Whats your "go to" load?

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Whats your "go to" load?

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Goldfish wrote:Huh. Just figured the bigger size would have more powder/load so more kick.

I shoot my dad's 30-06 for deer, and in the moment, you don't feel a thing. I have a feeling that I wouldn't feel a 50 cal when you are jacked on adrenaline. At the shooting range I'm sure you would though.

A rifle or shotgun isn't very loud when you have a deer or duck at the business end, either. But if you're just shooting, it's another story entirely. I've always wondered about that. (yes, I know it's just as loud, but the perceived volume is 100 times less)
assateague

Re: Whats your

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:How did I do? LOL

weak

I guess I will just go back to lurking then.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

weak

Listen here Mr. 8 Posts. You step up your game this instant. If you need some inspiration, dive into the Dirty Ducks forum. Wait... that might inspire you some quiet alone time...

Get into a debate with Clyde. That oughta be good for at least 30 posts.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:30 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

weak

Listen here Mr. 8 Posts. You step up your game this instant. If you need some inspiration, dive into the Dirty Ducks forum. Wait... that might inspire you some quiet alone time...

:lol:

Sent from Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

weak

Sent from Tapatalk

I tried earlier in this forum to point out how his thinking might be wrong about fast shells but no reply. Not what I was expecting. I will try harder!

I already checked out the Dirty Duck forum, it might inspire some alone time, if I ever get any.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Goldfish wrote:Huh. Just figured the bigger size would have more powder/load so more kick.

I shoot my dad's 30-06 for deer, and in the moment, you don't feel a thing. I have a feeling that I wouldn't feel a 50 cal when you are jacked on adrenaline. At the shooting range I'm sure you would though.

The weight of the projectile or shot, the velocity, and the weight of the gun are the only thing that matters when it comes to recoil. Does not matter what gun they are in. There is a formula to figure it out, I don't feel like looking for it though. Have never understood why people start small kids with a 20 ga. single shot, they kick way harder than most 12 autos.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Goldfish wrote:Get into a debate with Clyde. That oughta be good for at least 30 posts.
:lol: :lol:
Bufflehead

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:18 am

I use whatever's on sale.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:45 am

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

weak

Sent from Tapatalk

Tiler_J wrote:I tried earlier in this forum to point out how his thinking might be wrong about fast shells but no reply. Not what I was expecting. I will try harder!

I already checked out the Dirty Duck forum, it might inspire some alone time, if I ever get any.

Yes, try much harder. I'm gonna try to help you out here, ok? You just write in the stearnest words you can muster "Get the F@*#$% of my lawn, right now Red!". Don't worry about hurtin' Red's feelings, he's got a wife and a gangload of kids. There ain't nothin' you're gonna say to him that will hurt his feelings compared to when momma puts him in his place wth diaper duty. :lol:
Don't worry that you're not really a tough guy either. Heck, half the guys on DHC don't even duck hunt probably. If you handed them a shotgun, you'd have to unload it first, so they didn't shoot themselves in the face with it.
QH's Paw

Postby Tiler_J » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks for the pep talk QH. I don't want to piss off Red though, I need him to fix my speeding tickets. :lol:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:45 am

QH's Paw wrote: Heck, half the guys on DHC don't even duck hunt probably. If you handed them a shotgun, you'd have to unload it first, so they didn't shoot themselves in the face with it.

No sh!t, huh
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Whats your "go to" load?

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

QH's Paw wrote:Don't worry that you're not really a tough guy either. Heck, half the guys on DHC don't even duck hunt probably. If you handed them a shotgun, you'd have to unload it first, so they didn't shoot themselves in the face with it.

So that means that only 3 people here wouldn't shoot themselves in the face? Lol
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Goldfish wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:Don't worry that you're not really a tough guy either. Heck, half the guys on DHC don't even duck hunt probably. If you handed them a shotgun, you'd have to unload it first, so they didn't shoot themselves in the face with it.

So that means that only 3 people here wouldn't shoot themselves in the face? Lol

Are you saying just me and 2 others actually hunt? :lol:
I hunted 42 days of the 107 day Pacific Flyway season, while working full time. How about you Goldie, are you one of the 3? :lol:
QH's Paw

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 pm

I got out prob averaging every other weekend. I'm working 2 jobs, a 9-5 mon-fri and a Sunday 3-11:30pm job. Outside of that, I have to keep the lady happy, AND fit in hunting.

I think I can count the number of birds I bagged on both my hands. Thankfully I didn't blow them off holding the gun backwards ;)
Goldfish

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Goldfish wrote:I got out prob averaging every other weekend. I'm working 2 jobs, a 9-5 mon-fri and a Sunday 3-11:30pm job. Outside of that, I have to keep the lady happy, AND fit in hunting.

I think I can count the number of birds I bagged on both my hands. Thankfully I didn't blow them off holding the gun backwards ;)

So then what you're saying is, if you take out the professionals like Rick Hall, Byers and take out Inda's and Possum, then you are one of the high numbers guys over there. :lol:
QH's Paw

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Lol. If that's the case, we are in a sad sad world
Goldfish

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:02 am

duckkillerclyde wrote:quit using fps as an excuse for poor shooting

40 yards is 120 feet

It will take 1/10 of a second for first of the shot string to get there shooting 1200fps @ 40 yards.

a duck flying at 40mph is ~60fps

take your 60fps duck divide by your 0.1 delivery time of shot string = 0.0016 of a foot is how much the duck has moved since you pulled the trigger.

The duck has only moved 0.025' twenty-five thousands of a foot.

Your tolerances will decrease as the duck slows down and gets closer.

learn to shoot. don't blame speed.

this is false information.
First let's assume we are talking #2 shot at 1200 fps @3' from the muzzle. That puts the shot velocity at 640+/- at 40 yards with a time of .143 seconds from barrel to target, closer to 1/8 a second to 1/10th. Actual lead on that duck would be 8.5 feet at a 40 mph perpendicular crossing shot not .0016'.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Same load at 1550 fps is a 7.2' lead all other factors the same. Speed definitely makes a difference in more things then just killing power
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby i shoot spoonies » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:08 pm

walmart... had winchester 3in 2's/3's for like 9.98 a box... if youre patient and getting ducks within an effective range... it dont matter what you use... but ill have to say the blindside and blackclouds work wonders when carpet bombing sky rats
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:Hahaha! Weiner snob.

Damn right! Only the best wieners go in my mouth!
i shoot spoonies

Postby Lostknife » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:16 am

jehler wrote:Same load at 1550 fps is a 7.2' lead all other factors the same. Speed definitely makes a difference in more things then just killing power

I find it easier to use "duck lengths" when leading the shot, "feet" is harder to apply at range.
Lostknife

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 am

Lostknife wrote:
jehler wrote:Same load at 1550 fps is a 7.2' lead all other factors the same. Speed definitely makes a difference in more things then just killing power

I find it easier to use "duck lengths" when leading the shot, "feet" is harder to apply at range.

true. It is an eye opener either way. A lot of guys don't realize how far behind they are when missing birds or clays for that matter

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:40 am

Poor math examples can really screw a guy up

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:40 am

When does your season ramp up lost?

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby duck jerky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:48 pm

win x 3 in 3#
duck jerky

Postby doublenasty » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Black cloud 3" 3 shot blindside 3" 3 shot hevi metal 3.5"/3" 1 shot for geese
"IF IT FLIES IT DIES, IF IT SITS IT DIES TOO!!!!"
doublenasty

Postby dog walker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 am

I haven't decided on my "go to" load as of yet. This year I loaded up several recipes for trial runs.

I have several boxes loaded up with one Jehlers recipes in B,1,2 and 3. Looks very good on paper with velocities and payloads where I want them.
dog walker

Postby Mic » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:34 am

Could never settle on a single "go to" load. Too many variables. Do prefer bigger shot that sails through 'em rather than windin' up between teeth. Shoot everything from 4s to BBs, depending on situation. Feet down in the dekes is fun, but I'm gonna kill birds on those super windy days in the rice when they refuse, too. Have no allegiance to brand, but also avoid Kent's because they hate the water more than most.
Mic

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 am

Mic wrote:Could never settle on a single "go to" load. Too many variables. Do prefer bigger shot that sails through 'em rather than windin' up between teeth. Shoot everything from 4s to BBs, depending on situation. Feet down in the dekes is fun, but I'm gonna kill birds on those super windy days in the rice when they refuse, too. Have no allegiance to brand, but also avoid Kent's because they hate the water more than most.

they are fairly easy to water proof of ya have a little patience. One of the best shooting shells on the market except for the lack of waterproofing

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 am

jehler wrote:
Mic wrote:Could never settle on a single "go to" load. Too many variables. Do prefer bigger shot that sails through 'em rather than windin' up between teeth. Shoot everything from 4s to BBs, depending on situation. Feet down in the dekes is fun, but I'm gonna kill birds on those super windy days in the rice when they refuse, too. Have no allegiance to brand, but also avoid Kent's because they hate the water more than most.

they are fairly easy to water proof of ya have a little patience. One of the best shooting shells on the market except for the lack of waterproofing

Sasquatch hunting expert

What do you use to waterproof shells jehler, Fingernail polish, wax, midget semen?

personally I keep my shells in ziplock bags and don't have any problems keeping them dry. A little prevention goes a long way. I know, I know, that is what she said!
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:07 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
jehler wrote:

Sasquatch hunting expert

What do you use to waterproof shells jehler, Fingernail polish, wax, midget semen?

personally I keep my shells in ziplock bags and don't have any problems keeping them dry. A little prevention goes a long way. I know, I know, that is what she said!

who are you?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

PreviousNext

Return to The Shotgun Forum