Remington 887 Nitro Mag

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Remington 887 Nitro Mag

Postby Laguna Madre » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm seriously considering buying the Nitro Mag because I hunt almost exclusively in Saltwater. Anybody have good or bad opinions of this shotgun?

I borrowed one from a friend for last weekends hunt and it shot fine but with all the ridges and bumps on it I noticed it was kind of time consuming to clean it. Plus the bolt was a little wobbly when I took the barrel off and it (the bolt) became unaligned pretty easily. I like the rust protection and for less the $500.00 it seems like a good deal even with those minor issues.
Laguna Madre

Re: Remington 887 Nitro Mag

Postby Olly » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Don't do it! I have one and it was a huge mistake. Get yourself a Benelli Nova or Super Nova or even a regular 870. If you're really worried about rust just clean it after your hunt.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Olly wrote:Don't do it! I have one and it was a huge mistake. Get yourself a Benelli Nova or Super Nova or even a regular 870. If you're really worried about rust just clean it after your hunt.

Sent using Tapatalk

My SBEll has been in saltwater a lot and I just clean it when it gets wet. Haven't had any problems with it.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Get a nova. Have one and love it. Although I love my xtremaII more :biggrin: it won't rust either
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Laguna Madre » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 pm

My wife doesn't understand why I "need" another shotgun. I have a Winchester 1300 and a Remington 870 but my go to Winchester is 22 years old and its time to retire him. This last weekend I got a round stuck in the barrel and I can't detach it from the bolt. The gunsmith is busy and can't get to it so I went to my backup 870.

And I religiously clean my guns after each use but a couple of weeks ago I got distracted with cleaning ducks and stowing my gear that I left it uncleaned in my garage. I woke up the next morning and my barrell was covered in rust. It was the first rust spot it ever had and I was surprised on how much and how quickly it rusted. Thought the Nitro mag would be a good option but if the gun sucks I won't buy it.

What kind of problems were you having with it? I'm a Remington armorer so I'm fairly proficient but I did notice removing the bolt, cleaning the inner workings, then reassembling it was not as easy as with the regular 870.

I'm going to buy another shotgun but I'm not going to spend over $500.00. Just not sure what just yet. Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by Laguna Madre on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laguna Madre

Postby Olly » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:50 pm

I bought my used Nova for less than $200 privately and I've seen them for less than $300 used at gu, shops. New Super Novas are just above $500 and the Nova if you can find them new because I think they stopped making them were less than your budget price.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby rickman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:12 am

I looked at an 887 with an idea to use it in poor conditions from the boat, it looked a tough shotgun and sensible price. Then i saw it had normal barrel like the 870 so had no real advantage over the well established 870, the super mag express 870 is a little cheaper as i remember and if i were buying a Remington pump action it would be the express super mag and just keep spraying it in matt black paint to stop t rusting. Ricky.
rickman

Return to The Shotgun Forum