Another Greenhorn ?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Another Greenhorn ?

Postby Wade2131 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:26 am

I was watching video and reading forums on decoy placements and preparation. WOW some people suggested 50 to 100 decoys :duck: !! I am sticking with a dozen or so like you guys suggested.

Question is rigging the decoy, how long should the anchor string be, I know it depends on where your hunting and the water depth. But should the decoy have a lot of slack to move around? Should the anchor attached to the front or back of the decoy?

There are per rigged systems to about 60 inches, is it better to build your own or buy per rigged anchors?
Sorry for the stupid questions but this is the greenhorn forum :)

Any comments on why electronic calls are not allowed? We can use electronic calls for predator hunting etc,

Thx
Wade
Wade2131

Re: Another Greenhorn ?

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:45 am

Wade2131 wrote:I was watching video and reading forums on decoy placements and preparation. WOW some people suggested 50 to 100 decoys :duck: !! I am sticking with a dozen or so like you guys suggested.

The number of decoys really depends on the situation...
If you hunt a place that holds lots of ducks you will need more decoys to mimic the real world situation and the opposite if there are not many ducks around.

Also, some places don't require any decoys if you are on the "X"

Some places I hunt with 0-6 decoys, others I hunt with 8-10 dozen.

Wade2131 wrote:Question is rigging the decoy, how long should the anchor string be, I know it depends on where your hunting and the water depth. But should the decoy have a lot of slack to move around? Should the anchor attached to the front or back of the decoy?

Some slack is best. If there is any current you will need either slack in the line or excessive weight to hold the decoy in place (just like a boat anchor).

Also, some slack allows for movement in the wind and movement is a key feature in a decoy spread.

Wade2131 wrote:There are per rigged systems to about 60 inches, is it better to build your own or buy per rigged anchors?
Sorry for the stupid questions but this is the greenhorn forum :)

That depends on what you value, your time or your money?

Wade2131 wrote:Any comments on why electronic calls are not allowed? We can use electronic calls for predator hunting etc,

Because the government says so... It is illegal to throw corn in a pond and hunt anywhere near it, but go right ahead and flood a corn field... no one really knows why the government does anything it does.

Wade2131 wrote:Thx
Wade

You are welcome! :beer: :thumbsup:
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:32 pm

He covered it.

I attach 20-30% of the decoys at the back, just so they don't all face the same direction.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Good advice
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:42 pm

They pretty well covered it. If your going to be in current or rough water you'll want your lines at least 3x as long as the depth of water. (6' lines for 2' of water) That helps them hold better. Calm water Id want 1.5-2x the length to allow movement without getting tangled. I hunt anywhere from a couple inches to around 4'. I use Texas rigs and made my lines 5.5' long. I wouldn't go any longer than that with Texas rigged wights.
There is a thread on here somewhere that shows how to make Texas rigs if you are interested in that route.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:21 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:He covered it.

I attach 20-30% of the decoys at the back, just so they don't all face the same direction.

I knew I forgot to answer one question.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:05 pm

That's two demerits for you.
Rick

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:26 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:He covered it.

You can rig them all in front, and loop the line around the rear of the keel to have them face the opposite direction as well.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:46 pm

That's way more effort than I put into shooting park ducks.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Just another tip for the rookie!
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Return to Greenhorn Forum