Re: Browning A5 question.

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:03 pm

The sky is blue.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:I just wanted to see if you'd post the montefeltro picture again.

Sure:

But if you really want to see dependable look next to it:
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Rick wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Frim what i've seen in the field and the blind, the A5 would do just fine

Perhaps if pitted against a modern Browning or Remington...

You sumbitch!!!

Aw hell now Rick has both my guns shamed.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:18 pm

rebelp74 wrote:The sky is blue.

Lord, you are high.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Aw hell now Rick has both my guns shamed.

If they work for you, they work for you. If not, blame the rodeo queen.
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Rick wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Aw hell now Rick has both my guns shamed.

If they work for you, they work for you. If not, blame the rodeo queen.

Always a solid out. Once the voodoo is cast I can play that card forever.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I have heard some silvers can be finicky if dirty or not oiled. Mine worked up until the rodeo so far.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:10 pm

I don't know pecans about the Silvers, but the 3 1/2" Gold has been the devil in my blind. (As has the 3 1/2" BPS.)
Rick

Postby jehler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 pm

sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:This is like talking to a kindergartener about why McDonald's sucks. Thet just don't get it. I'm now gonna go talk to a liberal about politics

McDonald's doesn't suck, you suck! :lol: :lol:

I don't think they are bad guns, I just think they are over-glorified. And I'm curious what Rick has against modern Brownings, I know my Silver and SX2 have been borrowed several times this season because a certain other B gun isn't a fan of the cold...
must have used rem oil
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 am

jarbo03 wrote:This is like talking to a kindergartener about why McDonald's sucks. They just don't get it. I'm now gonna go talk to a liberal about politics

That's gooood. Did you make it up yourself?
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm

jarbo03 wrote:This is like talking to a kindergartener about why McDonald's sucks.

I could knock back 20 Mcnuggets right now.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Rick wrote:I've gotten to watch a lot of guns work, or not, over the past 29 seasons (Holy crap!) of carrying folks afield daily, and can't help but have my prejudices. Among them Brownings (and their Winchester clones?) and Remingtons have seemed the most mechanically problematic by enough margin I'd not again consider owning either. Doesn't mean anyone's particular Browning (Winchester) or Remington won't work flawlessly, just that my experience leads me to believe there are safer bets. Namely, the Berettas and Benellis, both of which have their share of bobbles, too, just not as many in my experience. Shoot, I saw a husband and wife's Extremas both break on the same hunt! But I'd still choose one over a Gold, SX or Remington semi-auto.

And Duck Hammer will be pleased to know my Benelli 20 started hang-firing this season for some mysterious reason:

More seriously, both my Benellis have seen over 20 seasons of hard use and abuse, and both have their share of new parts to show for it. Things one might not normally think of wearing out, like trigger hinge pins. They're far from indestructible, just gosh awful reliable - given the amount of use and abuse they endure. Will they ever be classics romanticized like the A-5? Probably not, it has a 100 year head start in that department.

My buddies M2 started doing that on a trip a couple years ago. Tore it apart in the hotel room and it ended being a broken firing pin spring. Went to the local hardware store and bought a spring that was close in its approximate dimensions and took it back to the marsh the next day.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:55 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:My buddies M2 started doing that on a trip a couple years ago. Tore it apart in the hotel room and it ended being a broken firing pin spring. Went to the local hardware store and bought a spring that was close in its approximate dimensions and took it back to the marsh the next day.

Guessing you meant the hammer spring. (Haven't looked to see if mine's broken as it's functioned fine since that cleaning. Did shoot it for some time with a broken inertia spring in the bolt without a hick-up, though.)
Rick

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:39 pm

There's 2 springs inside the bolt.

The inertia spring and the one that the firing pin runs inside of that causes the firing pin to rebound. It looks like the spring out of a pen. That one was broken and was causing the pin to hang up
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 am

Mine was "hang firing," ie: the hammer wasn't striking the firing pin as soon as the trigger was pulled, but in its own sweat time. A broken firing pin spring wouldn't delay the timing of the hammer strike and shot, just booger the pin's chances of hitting the primer hard enough to ignite it.

(The firing pin spring is what's become a little cylinder of rusty ice from leaving my wet gun in the bed of the truck in freezing weather.)
Rick

Postby ea oneal » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 pm

not really an a5 it,s mod 11 mfg 1909 and shot for 106 years before one kids dry fired it till it broke a fireing pin 32.99. had the choke done to mod i still use it for dove ducks tree rat,s if the kids can get me to go .kick, well maybe but not so bad . have a pic of my gran dad with geese he shot at 9years old with it. if you cant take the kick of a 12 ga well maybe duck huntin aint fer u :? . did a camo job this season as we were hunting semi layout,s have a number of shot guns and i still use this one most.
012.JPG
001.JPG
001.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
ea oneal

Previous

Return to The Shotgun Forum