Whats your "go to" load?

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Whats your

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:16 pm

jehler wrote:
MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
jehler wrote:
Mic wrote:Could never settle on a single "go to" load. Too many variables. Do prefer bigger shot that sails through 'em rather than windin' up between teeth. Shoot everything from 4s to BBs, depending on situation. Feet down in the dekes is fun, but I'm gonna kill birds on those super windy days in the rice when they refuse, too. Have no allegiance to brand, but also avoid Kent's because they hate the water more than most.

they are fairly easy to water proof of ya have a little patience. One of the best shooting shells on the market except for the lack of waterproofing

Sasquatch hunting expert

What do you use to waterproof shells jehler, Fingernail polish, wax, midget semen?

personally I keep my shells in ziplock bags and don't have any problems keeping them dry. A little prevention goes a long way. I know, I know, that is what she said!

who are you?

What do you mean? I read the 250 thread, you have a thing for midgets. Don't know why or the details but I'm sure you have your secrets. So how do you waterproof your shells?
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Re: Whats your "go to" load?

Postby Redbeard » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Midgets and reloading are stupid
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Redbeard wrote:Midgets and reloading are stupid

noshit huh, little bastards cant even reach the bench
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 am

Woa woa woa. Kent's have no waterproofing? As in what you buy off the shelf, you better not keep in your pockets while you are wading out to your spot or put them in your kayak since your padles get water everywhere?

If that's the case, I'm glad I saw that as I was going to order 2 cases today of the stuff.

Obviously, no shell is going to be wonderful getting dunked a bunch of times, but what is decent then to use? Or do I just go melt some wax and dip the ends (of every single shell) in it?
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am

Xperts.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:20 pm

assateague wrote:Xperts.

Pretty sure Jehler disagrees with those shells whole heartedly
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Goldfish wrote:

I dunno, he told me they were the best load for the money.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

I dunno, he told me they were the best load for the money.

I did?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Experts pattern in a donut shape when you shoot at pintails
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes they do.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 pm

I haven't had issues with my Kent's and water. I go to no extremes to protect them either. Just toss the box in the blind bag and then load my shell holder
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mic » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Seems everything I own stays wet the duration o' duck season, but others obviously fare better. Was a run for several years when I was younger and hunted the woods almost exclusively, that the only shells I shot were Dryloks because they always fired. Shot Kents in the fields for awhile, but the occasional dud coupled with the split hulls turned me off. Doubt the hulls were an issue, just made me nervous. Kents do pattern great.
Mic

Postby Gr8white » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Black cloud #4's for ducks. BB for geese
Gr8white

Postby hunter1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I usually hunt with the HeviMetal loads in #2 for geese and ducks. I have patterned it at short and long distances along with Federal and Hypersonics. The Hevi Metal patterns best and the Hevishot in the load carries more energy at longer distances.
hunter1

Postby birdman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:09 am

That's a good question. My go-to-load is Hevi-Metal #2. I sometimes use HeviShot but because of the expense, I usually shoot Hevi-Metal. It kills the birds and I don't get very many cripples with it. It's been a good load.
birdman

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am

Kent tungsten matrix or Fiocchi for regular steel and lead.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 am

My favorite load is Hevi-Metal #2s but they are expensive. So I usually shoot Federal Blue Box #3s.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby BrewGUN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 am

I shoot whatever Jehler throws at me, or whatever I find on the barge floor scrambling to reload. That being said I also shoot a mossy 935, so the overboard bbl patterns just about everything pretty well. I used to shootb a lot of fasteel, they worked pretty well for me. For geese I always liked the Remington nitro 3.5" BB loads at 1400fps.
BrewGUN

Postby Lostknife » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm

TSS #7,8 or 9, whatever I have in my ammo box, for everything. 12 and 28 all 2-3/4" @ 1350. KPY will prove it has the best ballistics of any shot there is on the market.
Lost
Lostknife

Postby Lostknife » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm

TSS #7,8 or 9, whatever I have in my ammo box, for everything. 12 and 28 all 2-3/4" @ 1350. KPY will prove it has the best ballistics of any shot there is on the market.
Lost
Lostknife

Postby TxFowler » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Black Cloud High Velocity # 2's with a Kicks Vortex MOD a very lethal combo!!!
TxFowler
WFF Partner

Postby johnnyD81 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am

I shoot my fathers 1974 Remington 870. Its a wonderful ol gun that still looks like new. But it was made in the time before steel was required. So it only shoots 2 3/4 in shells. After a lot of time trying a lot of loads I have found Kent Fast Steel # 3s to be the best all around ducks and geese for me. The real trick is pulling them in close and taking good shots with the intent on killing that one bird first. I don't want to sound like some expert shot here cause thats not it at all. But I can honestly say that I have never shot at a bird and not killed it. And that includes big geese. I have had to shoot twice to make the kill a few times. But if the bird isn't close enough I just don't shoot. And I kill a lot of birds.
johnnyD81

Postby triplecurl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:01 am

You should post an introduction in the new members thread. :welcome: to WFF and pm Olly or another mod for Dirty Ducks access. There's some good stuff in there. Check out a post by Rebel. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
triplecurl

Previous

Return to The Shotgun Forum