Fiber Optic Sights

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Fiber Optic Sights

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jehler wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:Try squaws crossing the layout at 15 yards with your bead, lemme know how it goes...try the same with the high house @ station 8.

You know damn well that skeet can't be compared to decoying puddle ducks. Especially when using a Skeet choke vs. a full choke.

I've never hunted divers so you win on that one...
you shouldn't be looking at your bead on any target that isn't sitting still, hi viz sights are a hinderance plane and simple

I'm not syaing that you should be staring at the bead through the shot, but I use it to get lined up while aquiring the target. The hi-viz helps to find the line faster, allowing you to focus on the target sooner to make a good shot. I'm not a fan of just pointing th barrel, and shooting. That's how I shoot over targets.
do you have a hi viz on your dong to nail the Cheerios in the shitter?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

assateague wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I agree with you, but I'm not saying that you should put the bead on the target. I use it to aquire the target before deciding on my line.

If I just pull up to shoot by covering the target with my barrel, I find that the barrel covers the target too soon 9/10 times, leaving me with a high shot. There is a lot more barrel, than bead, giving me a huge variation in shot lines. The bead helps me to narrow that line.

You probably wear about a 7 1/4 hat, right?

Can't wait to hear this one...

Sometimes 7 1/4, but normally 7 3/8.

Dare I ask why?
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
jehler wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:Try squaws crossing the layout at 15 yards with your bead, lemme know how it goes...try the same with the high house @ station 8.

You know damn well that skeet can't be compared to decoying puddle ducks. Especially when using a Skeet choke vs. a full choke.

I've never hunted divers so you win on that one...
you shouldn't be looking at your bead on any target that isn't sitting still, hi viz sights are a hinderance plane and simple

I'm not syaing that you should be staring at the bead through the shot, but I use it to get lined up while aquiring the target. The hi-viz helps to find the line faster, allowing you to focus on the target sooner to make a good shot. I'm not a fan of just pointing th barrel, and shooting. That's how I shoot over targets.
do you have a hi viz on your dong to nail the Cheerios in the shitter?

Maybe. How bored are you? Interested in a pic to help pass the time???

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Damn it Dan! I said to each, their own!

I understand what you are saying, and agree that it works for a lot of people, but to say that the bead shouldn't be used as a blanket statement is wrong. Maybe it shouldn't be used by you (I wouldn't change my ways if I were you), but there a lot of people that kill birds by using one.

I know for a fact that if I don't use it, I will shoot high on a bird/clay.

Wait...I'm sorry for all of this. I figured out what my problem is...

I hunt ducks with a Pre-Robertson Mossberg.
those ain't Dan's ducks. Not a diver in the bunch

Look again Red!

We hunt farm ducks during the mid week when it's too far to drive etc. and also when it's blowing too hard to layout hunt.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:55 pm

No homo but a dong with a fiber optic sight on it would get a lot of laughs in the funny picture thread
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Redbeard wrote:No homo but a dong with a fiber optic sight on it would get a lot of laughs in the funny picture thread

Agreed.
1, 2, 3, Not it.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
IndianaMallard64 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:You should head over to Cabelas in Hammond, and check them out. I have the Hi-Viz brand...

I'm in hammond right now in my night summer class at purdue Calumet haha, I could probably jog there

I haven't been to that one, but have heard that it's a lot better than the one on my side of the state line...

Yes it's very very good! If ur taking the drive out here u should for sure take the extra 10 minutes and drive to Blythes in Griffith, best gun shop u might ever go to!
IndianaMallard64

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:Damn it Dan! I said to each, their own!

I understand what you are saying, and agree that it works for a lot of people, but to say that the bead shouldn't be used as a blanket statement is wrong. Maybe it shouldn't be used by you (I wouldn't change my ways if I were you), but there a lot of people that kill birds by using one.

I know for a fact that if I don't use it, I will shoot high on a bird/clay.

Wait...I'm sorry for all of this. I figured out what my problem is...

I hunt ducks with a Pre-Robertson Mossberg.
those ain't Dan's ducks. Not a diver in the bunch

Look again Red!

We hunt farm ducks during the mid week when it's too far to drive etc. and also when it's blowing too hard to layout hunt.
let me ask Sailor Jerry. Yea he said don't bother and to take Sir Dan's word for it
Redbeard

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:04 pm

IndianaMallard64 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
IndianaMallard64 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:You should head over to Cabelas in Hammond, and check them out. I have the Hi-Viz brand...

I'm in hammond right now in my night summer class at purdue Calumet haha, I could probably jog there

I haven't been to that one, but have heard that it's a lot better than the one on my side of the state line...

Yes it's very very good! If ur taking the drive out here u should for sure take the extra 10 minutes and drive to Blythes in Griffith, best gun shop u might ever go to!

I have actually heard of Blythes. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
assateague wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I agree with you, but I'm not saying that you should put the bead on the target. I use it to aquire the target before deciding on my line.

If I just pull up to shoot by covering the target with my barrel, I find that the barrel covers the target too soon 9/10 times, leaving me with a high shot. There is a lot more barrel, than bead, giving me a huge variation in shot lines. The bead helps me to narrow that line.

Dare I ask why?

The roundness/circumference of your head is what partially dictates the cheek weld. There are other factors, but the biggest one is the size of the head. By the way you described what happened when you tried to cover the bird with the barrel, it made me think that your head was definitely smaller than 7 1/2, probably by quite a bit judging by how drastic you said the difference was. But since I've never heard of anybody with a size 7 dome, I decided to split the difference. If you padded out the stock about 3/8 of an inch where your cheek rests, you would get the proper sight picture, and be able to center the shot cup on the barrel when the target is blotted out. Not saying you need to do this, just making a comment.

Negrodamus knows.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:07 pm

assateague wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
assateague wrote:

Dare I ask why?

The roundness/circumference of your head is what partially dictates the cheek weld. There are other factors, but the biggest one is the size of the head. By the way you described what happened when you tried to cover the bird with the barrel, it made me think that your head was definitely smaller than 7 1/2, probably by quite a bit judging by how drastic you said the difference was. But since I've never heard of anybody with a size 7 dome, I decided to split the difference. If you padded out the stock about 3/8 of an inch where your cheek rests, you would get the proper sight picture, and be able to center the shot cup on the barrel when the target is blotted out. Not saying you need to do this, just making a comment.

Negrodamus knows.
shit Jim I had too much to drink to even read thr second line if thes post
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:09 pm

That's probably for the best.

IndianaMallard, two things:

1) I've been known to make stuff up on a fairly regular basis, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
2) Go into user control panel and turn your word filter off if you haven't already. Then you can have adult conversations, without seeing a bunch of *****, *********, and ****.
assateague

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:09 pm

assateague wrote:The roundness/circumference of your head is what partially dictates the cheek weld. There are other factors, but the biggest one is the size of the head. By the way you described what happened when you tried to cover the bird with the barrel, it made me think that your head was definitely smaller than 7 1/2, probably by quite a bit judging by how drastic you said the difference was. But since I've never heard of anybody with a size 7 dome, I decided to split the difference. If you padded out the stock about 3/8 of an inch where your cheek rests, you would get the proper sight picture, and be able to center the shot cup on the barrel when the target is blotted out. Not saying you need to do this, just making a comment.

Negrodamus knows.

How exact does that 3/8'' pad need to be? I want to do this shit right!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Specifically, "user control panel", "board preferences", "edit display options", "enable word censoring- NO"
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
assateague wrote:The roundness/circumference of your head is what partially dictates the cheek weld. There are other factors, but the biggest one is the size of the head. By the way you described what happened when you tried to cover the bird with the barrel, it made me think that your head was definitely smaller than 7 1/2, probably by quite a bit judging by how drastic you said the difference was. But since I've never heard of anybody with a size 7 dome, I decided to split the difference. If you padded out the stock about 3/8 of an inch where your cheek rests, you would get the proper sight picture, and be able to center the shot cup on the barrel when the target is blotted out. Not saying you need to do this, just making a comment.

Negrodamus knows.

what the hell happen to us. Our dads and grAnddaddys used to pick up any ole scattergun and make due. Now we have to shim or sticks and deflate our giant heads to fit our guns
Redbeard

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:17 pm

assateague wrote:Specifically, "user control panel", "board preferences", "edit display options", "enable word censoring- NO"

Thank you so much, that shit was annoying me haha
IndianaMallard64

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Negrodamus knows.

what the hell happen to us. Our dads and grAnddaddys used to pick up any ole scattergun and make due. Now we have to shim or sticks and deflate our giant heads to fit our guns

Red, I was making that shit up.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Negrodamus knows.

Red, I was making that shit up.
see what I mean. After two much rim I can't comprehend a post longer hsn two lines
Redbeard

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Negrodamus knows.

They shot lead. You cannot overstate what an advantage that is.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 pm

IndianaMallard64 wrote:
assateague wrote:Specifically, "user control panel", "board preferences", "edit display options", "enable word censoring- NO"

Thank you so much, that shit was annoying me haha

And PM Olly for dirty ducks access. That's where the good stuff is...

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:28 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:

Negrodamus knows.

They shot lead. You cannot overstate what an advantage that is.
ok I'll give ya that. But I still pick up a gun and just shoot it
Redbeard

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 pm

Looking for a bead with a 2.5 mm post on it.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 pm

assateague wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:So none of you fuckers aim? No wonder y'all suck @ shooting.

You don't aim a shotgun, you point it.

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:So none of you fuckers aim? No wonder y'all suck @ shooting.

I use the sight, I just don't know that a fiber optic sight would be worth paying to have installed vs. leaving the white/silver bead in place.

I still think it should be tested for "fit" worth a cheap one.

I even put it in there. Strait Meat Honker
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Goldfish » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:21 am

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
(if it's glowing, you should be blowing)

sent from a phancy fone

So uhhhh is that a rule you follow often?.....

Sent from my phone.

Wanted to see who would come up with what for it

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby aunt betty » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Sights on a shotgun...
If you smear the guts from a lightning bug on the fingernail of your index finger, do you think it makes you point better at night?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:30 pm

aunt betty wrote:Sights on a shotgun...
If you smear the guts from a lightning bug on the fingernail of your index finger, do you think it makes you point better at night?

It might make it easier to see, and it probably works better than smearing dog shit on your finger.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Tiler_J » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Tiler_J wrote:

It might make it easier to see, and it probably works better than smearing dog shit on your finger.

Of course with the dog shit idea, people could probably smell which direction you are pointing.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:29 pm

That's actually a very astute analogy. You been doing microdot?
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Rick wrote:

That's actually a very astute analogy. You been doing microdot?

I actually laughed out load!!!! The wife gave me a funny look.
DComeaux

Postby jehler » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Microdot, so dated Rick
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

PreviousNext

Return to The Shotgun Forum