7.5s kill shit deader than hammer...

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

7.5s kill shit deader than hammer...

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't understand why people use 5s and 6s on Pheasants and grouse!?!? A handicap trap load of 1 1/8oz of 7.5s going @ 1200-1290 fps kill upland birds fast and have a much better pattern than what 4s, 5s, and 6s will throw. So instead of wasting your money spending $15-$25 for a box, buy some trap loads as try them. Here's a few to consider:

Winchester AA SuperHandicap going @ 1290 FPS
Remington Nitro-27 going @ 1250 FPS
Federal Gold Medal going @ 1230 FPS
Federal Gold Medal Papers going @ 1200 FPS

Most of these you can get for under $9 at your local big store.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Re: 7.5s kill shit deader than hammer...

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Less amount of pellets to bite on
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:55 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Less amount of pellets to bite on

I use BBB. I don't want my pheasants getting away.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

I usually just use OO. Get good clean pass throughs.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby flight control » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:02 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

If you can't take their heads off with slugs, you have no business hunting them. But it is cheaper to just make cut shells with the ones rex metioned.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Juice Box » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:40 pm

flight control wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

If you can't take their heads off with slugs, you have no business hunting them. But it is cheaper to just make cut shells with the ones rex metioned.

I call third ringers
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby RonE » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Rex is right, 7 1/2's are great for pheasant and if you roll your own, there is data out there for 1330 fps for 1 3/8 oz loads that absolutely paralyze ditch chickens.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:30 pm

RonE wrote:Rex is right, 7 1/2's are great for pheasant and if you roll your own, there is data out there for 1330 fps for 1 3/8 oz loads that absolutely paralyze ditch chickens.

And pellet guns can kill a deer...
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:37 pm

1 1/8 oz #5s will kill any pheasant 7 5 will. With less damage to the meat and as said before, no pellets to bite. Then lets talk about the wind, whole nother story. In MT and IA where every pheasant seems to be dumb, any load will kill.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:04 pm

jarbo03 wrote:1 1/8 oz #5s will kill any pheasant 7 5 will. With less damage to the meat and as said before, no pellets to bite. Then lets talk about the wind, whole nother story. In MT and IA where every pheasant seems to be dumb, any load will kill.

Don't even go with that "wind throws the pattern around" horseshit. I've been able to bust 50 straights from the 27 yard-line when the wind was blowing 30 mph. Believe me, I didn't do any compensating bullshit, I shot them just like any other trap target on a perfect day. Another thing is hit a pheasant squarely with 1 3/8oz of 5s then hit one squarely with 1 1/8ox of 7.5s. That pheasant that was hit with the 5s will be torn up like you let your bloodhound eat at it. It'll be a little bit torn up with either load but those 7.5s won't damage the meat as much as as the 5s. I've shot a limited amount of pheasants but I have shot a good handful of grouse. The 7.5s fly clean through them just like 5s would. Another thing is the lesser your shot charge and speed your payload is traveling, the better is will pattern. It's an old, almost unknown fact, but all the big dog trap shooters used to shoot 1oz of 8s because it threw a better pattern from the 27 yard-line than 1 1/8 oz of 7.5s could. But then came along special handicap loads for the back fence. Every one went to those instead of sticking with a better patterning load and a lighter kicking load.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:1 1/8 oz #5s will kill any pheasant 7 5 will. With less damage to the meat and as said before, no pellets to bite. Then lets talk about the wind, whole nother story. In MT and IA where every pheasant seems to be dumb, any load will kill.

Don't even go with that "wind throws the pattern around" horseshit. I've been able to bust 50 straights from the 27 yard-line when the wind was blowing 30 mph. Believe me, I didn't do any compensating bullshit, I shot them just like any other trap target on a perfect day. Another thing is hit a pheasant squarely with 1 3/8oz of 5s then hit one squarely with 1 1/8ox of 7.5s. That pheasant that was hit with the 5s will be torn up like you let your bloodhound eat at it. It'll be a little bit torn up with either load but those 7.5s won't damage the meat as much as as the 5s. I've shot a limited amount of pheasants but I have shot a good handful of grouse. The 7.5s fly clean through them just like 5s would. Another thing is the lesser your shot charge and speed your payload is traveling, the better is will pattern. It's an old, almost unknown fact, but all the big dog trap shooters used to shoot 1oz of 8s because it threw a better pattern from the 27 yard-line than 1 1/8 oz of 7.5s could. But then came along special handicap loads for the back fence. Every one went to those instead of sticking with a better patterning load and a lighter kicking load.

I bet i shoot 30x the upland you do every year.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Wind blows patterns around, fact, unless of course you're
REX FUCKING CHAPMAN!!!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 pm

I'll run ballistics on a few loads tomorrow or Thursday and give you guys some actual data on this shit, but really, wind blows patterns, especially smaller shot
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:17 pm

I've shot a shitload of pheasant and grouse, and chickens. Conparing trap to any kind of bird is nonsense, also worked at a gun club for years. There is no need for 1 3/8oz shot, I shoot 1 1/8oz for pheasant. Slower loads did pattern better in the days of shitty wads and components, my best patterning phez loads runs 1550 fps. Anyone who has patterned knows how far wind can drift your pattern with 7.5s.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:18 pm

I've shot a shitload of pheasant and grouse, and chickens. Conparing trap to any kind of bird is nonsense, also worked at a gun club for years. There is no need for 1 3/8oz shot, I shoot 1 1/8oz for pheasant. Slower loads did pattern better in the days of shitty wads and components, my best patterning phez loads runs 1550 fps. Anyone who has patterned knows how far wind can drift your pattern with 7.5s.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:20 pm

jehler wrote:I'll run ballistics on a few loads tomorrow or Thursday and give you guys some actual data on this shit, but really, wind blows patterns, especially smaller shot

It better be blowing over 100 mph to really notice a huge difference at 50 yards.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

I bet i shoot 30x the upland you do every year.

I bet you do to. I did some hunting over the weekend with some guys. They still can't figure out how I could hit a Hun going perpendicular to me at about 50 yards with handicrap loads.
R. Chapman

Postby jehler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:27 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
jehler wrote:I'll run ballistics on a few loads tomorrow or Thursday and give you guys some actual data on this shit, but really, wind blows patterns, especially smaller shot

It better be blowing over 100 mph to really notice a huge difference at 50 yards.
careful, your ignorance is showing
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby R. Chapman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 pm

jehler wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

careful, your ignorance is showing

Probably is a little bit. What I'm trying to get across is at any shots under normal hunting conditions (50 yards and under with lead), it better be blowing like hell. Personally, I've never compensated for wind shotgunning because its just one of those things that is mostly bullshit and that will screw up your shotgunning. Your mind knows where to put that barrel consciously and your hands will follow. It'll calculate all that in microseconds. It's better to to let your subconscious to do the work instead of consciously telling yourself that the bead needs to be X amount in front of the target but oh wait! I have a 20 mph NW wind so I need to actually have that bead right at his feet because that Hun is going down-hill. I notice a lot of people try to shoot a shotgun like its a damn rifle. Rifle shooting is scientific and mathematics, where shotgunning is an art and
R. Chapman

Postby AKPirate » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 pm

John- This is what you posted when this discussion came up on DHC.

pm a guy on this site with the screen name toasty, he has written and sells a shotshell ballistics software, great source of info. I know that in a 40 knot wind my pattern of 2's with a 3' velocity of 1500 fps was pushed about 18"-2' off of poa
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:27 pm

AKPirate wrote:John- This is what you posted when this discussion came up on DHC.

pm a guy on this site with the screen name toasty, he has written and sells a shotshell ballistics software, great source of info. I know that in a 40 knot wind my pattern of 2's with a 3' velocity of 1500 fps was pushed about 18"-2' off of poa
that's good info right there, but, that's with steel. Lead is denser so it is effected less but the smaller pellets (7.5) would be more affected than larger, can't give you precise data on the lead right now but can get it from software later
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 pm

AKPirate wrote:John- This is what you posted when this discussion came up on DHC.

I noticed the same thing when I was shooting the board in my back yard. Was quite a surprise to me, and explains why I was missing a lot the few days this season with 30-50 MPH winds.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 pm

jehler wrote:

that's good info right there, but, that's with steel. Lead is denser so it is effected less but the smaller pellets (7.5) would be more affected than larger, can't give you precise data on the lead right now but can get it from software later

Where do you get your software from?
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:30 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:

I noticed the same thing when I was shooting the board in my back yard. Was quite a surprise to me, and explains why I was missing a lot the few days this season with 30-50 MPH winds.
nuff, that load I have you with the lbc 43's, we load that in 1's and b's and always have them with us, in a high wind go bigger and choke it up to mod or IM and you'll have better luck
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:30 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
jehler wrote:

Where do you get your software from?
toasty, duh
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Toasty's is kpy shotshell ballistics, think its sold at precision and bpi now. I also have the old lowreys program, that's the one that has windage
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 pm

jehler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

nuff, that load I have you with the lbc 43's, we load that in 1's and b's and always have them with us, in a high wind go bigger and choke it up to mod or IM and you'll have better luck

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Still have a box or 2 of 1s left over from early goose.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:33 pm

jehler wrote:Toasty's is kpy shotshell ballistics, think its sold at precision and bpi now. I also have the old lowreys program, that's the one that has windage

Thanks. :thumbsup:
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:33 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
jehler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Still have a box or 2 of 1s left over from early goose.

I go to 1s for ducks when it gets super windy. Used some #2s with RSI 88 last Sunday with good success in the wind also.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
jehler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

I go to 1s for ducks when it gets super windy. Used some #2s with RSI 88 last Sunday with good success in the wind also.

I've just been shooting 3s all season. I'll give the 1s a shot next time we get some wind.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Shotgun Forum