Single shot size for steel

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Single shot size for steel

Postby birdsmacker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:45 pm

This year will be my first waterfowl hunt. In the mean time, I am buying a 12ga shotgun specifically for steel (3" chamber) and I will work up some loads over the spring and summer. I'm in Upper Michigan right by (2,000 yards away) from Lake Superior and I will see more Canadian geese than ducks. Is there a good shot size that will work effectively on both? I plan to load a moderate 1 1/8 to 1 1/4oz load in a 12ga 3" shell to ~1400-1450fps for 35-40y shots at the longest.

Reading magazines I gather that BB is great for all around geese and #2 is great for all around ducks. What about a good for both shot size? Should I just buy a bag of each size from #2 to BB and pattern?
New to waterfowl hunting. Looking to start next year, in 2015.

Ducks Unlimited member in the Copper Country chapter.
birdsmacker

Re: Single shot size for steel

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:10 pm

There are many better loaders out there than I but I would choose #1's. I shoot 2's all season on ducks but we don't see geese. Your speeds are spot on for getting a fast enough load but still retain pattern density. You have any loads in mind yet?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:41 am

All 4 of the geese I shot this year fell dead as a hammer when hit with 2's.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby birdsmacker » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:38 am

Flightstopper wrote:There are many better loaders out there than I but I would choose #1's. I shoot 2's all season on ducks but we don't see geese. Your speeds are spot on for getting a fast enough load but still retain pattern density. You have any loads in mind yet?

Still looking into loads. I have the Lyman, Rick Sapp's book, and the Alliant manual. Powder will likely be from Alliant, being Blue Dot or Steel. I'm looking for a simple load without a lot of fancy inserts. Under/over cards are acceptable. Hulls are going to be the main issue, as I only load 2 3/4 lead for 12ga and 20ga, so I will have to buy some 3 inch hulls. I think a solid 1 1/8oz at 1400-1450fps is what I would be happy with.

birdsmacker

Postby Bad17 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:45 am

Hammer you killed something
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:47 am

2's would be my suggestion for all around
IndianaMallard64

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:38 am

Stick with steel powder, no need for blue dot or any others now days.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:52 am

Lots of people really like the LBC 43 and the CSD wads. You can get the CSD's from both ballistic products and precision, although at precision they go by the name B&P and come pre slit. Another great manual is lightning steel as well as the RSI manual. The RSI has some of the best 3" loads but you are stuck using their wads.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:06 am

Flightstopper wrote:Lots of people really like the LBC 43 and the CSD wads. You can get the CSD's from both ballistic products and precision, although at precision they go by the name B&P and come pre slit. Another great manual is lightning steel as well as the RSI manual. The RSI has some of the best 3" loads but you are stuck using their wads.

And that can be a good thing , if they work well in your gun/choke combo ! Pattern it and see , is how you find-out !

Even tho I have a ample supply of A Steel......it's sure hard to find here...and...other places I've looked !
3200 Man

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:35 am

I suppose I worded that bad, they are great wads but years ago at least the slits were all over the place.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:21 am

birdsmacker wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:There are many better loaders out there than I but I would choose #1's. I shoot 2's all season on ducks but we don't see geese. Your speeds are spot on for getting a fast enough load but still retain pattern density. You have any loads in mind yet?

Still looking into loads. I have the Lyman, Rick Sapp's book, and the Alliant manual. Powder will likely be from Alliant, being Blue Dot or Steel. I'm looking for a simple load without a lot of fancy inserts. Under/over cards are acceptable. Hulls are going to be the main issue, as I only load 2 3/4 lead for 12ga and 20ga, so I will have to buy some 3 inch hulls. I think a solid 1 1/8oz at 1400-1450fps is what I would be happy with.

RSI loads #64, 65, and 66 would work great using Fed Gold Medal 2 3/4". I would load those with #1shot. In 3" versions I like RSI #88, and 133, both also use the 2 3/4" wad, as with the previous loads listed, I've had better luck with them than the 3" wads. I would load those with #2, they use Rem 3" or Cheddite 3" hulls.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Rick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Flightstopper wrote:There are many better loaders out there than I but I would choose #1's

I'm wit' him.
Rick

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:12 pm

I shoot 2's for everything.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:04 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
birdsmacker wrote:

RSI loads #64, 65, and 66 would work great using Fed Gold Medal 2 3/4". I would load those with #1shot. In 3" versions I like RSI #88, and 133, both also use the 2 3/4" wad, as with the previous loads listed, I've had better luck with them than the 3" wads. I would load those with #2, they use Rem 3" or Cheddite 3" hulls.

It's hard to beat field proven loads as 2 3/4'' hulls , it's all a fella needs........until the mighty 10 comes out ,

In My case !
3200 Man

Postby birdsmacker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:31 am

I think I need to buy some steel manuals and read up some more. I hate to just buy ammo. I haven't shot factory ammo in over 8 years. :thumbsup:

birdsmacker

Return to Greenhorn Forum