Oil

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Oil

Postby aunt betty » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:18 pm

I've used the different commercial shotgun oils because I thought I had to use Beretta oil on a Beretta and Rem-oil on my Remingtons. I was naive.

After going through learning on my own how my shotguns work and talking with other waterfowlers about what they do to keep their pieces shooting I decided that fancy oils that cost a ton of cash are BS.

I use tranny fluid, sewing machine oil, or power steering fluid on my guns. I put a tablespoon of the oil of choice onto a micro-fiber rag and twist it to get the oil soaked in well. Store it in a jelly jar and keep that with your gun-cleaning kit.
Use that rag to wipe down your shotgun. Should last you a season before it starts stinkin'.

I hunt every day sometimes and keep a couple jars with oily rags stashed. One in my boat and another in the truck door panel. That way I don't have to store my shotgun all wet. Keeps my gun case nice, clean, and dry.

I use Hoppes #9 for cleaning inside the barrel.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Oil

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:57 pm

aunt betty wrote:I've used the different commercial shotgun oils because I thought I had to use Beretta oil on a Beretta and Rem-oil on my Remingtons. I was naive.

After going through learning on my own how my shotguns work and talking with other waterfowlers about what they do to keep their pieces shooting I decided that fancy oils that cost a ton of cash are BS.

I use tranny fluid, sewing machine oil, or power steering fluid on my guns. I put a tablespoon of the oil of choice onto a micro-fiber rag and twist it to get the oil soaked in well. Store it in a jelly jar and keep that with your gun-cleaning kit.
Use that rag to wipe down your shotgun. Should last you a season before it starts stinkin'.

I hunt every day sometimes and keep a couple jars with oily rags stashed. One in my boat and another in the truck door panel. That way I don't have to store my shotgun all wet. Keeps my gun case nice, clean, and dry.

I use Hoppes #9 for cleaning inside the barrel.

Now when you say tranny fluid....

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This place never misses anything

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Doesn't tranny fluid sound like liquid AIDS or chlamydia though?

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:Doesn't tranny fluid sound like liquid AIDS or chlamydia though?

See my older post on the origins of gatorade
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 am

The ocean and seaduck guys are going to have different opinions. Should have said that in my op. Have never had to deal with salt. That changes the whole game. Someone from the coast take over now.
1363265312821.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by aunt betty on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
aunt betty

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:47 am

I use 3-in-1 oil for everything. Works just the same, and costs about 1/5 what the Hoppes or other "gun specific" oils cost.,
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 am

I use G-96 synthetic oil....but very little of it. When I started using CLP Breakfree I pretty much didn't need oil anymore. Thats when all of my cold weather malfunctions went away, too.

CLP Breakfree- C = Cleans L= Lubricates P= Protects.

No need for tranny fluid, gay juice, Go-Go juice, or Kentucky Deluxe.

CLP Breakfree, one product does it all. Sold anywere finer sporting goods are sold.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 am

I suspect CLP and 3-in-1 oil are the same. We always had CLP in the Army, and after spending I don't know how many hours cleaning weapons with it, you get the smell in your head. 3-in-1 oil smells exactly the same.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 am

assateague wrote:I suspect CLP and 3-in-1 oil are the same. We always had CLP in the Army, and after spending I don't know how many hours cleaning weapons with it, you get the smell in your head. 3-in-1 oil smells exactly the same.

AT, I clean an AR once a year, so I know exactly what you are talking about :lol::lol::lol:

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:42 am

I clean my shotgun once before season starts and then once afterwards. You OCD guys would hate how I treat my shotguns.
goodkarmarising

Postby Tomkat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:50 pm

assateague wrote:I suspect CLP and 3-in-1 oil are the same. We always had CLP in the Army, and after spending I don't know how many hours cleaning weapons with it, you get the smell in your head. 3-in-1 oil smells exactly the same.

It probably is. I am a believer in CLP.
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:I clean my shotgun once before season starts and then once afterwards. You OCD guys would hate how I treat my shotguns.

I do about the same with the exception of I run a bore snake thru it at the end if the day and I'll clean the actin if it's being sticky.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:04 pm

I clean the action way more than the barrel. Don't see much use in cleaning the barrel all that much.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 pm

3 in 1 oil here.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby assateague » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm

Flightstopper wrote:I clean the action way more than the barrel. Don't see much use in cleaning the barrel all that much.

Exactly. I can't remember the last time I cleaned the barrel of one of my shotguns.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:25 pm

I clean mine at the end of every season in April. Then just keep it oiled oiled through hunting season. The clean it again the next April.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Flightstopper wrote:I clean the action way more than the barrel. Don't see much use in cleaning the barrel all that much.

You ever look down the barrel after a shell burner day? All sorts of burnt powder everywhere. Funny enough, trap shells leave almost none.
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Goldfish wrote:

You ever look down the barrel after a shell burner day? All sorts of burnt powder everywhere. Funny enough, trap shells leave almost none.

Hmmmm. The guy I got my Beretta never cleaned it...it got filthy real quick when I started shooting it. I guess the powder in high speed steel is different than in double-A trap loads. Winchester Xpert is what I shoot and I assume it's on the dirty end of the shell spectrum. It's el cheepo and ya get what ya pay for. I clean my shotgun every day during hunting season. Break it all the way down. Like this.
smilin' mallard 002.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 pm

I am with goldie here. It don't hurt to keep em clean.
Tomkat

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Tomkat wrote:I am with goldie here. It don't hurt to keep em clean.

sure don't, but I'm lazy. If I ever got a high end shotgun I would take a lot better care of it like I do my rifles.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:04 pm

i clean mine if i hunt in the rain or every couple of days. it is constantly wet from salt water. i use to use rusty duck cleaner and oil but haven't been able to find it so i started using gun scrubber and break free clp
Bufflehead

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 am

goodkarmarising wrote:I clean my shotgun once before season starts and then once afterwards. You OCD guys would hate how I treat my shotguns.

Same way I treat mine, except I just don't clean it. Its well seasoned at this point.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 am

I do this, but will clean it if I hunt in the rain. Other than that it just gets hit with Remoil.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:57 am

I clean mine often, grab a beer and rip the gun apart, I enjoy it. My barrel quit being dirty once I started reloading ny steel shot. I see way more gun problems pheasant hunting out west than any other hunting, sone days you'll have to clean your gun without firing a shot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:06 am

Goldfish wrote:

Steel shot powder is very dirty because its a flake powder. Trap shells can vary big time on powders. It boils down to the burn rate of that powder and if it gets a complete burn in the length of your barrel. I'm with Jarbo, since I started loading my guns stay a lot cleaner. I break down the action pretty regularly. I figure the next wad down the tube will push out the extra powder from the last, and so on
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

Steel shot powder is very dirty because its a flake powder. Trap shells can vary big time on powders. It boils down to the burn rate of that powder and if it gets a complete burn in the length of your barrel. I'm with Jarbo, since I started loading my guns stay a lot cleaner. I break down the action pretty regularly. I figure the next wad down the tube will push out the extra powder from the last, and so on

Eh, I've got a bore snake, so I use it. If I notice shells getting sticky or if one jams, I clean the action. Then at the end of the season I break it all the way down and get all that sand/reeds/mud out of the nooks and crannies.
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 pm

My trick:

I try to keep my gun in a case until I am ready to use it. My case has a should strap, so when I am carrying dekes, etc it is not exposed.

This helps avoid a lot of the dirt in the first place....
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I do one better. I have a floating gun case so that if/when I end up tipping the kayak, it won't be at the bottom of bottomless muck.
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Tomkat wrote:My trick:

I try to keep my gun in a case until I am ready to use it. My case has a should strap, so when I am carrying dekes, etc it is not exposed.

This helps avoid a lot of the dirt in the first place....

I leave my case in the Jeep. Because you never know when a target of opportunity will present itself.
assateague

Next

Return to The Shotgun Forum