New to duck hunting - Florida

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

New to duck hunting - Florida

Postby JaredF » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Hey guys, I’m in the central Florida area. Right around the St. John’s river and lake Monroe. I’ve done some deer hunting back when I was younger with my dads friend. But have never really duck hunted. I have a 1436 jon boat with a surface drive that I’ve been running around the St. John’s and Econ river. And would like to get into duck hunting this year with my girlfriend and eventually introduce my daughter to it, as she loves anything outdoors and on the water.

That being said, I’ve gone through a lot of posts on this forum and have learned a lot. But was hoping some of y’all can give me some advice on Florida duck hunting as far as decoys and set up. How to hunt from a boat, and what to look for when scouting. Besides ducks obviously. I know, like most things, it’s a learning adventure. But with the right advice and guidance, learning can be done much easier and more successful
JaredF

Re: New to duck hunting - Florida

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 am

Welcome! Don’t know that anyone here is located in Florida, though I think SpinnerMan spends some time down there in the winter.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:40 am

Duck Engr wrote:Welcome! Don’t know that anyone here is located in Florida, though I think SpinnerMan spends some time down there in the winter.

I do, but I'm on the west coast.

I wish I wasn't so far away (about 3 hours) because I love taking new people out. I've got a new guy up here that I was expecting to introduce to duck hunting this year, although a slot opened up in one of the other blinds and he's now hunting with 2 great guys that hunt a lot so I may not be hunting with him as much as expected. Getting out with someone that knows what they are doing is obviously the best way to do it.

I would suggest a couple guided trips in the area with different guides. You get to see what they do. You can ask why they are doing what they are doing. It will help speed the learning curve and should give you a good hunt or two to avoid discouragement if you start out slow.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Best thing I did to get acclimated when I moved to my current area was join and become as active as possible with the local hunting retriever club - even or, more likely, because I didn't have a retriever at the time. (Folks with dogs are a lot more likely to invite new friends hunting than new friends with dogs.) I helped with their training days and tests and found myself invited to some top areas with guys who, for the most part, knew the local ropes.
Rick

Return to Greenhorn Forum