Decoy species?

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Re: Decoy species?

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:11 am

Welcome to the forum. I don't believe species matters much, if at all, to most.
Rick

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:21 am

The only birds that I've found it made a difference to are Goldeneyes.
Everything else, not at all.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:37 am

I like using at least 5 species or more in my big water spread. Bluebill decoys can be seen for a very very long way off. The first time I saw someone with bluebills decoys on the water I noticed that holy shit they glow and stick out big time in a marsh where there are 14 groups, all using standard mallard setups. Right then I understood why companies like Herters included 12 bluebills decoys in their puddle packs. Used to be you could get a deal with bsg, weigyts, strings, and everything for two dozen dekes. Real quick I repainted some mallard hens into bluebills. Oh boy it works... stick the bluebills in a line off to the side. Ducks are curious and,will fly over to take a look or even land. Once I started using bluebills I started killing non mallards much more. Pintails etc.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:41 am

Another tip: when you re paint decoys make the white areas a little exaggerated. Flock the white parts and keep them clean. White is the most visible color in the field. You will kill more ducks ...make the white parts extra white. ;)
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 pm

TyrelPalmer wrote:I haven't done bluebills but picked up some cheap Flambeau Pintails and was SHOCKED at how much the white stood out. Went out and bought me a pack of Avian X Pintails, and I've been thinking about adding some Bluebills or Goldeneye.

I got some pintail decoys as well. The yellow and white on them pops.
By using more than one species of decoys you add dimension, color, and brightness.

The club I hunted at that kills 1000's of ducks per season out of 2 blinds uses gadwall, you name it. Killed a lot of specks over six canada goose floaters back then. Speck decoys were sort of hard to get but we had geese in the duck spreads.
aunt betty

Return to Greenhorn Forum