I'll get the ball rolling

I'll get the ball rolling

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm

I haven't had the time to do any waterfowl taxidermy in a while. The most recent things that would barely qualify are a couple deer plaque mounts and a set of warthog tusks on a repro skull.
uploadfromtaptalk1361246160538.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Re: I'll get the ball rolling

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1361246227422.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361246246045.jpg
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Some of my bird mounts I've done.
I definitely over extended the wings on the cinnamon too far forward. Live and learn.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 pm

You don't see many shoulder mounts. I like it.

Sent from my phone
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Olly wrote:You don't see many shoulder mounts. I like it.

Sent from my phone

I did it more or less as a joke and then liked it, so I hung it in my living room.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1361246879667.jpg

I didn't mount this bird but I did shoot it. A very good taxidermist elsewhere that goes by the name duxrus asked if I would 'gift' him a nice speciman for his showroom. They shoot lots of hoodies and red breasted where he but needed the trifecta completed. He suspended the crawdad by his antenna.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 pm

I'm getting my speck back in a month. I am beyond pumped. Your mounts look good, I agree with the shoulder mount. Not very many guys have one of those in the house.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I want one now.

Sent from my phone
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 pm

3geese4me wrote:I'm getting my speck back in a month. I am beyond pumped. Your mounts look good, I agree with the shoulder mount. Not very many guys have one of those in the house.

I thought about doing one with a honker that had a white stripe above his eyes, like a uni-brow, to be a space saver.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm

I didn't mount these, they are one my brother and I shot we have down at our shop.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Only thing I've ever done. Made the plaque, also, if that counts for extra. Tripod, you ever do any dead mounts? I have a buddy that did a couple using Borax, builders foam, and some coat hangers, but he's not "real good" at explaining how to do it. That's something I'd be interested in, but can't really find out how to go about it.

buck.JPG
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 pm

I just had my brother text me a pic of the speck I did. I was really happy with how this one came out.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 pm

assateague wrote:Tripod, you ever do any dead mounts? I have a buddy that did a couple using Borax, builders foam, and some coat hangers, but he's not "real good" at explaining how to do it. That's something I'd be interested in, but can't really find out how to go about it.

Never done one yet, but I want to. The method is the same as any other style, but most guys say getting them to look "naturally dead" is harder than a standard pose. The biggest thing to mounting a bird is fleshing off all the fat/flesh from the skin and washing it. Wash it like you've got OCD. The materials in a duck mount are relatively cheap, you're paying for the taxi's ability, and its usually not enough.

I'll throw this out there right now for anyone wanting to try it on their own -- get a video and watch it until you have it memorized, then watch it again. After that its all gonna come down to practice. Don't throw your first mount away so you have comparison to look back on.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby JGUN » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 am

I have to take some more pics when I get a chance. Here is a woodduck I mounted for a friend a few years ago. He had never shot a woodduck before and this bird was sitting on our pond so I let him borrow my shotgun.
uploadfromtaptalk1361278170357.jpg
JGUN

Postby flight control » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:51 am

Nice work 3legs. I had a real nice hoodie last season that I wanted to try, but I ended up plucking it. I watched a video on youtube of a guy doing it the old school way and I'm sure I could do it, just didn't know how long the mount would last. I might try with the next nice bird I get.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Weston81 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 am

Two my Dad got mounted from last year. I have a mallard at the taxi right now, thinking about going with the banking mount like the pintail.
Weston81

Postby Weston81 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:14 am

3legged_lab wrote:I just had my brother text me a pic of the speck I did. I was really happy with how this one came out.

That's a sweet mount, good work!!
Weston81

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am

Ha I like the snow shoulder for out in the shop. Might have to look into it
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 am

Flightstopper wrote:Ha I like the snow shoulder for out in the shop. Might have to look into it

I was trying to figure out how to do a butt-half mount of a duck as a joke for a buddy.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby duxrus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 pm

JR , Glad you didn't post a pic of my "smiling" spoonie I did for dentist ...thanks for the invite to this site. I needed another forum to join ... Haha When I get time I will post pic of some recent stuff.
duxrus

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:54 pm

duxrus wrote:JR , Glad you didn't post a pic of my "smiling" spoonie I did for dentist ...thanks for the invite to this site. I needed another forum to join ... Haha When I get time I will post pic of some recent stuff.

Glad you found us Brian! And I think I did post it somewhere on here for everyone to see your handy work.
I look forward to seeing your new work when you have time.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Juice Box » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:52 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389808350.435894.jpg
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Return to Taxidermy Forum