Steel ammo availability

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Steel ammo availability

Postby Anotherone » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:36 am

What’s everyone seeing in their area? I’ve seen a random selection of duck ammo at Academy but nothing at local Walmart.
Anotherone

Re: Steel ammo availability

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:19 am

many of the usual online retailers have "some", not what they used to in the past, but lot more than last year.
Darren

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:25 am

I was that guy in a weird costume and shades shopping at Farm and Fleet, Rural King, Dicks, and that's it.
If I saw it I bought it until I had about 5-10 years worth on my floor.
:duck:
:popcorn:
:beer:
Man I love the emojis here.

Oh ...I bought a case from academy..that hevi-shit.
Cut one open and it's crap.
I've got...
Remington
Winchester
Hevi-shit
Field and Stream
Browning
3 inch #2 steel all day baby
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:32 am

OOF.
Abandon City?
Hehe.
https://youtu.be/eG4nEfbHM_I
Everybody over the side. :welcome:
Ricky Spanish

Postby Deltaman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:10 am

Darren mentioned that Rogers has some steel in stock now. I haven't see hardly any steel shot on the shelves @ my local Academy or Wal-Mart, but have bought a dozen boxes over several visits, of AA #8 lead Dove Loads. Figured if I'm gonna get gouged, I might as well get the best! I bought 3" steel shot sporadically last year, as I found it. Bought a case of Kent Fasteel #2, found a few boxes of Blindside (crap)BB & #3, a few boxes of Winchester Expert #4, and still have 12-14 boxes of Remington Sportsman BB & #4, and a few odds and ends, 3 1/2 BB, and a assortment of 2 3/4" #1 and #2. Also still have several boxes of Remington Express 2 3/4" lead #7 1/2,# 6, and #4. A hunting buddy of mine looked at my stash last year, laughed, and said............"you've got more shells than you will ever shoot hunting here in your lifetime".........and the sad thing, he is right! Unless I take a few trips to S. LA or N.MS, my shell bank will stay stocked. I have been buying bullets for my pistols when I see them on the local store shelves as well, in .40, .38, .357 and the occasional .22 hollow points, ratshot, and some sub-sonics.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby 5 stand » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:25 am

iMarkup_20220608_174349.jpg
Last night I saw the first four pack of federals at Walmart this year... No price was posted so I asked and he looked it up and said $63.00... that's 15.75 a box give or take, he didn't mention change on the 63 but there could have been... I think we'll have a better assortment this year than last... They also had some expert for 14 and some change...
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
5 stand

Postby plainsman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:54 pm

I haven't seen a shortage anywhere around here...plenty of stock and variety
plainsman

Postby Anotherone » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:59 am

Found this shit at the local Walmart last night at $14.98 per box. Grabbed two just to keep up my surplus. I’ll have to shoot some through a few chokes to see what the gun likes. Over-priced ammo is here to stay.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Anotherone

Postby PorkChop » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:36 pm

Scheels has been well stocked. Prices of course have gone up a bit.
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:37 am

If you get desperate DNW in Jonesboro is always stocked.
Go and see their prices and you'll see why.
It's gunna sting.
Last season I watched club owner buy $4000 worth of steel. He bitched about the sales tax especially loud.
Ricky Spanish

Postby 5 stand » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 am

I know this has nothing to do with steel ammo availability, but I hope it's a hint of what's to come in the future...
Primers for loading shotgun shells have been hard to find for the last year...
A little over a month ago ballistic products had cheddite primers for $309.00/ 5000. Which seemed okay compared to Winchester 209 for $500.00/5000. But still high compared to what they were 3 years ago... Thought about buying some at 309.00 but past... Two weeks later they were out of stock, and questioned my decision... Fast forward to today and they are now back in stock at 289.00..
One month ago you were limited to 1 case, now the limit is 4 cases...
It's a seller's market right now but I hope the tide is changing and we continue to see quantities increase and the price decrease...
5 stand

Return to The Shotgun Forum