Need your help inpicking a gun for the wife

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Need your help inpicking a gun for the wife

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:06 pm

It's pretty much 3" #4 or slugs. That's it.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:44 pm

assateague wrote:But you reload. If you don't reload, finding decent 20ga shells is a special kind of hell, at least around here.
theres people who don't load there own?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:45 pm

assateague wrote:It's pretty much 3" #4 or slugs. That's it.
those #4's are deadly
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:56 pm

I found this dealio the other day - some sort of magic box contraption with a little clicker off on one side - anywho, my buddy Al told me that it's somehow connected to a whole bunch of other magic boxes with clickers off on the side through some sort of black sorcery, and you can tell your magic box what your looking for and it will search all over the world until it finds whatever I tell it to search for. Supposedly, I can even buy things and arrange to have them shipped to my door.

Maybe that would work for finding 20 ga shells??? I don't know though, seems complicated.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:14 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I found this dealio the other day - some sort of magic box contraption with a little clicker off on one side - anywho, my buddy Al told me that it's somehow connected to a whole bunch of other magic boxes with clickers off on the side through some sort of black sorcery, and you can tell your magic box what your looking for and it will search all over the world until it finds whatever I tell it to search for. Supposedly, I can even buy things and arrange to have them shipped to my door.

Maybe that would work for finding 20 ga shells??? I don't know though, seems complicated.

Al Gore invented it too.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:16 pm

You know my buddy Al?? No shit. Small world
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby 3geese4me » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:32 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:You know my buddy Al?? No shit. Small world

He's my wife's cousin.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:31 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I found this dealio the other day - some sort of magic box contraption with a little clicker off on one side - anywho, my buddy Al told me that it's somehow connected to a whole bunch of other magic boxes with clickers off on the side through some sort of black sorcery, and you can tell your magic box what your looking for and it will search all over the world until it finds whatever I tell it to search for. Supposedly, I can even buy things and arrange to have them shipped to my door.

That's all well and good, until someone forgets shells until the night before, or they need to borrow a gun that you hadn't planned on hunting. However, I can stop at the gas station and get a box of #1, 2, or 3 12ga.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 pm

jehler wrote:Idk how big your wife is but don't discredit the 20, have her pick them up and swing them, if a 20 feels more comfortable to her buy it, being able to easily and naturally shoulder the gun is more important than the extra 1/4 ounce of shot that you'll have in the 12. A Remington 1100 20 is the softest shooting 20 I have shot, the berretta 391 second in line

To hell with an 11-87

X2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:43 pm

jehler wrote:Idk how big your wife is but don't discredit the 20, have her pick them up and swing them, if a 20 feels more comfortable to her buy it, being able to easily and naturally shoulder the gun is more important than the extra 1/4 ounce of shot that you'll have in the 12. A Remington 1100 20 is the softest shooting 20 I have shot, the berretta 391 second in line

To hell with an 11-87

THIS
Tomkat

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 am

I was hoping that eventually someone would suggest Beretta 390 or 391.
Out of the B guns it is the softest shooting one. Its one of the finest waterfowl shotguns available for a small man or woman. I know several guys who bought them for their wives. Look for a used one, can't buy new.
They range from $450-$800 depending on the model variation. I bought a AL390ST last fall to replace my regular 390 that got stolen...$650.
Its a winner.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby cannon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:58 pm

aunt betty wrote:I was hoping that eventually someone would suggest Beretta 390 or 391.
Out of the B guns it is the softest shooting one. Its one of the finest waterfowl shotguns available for a small man or woman. I know several guys who bought them for their wives. Look for a used one, can't buy new.
They range from $450-$800 depending on the model variation. I bought a AL390ST last fall to replace my regular 390 that got stolen...$650.
Its a winner.

cannon wrote:If I were in the market for a low-recoil 20, I'd definitely look for a beretta 390 or 3901. They're heavy enough to eliminate most of the recoil, and they're handle even 3/4 oz loads effectively. As for a 12, I'd echo that its hard to beat an 1187, but I'd definitely look for 1995 or earlier vintage, though.

I have a Versa Max that my 13 year old daughter has been using. It has a short length of pull and shoots incredibly soft, and I'm 5 cases deep in it without a hiccup, thus far. I'd highly recommend em at this point.

My next puck in a 12 would be a lightly used al390.

Happy hunting.

Might've missed one there, Betty
Nick Roehl wrote:I am used to working hard and was taught to be a man at a young age. I am 33 with a couple college degrees and I take my job as webmaster for Flyway Media seriously.
cannon

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:48 pm

cannon wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I was hoping that eventually someone would suggest Beretta 390 or 391.
Its a winner.

cannon wrote:If I were in the market for a low-recoil 20, I'd definitely look for a beretta 390 or 3901. They're heavy enough to eliminate most of the recoil, and they're handle even 3/4 oz loads effectively. As for a 12, I'd echo that its hard to beat an 1187, but I'd definitely look for 1995 or earlier vintage, though.

I have a Versa Max that my 13 year old daughter has been using. It has a short length of pull and shoots incredibly soft, and I'm 5 cases deep in it without a hiccup, thus far. I'd highly recommend em at this point.

My next puck in a 12 would be a lightly used al390.

Happy hunting.

Might've missed one there, Betty
saw it. Didn't quote it. Oops. Good options.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby sws002 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Don't know if I'm too late to the party on this one, but if you haven't picked up a gun for her, Winchester offers their SX3 in a compact 12 gauge, definitely one I would suggest taking a look at.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby RonE » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:59 pm

One guy was fishing up stream and came across a guy and his wife fishing down stream. The guy fishing upstream asks the guy fishing down stream: "How do you get your wife to come fishing with you?" The guy fishing down stream answers with a question of his own: "How do you get yours to stay home?"

In that light, I would say that if you want a new shotgun, get her a hard kicking 3 1/2" 12 ga. and just wait till she looses interest, on the other hand, get her almost any 20 ga. semi auto.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Previous

Return to The Shotgun Forum