyone who responded!
Wade2131

Postby Wade2131 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:47 pm

I thought the bag limit was 6 of any combination listed: ie 4 mallards and 2 teals. Then not exceeding the following per species.
coots 15
canada Geese 3
white-footed geese 2
brant 1
megansers 5

Wow the regs are confusing i guess.... That why I ask :)
Wade2131

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Wade2131 wrote:I thought the bag limit was 6 of any combination listed: ie 4 mallards and 2 teals.

That is correct. Now I don't know about your state but where I hunt we have dark(Canadas and white fronts) and light(snows and Ross's) geese limits. Specifically 3 darks not to include more than 2 specks(white fronts). Yours may be different but something that might need to be looked into.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Flyway Stalker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:55 pm

It's true the LeMaster is a great book, but if you want something on you thats handy and have a smart phone, try the Ducks Unlimited app. It has everything from sun up / down to Duck ID with colorfull photographs of a ton of ducks and geese.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Flyway Stalker

Postby Bad17 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:45 pm

LeMaster also has an app
Bad17

Postby Bad17 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Wade2131 wrote:I thought the bag limit was 6 of any combination listed: ie 4 mallards and 2 teals. Then not exceeding the following per species.
coots 15
canada Geese 3
white-footed geese 2
brant 1
megansers 5

Wow the regs are confusing i guess.... That why I ask :)

That's correct. 6 in the aggregate not having any more than any certain species listed.
Bad17

Postby IndianaYakFish » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:15 am

Wade2131 wrote:Scottsburg, about 30 minutes north of Louisville KY.

Well crap. I'm up here near Fort Wayne and was hoping you were closer. I agree with the idea of checking into your local Ducks Unlimited chapter and get involved. I'm sure guys will be happy to show you the ropes and take you hunting, as long as you respect their spots and such.

http://www.ducks.org/indiana/indiana-co ... a-chapters

As for identifying ducks, the apps and books are a great idea. I like the DU app and will have to check out the other one mentioned.
-Jameson
"I intend to learn to call waterfowl even if in the process I offend every ear in the country—and I just might."—Gene Hill
IndianaYakFish

Postby firstflight » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:12 am

Wade2131
I sent you a p.m.
firstflight

Postby Flyway Stalker » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:36 am

IndianaYakFish wrote:

Well crap. I'm up here near Fort Wayne and was hoping you were closer. I agree with the idea of checking into your local Ducks Unlimited chapter and get involved. I'm sure guys will be happy to show you the ropes and take you hunting, as long as you respect their spots and such.

As for identifying ducks, the apps and books are a great idea. I like the DU app and will have to check out the other one mentioned.

The key 2 words in that quote were GET INVOLVED, some guys think by joining a DU Chapter or going to the dinner some how intitles them to a bunch of invites. You will need to help on a DU Chapter committee and stay comited and involved and dont set your expectations for an invite to high, you will need to build relationships and trust before anyone will feel comfortable inviting you to a spot that they worked hard for and spent a long time getting, this may happen quickly for you, but may also take a couple years. Regardless, just being a DU member will give you good reliable resources to ask questions and the DU magazine has some spectacular tips and articals to make you a better waterfowler.
Don't rely to much on the hunting vidio's, they are more hype on getting you pumped up to buy products than to educate you on what you need to do in the field to acheive success. Try reading more books and magazines on tips and stratagies, offer to help someone work on, and get their blind cleaned up after the season (even if you did'nt hunt there this year) it may pay off for an invite next season, and of course, offer this spring and through the summer to help get the blind ready for the new season.
For example: Find someone you would like to hunt with, approuch them with some hunting questions and strike up some conversation, at the end of that conversation just through out a quick comment like: Hey, thanks for the info, it really helped, if you ever need some help getting your spot ready, feel free to ask me, I would love to do something like that. This way you have'nt invited yourself and told him you are willing to do the work to earn an invite.
Sorry if I'm a little long, but hope this helps.
Good Luck!
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Flyway Stalker

Postby Bad17 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:54 am

Flyway Stalker wrote:
IndianaYakFish wrote:

The key 2 words in that quote were GET INVOLVED, some guys think by joining a DU Chapter or going to the dinner some how intitles them to a bunch of invites. You will need to help on a DU Chapter committee and stay comited and involved and dont set your expectations for an invite to high, you will need to build relationships and trust before anyone will feel comfortable inviting you to a spot that they worked hard for and spent a long time getting, this may happen quickly for you, but may also take a couple years. Regardless, just being a DU member will give you good reliable resources to ask questions and the DU magazine has some spectacular tips and articals to make you a better waterfowler.
Don't rely to much on the hunting vidio's, they are more hype on getting you pumped up to buy products than to educate you on what you need to do in the field to acheive success. Try reading more books and magazines on tips and stratagies, offer to help someone work on, and get their blind cleaned up after the season (even if you did'nt hunt there this year) it may pay off for an invite next season, and of course, offer this spring and through the summer to help get the blind ready for the new season.
For example: Find someone you would like to hunt with, approuch them with some hunting questions and strike up some conversation, at the end of that conversation just through out a quick comment like: Hey, thanks for the info, it really helped, if you ever need some help getting your spot ready, feel free to ask me, I would love to do something like that. This way you have'nt invited yourself and told him you are willing to do the work to earn an invite.
Sorry if I'm a little long, but hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Exactly. It's all about building a relationship. It a lot of hard work but it can pay off. Don't be "that guy" who offers help and then when asked has an excuse to not help. If you can't go that day tell them you can't and tell them why and offer days that you can help they may move the blind work days to the days in which you can help. Don't be late be early and bring breakfast or offer to. Bust your ass so they will see you are serious. Socialize with them don't just call or text right before season starts. Be a contributing member. Bring something to the group.
Bad17

Postby Wade2131 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks to everyone for the responses, it really shed light on the world of duck hunting :)
Wade2131

Return to Greenhorn Forum