Looking for a new semi-auto, suggestions?

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Looking for a new semi-auto, suggestions?

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:35 pm

3legged_lab wrote:500~750 rounds per year make it nice.

total or for just waterfowl?

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

For waterfowl. Doesnt everybody get that much shooting in?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I shoot around 500 a year on waterfowl.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:55 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I think I was at about 350 or so this season.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:56 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

This year it'll be a case higher than normal though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I was right around 300 for this year but if I added in all the rounds that goes through that shotgun in a year it would be well over 1000.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby JGUN » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:01 pm

broccoli wrote:I wouldn't take anything for my M2 and my brother has an xtrema2 and my only complaint with the xtrema is where the safety is but both are really nice

Where is the safety located?
JGUN

Postby JGUN » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Bufflehead wrote:i have always shot pump guns but i'm planning on buying a beretta a400extreme or a maxus before next season. i don't know if i'll use it much but i want to have a semi-auto

I guarantee your pump will sit in the safe. I'll probably just leave my pump setup for turkey and the auto would be for everything else.
JGUN

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm

JGUN wrote:
Bufflehead wrote:i have always shot pump guns but i'm planning on buying a beretta a400extreme or a maxus before next season. i don't know if i'll use it much but i want to have a semi-auto

I guarantee your pump will sit in the safe. I'll probably just leave my pump setup for turkey and the auto would be for everything else.

My auto sits in the cabinet. Autos can't take my abuse.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby JGUN » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:

11-87????
JGUN

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:

Get an inertia driven, they can take it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:

Get an inertia driven, they can take it.

X2. Inertia guns are much better
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Never having had one, I don't know much about them. Which ones are more prone to not cycle right when shooting a light dove load or something like that, inertia or gas?
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 pm

assateague wrote:Never having had one, I don't know much about them. Which ones are more prone to not cycle right when shooting a light dove load or something like that, inertia or gas?

Gas, but that's only those older models.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:24 pm

So basically either will cycle just about any load?
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 pm

For the most part. It has something to do with a certain part of the gun, can't for the life of me think of the name of it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Inertias can have problems at first (from what I understand) until the spring gets broken in. But if you upgrade to a stiffer wolf spring, you may run into problems with the super light loads. Again, this is just what I've heard. I'm a gas man myself and my beretta eats any shell you put into it. Haven't had one single problem with mine at all.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:Inertias can have problems at first (from what I understand) until the spring gets broken in. But if you upgrade to a stiffer wolf spring, you may run into problems with the super light loads. Again, this is just what I've heard. I'm a gas man myself and my beretta eats any shell you put into it. Haven't had one single problem with mine at all.

Same here. My beretta a400 is the best auto I've ever touched.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:31 pm

I've got the cheap Beretta (3901) and I love it. I'd say I put 2 cases of shells through it (target and hunting loads) with just the occasional wipe down on the exterior and have had zero problems.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:32 pm

assateague wrote:So basically either will cycle just about any load?

Yes the main difference is that an inertia gun is cleaner and doesnt have to be cleaned as often. Some people say that inertias have more recoil but IDK on that. Only gas gun I have is a Mag 10.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 pm

I got mine before the season started. So I can't speak on durability yet but everything so far has been flawless. It's got close 2k rounds through it and has been great. I clean my guns religously though.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby broccoli » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:16 pm

JGUN wrote:
broccoli wrote:I wouldn't take anything for my M2 and my brother has an xtrema2 and my only complaint with the xtrema is where the safety is but both are really nice

Where is the safety located?

I'm my M2 the safety is behind the trigger just like my old 1187 but on the xtrema2 the safety is in front of the trigger. One morning he let me shoot it on a group that came in and I did everything trying to find the safety to shoot
broccoli

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:22 pm

JGUN wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:

11-87????

Besides the A5, all I have left for an auto is my Baikal. It doesn't matter if it's inertia or gas, they can't take me using them throughout the duck season. I'm lazy and getting fatter by the day(at least at heart) and the last thing I was to do after hunting is clean my gun. I've had my Nova for 4 years now and it has never been taken apart. Barrel hasn't even been off it yet. Hasn't not went boom, except for once, and that was my fault. In the heat of the moment, so to speak, I put a spent shell into the tube and it got stuck. The guy in the blind next to me was picking up shells when I was grabbing geese, and was throwing all the empties into my blind :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:54 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:

11-87????

Besides the A5, all I have left for an auto is my Baikal. It doesn't matter if it's inertia or gas, they can't take me using them throughout the duck season. I'm lazy and getting fatter by the day(at least at heart) and the last thing I was to do after hunting is clean my gun. I've had my Nova for 4 years now and it has never been taken apart. Barrel hasn't even been off it yet. Hasn't not went boom, except for once, and that was my fault. In the heat of the moment, so to speak, I put a spent shell into the tube and it got stuck. The guy in the blind next to me was picking up shells when I was grabbing geese, and was throwing all the empties into my blind :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Get a bennelli or berretta, trust me, you can't be any harder than jr, jgun and I. Belly crawling on geese, hunting sand beach, te berretta needs cleaning once a season maybe twice. The bennelli every other season
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 am

jehler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
JGUN wrote:[quote="Bufflehead"]i have always shot pump guns but i'm planning on buying a beretta a400extreme or a maxus before next season. i don't know if i'll use it much but i want to have a semi-auto

11-87????

Get a bennelli or berretta, trust me, you can't be any harder than jr, jgun and I. Belly crawling on geese, hunting sand beach, te berretta needs cleaning once a season maybe twice. The bennelli every other season[/quote]

I hear you. I love my Nova, and I've always wanted a Benelli auto, but I'm just responsible enough at this point to have a $1500 gun. Buddy has an Xtrema 2 thats a pretty looking gun,but Id feel bad not cleaning something that nice.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 am

I was doing a belly crawl through heavy snow Sat with my M2. It has plenty of snow on the action, etc.

When I jumped up it fed flawlessly. I love my M2
Tomkat

Postby Fowlplay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:34 am

Used browning gold :thumbsup:
Fowlplay

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 am

Nobody has suggested a Beretta AL390.
Have shot all the "B" guns pretty much and I really like the 390. I like how it kind of has a humped back like a Browning A5 a little.
Pick up a used one for a whole lot less and end up with a better shotgun maybe.
I run 2+ cases/year of steel 3" #2 or BB through mine in all kinds of weather.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Bulldog0156 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

aunt betty wrote:Nobody has suggested a Beretta AL390.
Have shot all the "B" guns pretty much and I really like the 390. I like how it kind of has a humped back like a Browning A5 a little.

I think they're tough to find. MT isn't exactly the shotgun capitol of the US, but the used berettas and benellis don't stay on the shelf long.
Bulldog0156

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:52 am

aunt betty wrote:Nobody has suggested a Beretta AL390.

The best auto loader made, after the A5 of course.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

PreviousNext

Return to The Shotgun Forum