versa max choke tubes

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

versa max choke tubes

Postby mudhen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Who has a versa max or info about the performance choke tubes for them. Cabela's nor many other places seem to handle aftermarket tubes for them. Is this a sign telling me I should have bought a different 3-1/2 inch? Has anyone tried the patternmaster or kicks and if so what was the results?
mudhen

Re: versa max choke tubes

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:06 pm

I take it you can't find a shell you like through the factory tubes?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Mud hen are you form cali?
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby mudhen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:04 am

From Rushlake Wisconsin. And no I haven't found a factory choke tube I like. I have tried a few different Carlson tubes. Not much luck there either. Been getting kinda upset with the holes in my pattern. Used many different brands of shells patterning them on cardboard. And finding a turkey tube has been another adventure. I like the way it points and out to 30 yards seems to pattern well. After that its a real game of luck. Never had problems like this with my Beretta. Problay should have bought a 3-1/2 in a Beretta.....Not looking good.
mudhen

Postby Iloveducks » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:43 am

MudHen, I have a Versamax and use Carlson's waterfowl chokes in it and they pattern great. The chokes that Remington send with the VM have alot to be desired. I shoot Rem 1 1/8 - 2 Sportsman HV steel and 1 1/8 -BB through the long range tube and get really good patterns with the 2's and get 100 percent patterns with the BB's, all at 40yds. For turkeys - I use a Carlson's .665 choke and get good results with either Fed HWT 7 or Win 3 1/2" Xtended 6. The gun is great. Never a problem. I have over 2000 rounds through mine and never an issue. Good luck with your gun. John
Iloveducks

Postby mudhen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 am

John,
Thank you very much for the info. Its hard to find info on the versa max. You don't seem to see many around my neck of the woods. Mostly Browning, Benelli and Beretta up here. Again I thank you very much. Going to order some tomorrow.
Thanks- Dave
mudhen

Postby Gunny2121 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Im running a versa max with a wad wizard surpreme with kent or hevi metal 2s. Both patterned 85 to 90 percent at point of impact.
Gunny2121

Postby RonE » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Look up Wilson Precision Chokes. Reasonable prices and I am very happy with mine.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:26 pm

If you willing to spend $40-$50 for an assembly line aftermarket choke tube, spend $5 more and have Stu Wright out of Illinois to make you a custom choke made specifically for your barrel. All you have to do is have a gun smith measure the inside diameter of the bore. You then give the measurements to Stu, and tell him what shot and lead or steel you'll mainly be shooting and the range your shooting at 90% of the time in the field. He'll make you a choke with the perfect constriction. Another plus is when you thread it in, it stays where's its at at a fingers snug. $55 is all it costs to have a super super choke that will throw the most uniform pattern you have ever seen in your life.

http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com/turkey.htm
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby sws002 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:50 pm

R. Chapman wrote:If you willing to spend $40-$50 for an assembly line aftermarket choke tube, spend $5 more and have Stu Wright out of Illinois to make you a custom choke made specifically for your barrel. All you have to do is have a gun smith measure the inside diameter of the bore. You then give the measurements to Stu, and tell him what shot and lead or steel you'll mainly be shooting and the range your shooting at 90% of the time in the field. He'll make you a choke with the perfect constriction. Another plus is when you thread it in, it stays where's its at at a fingers snug. $55 is all it costs to have a super super choke that will throw the most uniform pattern you have ever seen in your life.

Do I have to shoot 7.5s?

I've heard similar reviews of Drake Killer chokes, same concept, custom made for your barrel.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:14 pm

RonE wrote:Look up Wilson Precision Chokes. Reasonable prices and I am very happy with mine.

X2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby R. Chapman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:52 pm

sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:If you willing to spend $40-$50 for an assembly line aftermarket choke tube, spend $5 more and have Stu Wright out of Illinois to make you a custom choke made specifically for your barrel. All you have to do is have a gun smith measure the inside diameter of the bore. You then give the measurements to Stu, and tell him what shot and lead or steel you'll mainly be shooting and the range your shooting at 90% of the time in the field. He'll make you a choke with the perfect constriction. Another plus is when you thread it in, it stays where's its at at a fingers snug. $55 is all it costs to have a super super choke that will throw the most uniform pattern you have ever seen in your life.

Do I have to shoot 7.5s?

I've heard similar reviews of Drake Killer chokes, same concept, custom made for your barrel.

But how much will he charge you?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby sws002 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:21 am

R. Chapman wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Do I have to shoot 7.5s?

$70 if my memory serves me right.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby jehler » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:30 am

Have you tried changing loads?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:50 am

sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Do I have to shoot 7.5s?

And how long does it take for them to get your choke to you? Stu will have it to you in 2 weeks. Plus if that choke wasn't made correctly, he will make you another on at no cost. He's not one of those guys thats says I'll see what I can do, he says, yeah we can do that.
R. Chapman

Postby sws002 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:27 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
sws002 wrote:

Do I have to shoot 7.5s?

And how long does it take for them to get your choke to you? Stu will have it to you in 2 weeks. Plus if that choke wasn't made correctly, he will make you another on at no cost. He's not one of those guys thats says I'll see what I can do, he says, yeah we can do that.

Jesus, slow your fucking roll, Rex. Is Stu your lover or something? I seem to have offended you in some way.

Read again what I said, that I've "heard" reviews of Drake Killer, which means I don't even use them, just know people that have. Either way, I think it's safe to assume at this point that Drake Killer is far superior to this Stu clown, he sounds like a real asshat.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:44 pm

:lol:
assateague

Postby numinous » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:47 pm

:popcorn:
numinous

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Do I have to shoot 7.5s?

I've heard similar reviews of Drake Killer chokes, same concept, custom made for your barrel.[/quote]

But how much will he charge you?[/quote]

$70 if my memory serves me right.[/quote]

And how long does it take for them to get your choke to you? Stu will have it to you in 2 weeks. Plus if that choke wasn't made correctly, he will make you another on at no cost. He's not one of those guys thats says I'll see what I can do, he says, yeah we can do that.[/quote]

Jesus, slow your fucking roll, Rex. Is Stu your lover or something? I seem to have offended you in some way.

Read again what I said, that I've "heard" reviews of Drake Killer, which means I don't even use them, just know people that have. Either way, I think it's safe to assume at this point that Drake Killer is far superior to this Stu clown, he sounds like a real asshat.[/quote]

An asshat that gets his chokes to you yesterday! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby sws002 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:29 pm

jarbo03 wrote:An asshat that gets his chokes to you yesterday! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fuck that voodoo! I'll wait and get mine from somebody reputable, not some snake-oil salesman named Stu!
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:30 pm

sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:An asshat that gets his chokes to you yesterday! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fuck that voodoo! I'll wait and get mine from somebody reputable, not some snake-oil salesman named Stu!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:32 am

You can say whatever you want about Stu, but he's the only smith I'll pay $850 to back bore, bore spread, angle port, and eliminate the forcing cone on my Perazzi TMS Barrel, plus make a choke tube for that barrel. He's been doing that shit for 40+ years. If you want a uniform pattern over a hot core pattern, I would go with Wright's. If I was after a hot core, I would probably have Briley make me a choke tube. But I prefer uniformity. That's why I go with Stu, and he gets what you need done in a timely manner. 6-8 weeks max for barrel jobs.
R. Chapman

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:42 am

Why not just buy a good gun to begin with. Seems a bit extreme.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:46 am

rebelp74 wrote:Why not just buy a good gun to begin with. Seems a bit extreme.

There's always room to improve. It's nice to have a light kicking shotgun when your shooting a Caps Marathon, than a shotgun that makes your *shoulder sore after the first 200 targets.

*wrong word originally
Last edited by R. Chapman on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
R. Chapman

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 am

This ain't duck calls, it ain't that crucial
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 am

rebelp74 wrote:This ain't duck calls, it ain't that crucial

:lol: :lol: :lol:
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:50 am

rebelp74 wrote:This ain't duck calls, it ain't that crucial

:lol: :lol:
R. Chapman

Postby numinous » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Need... more... popcorn... :popcorn:
numinous

Postby sws002 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:01 pm

R. Chapman wrote:You can say whatever you want about Stu, but he's the only smith I'll pay $850 to back bore, bore spread, angle port, and eliminate the forcing cone on my Perazzi TMS Barrel, plus make a choke tube for that barrel. He's been doing that shit for 40+ years. If you want a uniform pattern over a hot core pattern, I would go with Wright's. If I was after a hot core, I would probably have Briley make me a choke tube. But I prefer uniformity. That's why I go with Stu, and he gets what you need done in a timely manner. 6-8 weeks max for barrel jobs.

I don't have $850 between the two shotguns I own and I seem to do just fine. What the hell is a hot core and why are you trying to get me to buy one? Is it like a ZJ? This Stu seems like a real scum bag, peddling back door ZJs to unsuspecting hunters.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:21 pm

BEEF!!!
assateague

Next

Return to The Shotgun Forum