Whats your "go to" load?

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Whats your "go to" load?

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm

When you have a fully functioning brain, it is not that hard.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:41 pm

quit using fps as an excuse for poor shooting

40 yards is 120 feet

It will take 1/10 of a second for first of the shot string to get there shooting 1200fps @ 40 yards.

a duck flying at 40mph is ~60fps

take your 60fps duck divide by your 0.1 delivery time of shot string = 0.0016 of a foot is how much the duck has moved since you pulled the trigger.

The duck has only moved 0.025' twenty-five thousands of a foot.

Your tolerances will decrease as the duck slows down and gets closer.

learn to shoot. don't blame speed.
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm

jarbo03 wrote:When you have a fully functioning brain, it is not that hard.

You're related to NedS
duckkillerclyde

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:19 pm

i always shoot the heavier/slow loads
Bufflehead

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:When you have a fully functioning brain, it is not that hard.

You're related to NedS

No, not related to NedS, who is 83 and will be using 7/8Oz #4 at 2300 fps to shoot tundra swans :evil:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby assateague » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 am

When you guys pattern experts your being lied too. Cut A few open and dump the shot, you'll see that it's a lot of different sized pellets, not round and some not even solid, think welding slag. Te shot is measured by weight, so the undersized pellets are going o pad the pellet count. Both the small pellets and the shitty less dense pellets are going to make a hole in paper and look wonderful but they will not perform how they should on a duck. will they kill ducks yes. Are you going to hit birds tht should have dies with a good load but fly off because of the experts crappy components....yes
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Re: Whats your

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

jehler wrote:When you guys pattern experts your being lied too. Cut A few open and dump the shot, you'll see that it's a lot of different sized pellets, not round and some not even solid, think welding slag. Te shot is measured by weight, so the undersized pellets are going o pad the pellet count. Both the small pellets and the shitty less dense pellets are going to make a hole in paper and look wonderful but they will not perform how they should on a duck. will they kill ducks yes. Are you going to hit birds tht should have dies with a good load but fly off because of the experts crappy components....yes
the blue box federal use to be the same way, as well as the cheap remington loads
Bufflehead

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:26 pm

I can count on zero fingers the amount of ducks I've lost over the last 10 years. Granted, I don't live in a place to put up huge numbers, but the ones I do get, I don't lose. And they work on geese and brant, as well. I hear what you're saying, but I've got no complaints.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:48 am

assateague wrote:I can count on zero fingers the amount of ducks I've lost over the last 10 years. Granted, I don't live in a place to put up huge numbers, but the ones I do get, I don't lose. And they work on geese and brant, as well. I hear what you're saying, but I've got no complaints.

The pintails just have thicker skin apparently?

I'm a cheap shot shooter as well. Xperts and the remington sportmax(?) loads were what was cheap. I'm not going to dump $2 a shell shooting blindside or black cloud. I miss too much for that. BUT, I don't doubt you one bit that the pellets would look like crap, so what is the next cheapest load that doesn't look like garbage? If it's just a couple bucks, well, I suppose that's worth it. If it's $10, I'll just work on getting the birds closer. Or swimming, then I can just water swat them :twisted:
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:53 am

Goldfish wrote:
assateague wrote:I can count on zero fingers the amount of ducks I've lost over the last 10 years. Granted, I don't live in a place to put up huge numbers, but the ones I do get, I don't lose. And they work on geese and brant, as well. I hear what you're saying, but I've got no complaints.

The pintails just have thicker skin apparently?

I'm a cheap shot shooter as well. Xperts and the remington sportmax(?) loads were what was cheap. I'm not going to dump $2 a shell shooting blindside or black cloud. I miss too much for that. BUT, I don't doubt you one bit that the pellets would look like crap, so what is the next cheapest load that doesn't look like garbage? If it's just a couple bucks, well, I suppose that's worth it. If it's $10, I'll just work on getting the birds closer. Or swimming, then I can just water swat them :twisted:

Kent's all the way. $13 a box
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Kent's all the way. $13 a box
x2
Bufflehead

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Marshmutt wrote:Depends on what I'm hunting. I use a Patternmaster choke tube in my gun. So prefer black cloud ammo. But honestly it depends on the hunt

http://www.marshmutt.com
Keeping The Steel Flying and Dogs Retrieving

I thought you couldn't shoot the self stopping wads like black cloud and blind side though a patternmaster (or a ported choke in general)? Something about the wads getting stuck in the barrel and blowing out barrels.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Kent #1 for $10.99 a box you can't go wrong, works good for me on ducks and the occasional goose.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:57 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:quit using fps as an excuse for poor shooting

40 yards is 120 feet

It will take 1/10 of a second for first of the shot string to get there shooting 1200fps @ 40 yards.

take your 60fps duck divide by your 0.1 delivery time of shot string = 0.0016 of a foot is how much the duck has moved since you pulled the trigger.

Interesting argument, but the speed of the duck isn't the reason for fast shells. Steel is the reason for fast shells. The faster shells just make your shot travel faster and hit harder than slow speed shells. Is it needed, who knows. It all depends on where and how you hunt I guess. I would rather have the advantage of a faster shell than a slower one. If you shoot all your ducks at 20 yards or less than either one would probably work great, but for farther shots I would rather have a harder hitting shell. I don't believe that I can shoot farther with faster shells, but they should hit harder at a distance. Just my two cents. Not trying to start an argument.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Tiler_J wrote:Kent #1 for $10.99 a box you can't go wrong, works good for me on ducks and the occasional goose.

Smart man
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Tiler_J wrote:

40 yards is 120 feet

Interesting argument, but the speed of the duck isn't the reason for fast shells. Steel is the reason for fast shells. The faster shells just make your shot travel faster and hit harder than slow speed shells. Is it needed, who knows. It all depends on where and how you hunt I guess. I would rather have the advantage of a faster shell than a slower one. If you shoot all your ducks at 20 yards or less than either one would probably work great, but for farther shots I would rather have a harder hitting shell. I don't believe that I can shoot farther with faster shells, but they should hit harder at a distance. Just my two cents. Not trying to start an argument.

Oh, but you have.ImageImage
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tiler_J » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:31 pm

capt1972 wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:

40 yards is 120 feet

Oh, but you have.ImageImage

I know I probably have, but oh well. It's just the internet. Giving him something else to think about also, not trying to be an azz.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Tiler_J wrote: Not trying to start an argument.

instigator
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:14 am

Redbeard wrote:
Tiler_J wrote: Not trying to start an argument.

instigator

On the other sit I almost never post up a comment, I mainly lurk and laugh at what is going on. I have decided that here I can start over and be an "Internet Tough Guy".

Or maybe not, I will probably go back to lurking here soon. :mrgreen:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 am

I vote for Internet tough guy
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:50 am

Who asked you anyway??!!
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:52 am

How did I do? LOL
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 am

Not bad, McFly.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:23 am

The year before last I shot the hypersonics and loved them. Once I figured out the shorter lead or none at all they did great. Definetly had less follow up shots. Last year I got a 10ga and started hand loading shells with my nieghbor. We loaded tungsten that we got on sale. That stuff is nasty on birds.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 am

Baysider wrote:The year before last I shot the hypersonics and loved them. Once I figured out the shorter lead or none at all they did great. Definetly had less follow up shots. Last year I got a 10ga and started hand loading shells with my nieghbor. We loaded tungsten that we got on sale. That stuff is nasty on birds.

Shooting 3.5in shells beats up my shoulder enough. I don't get how you guys take shooting a 10ga.

(you also probably weigh more than 135# though)

I'll have to try some Kent this year. I think they go for around $15 a box here normally.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Baysider » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 am

Im 225 lbs and 6'4" so the kick isnt bad to me. My slug gun, 30-06 or BP kicks much worse than my 10ga. The gun has a 30 inch barrel and is pretty heavey so the kick isnt much more if any than a 12. I'd assume a 12 with a 3.5" would kick harder. The shells are only 1350 fps but they are pushing 1.5 oz of shot.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 pm

10 gauge shoots at a lower pressure than a 12 so from my understanding, the recoil is comparable. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Tiler_J wrote:How did I do? LOL

weak
Redbeard

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Huh. Just figured the bigger size would have more powder/load so more kick.

I shoot my dad's 30-06 for deer, and in the moment, you don't feel a thing. I have a feeling that I wouldn't feel a 50 cal when you are jacked on adrenaline. At the shooting range I'm sure you would though.
Goldfish

PreviousNext

Return to The Shotgun Forum