Need your help inpicking a gun for the wife

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Need your help inpicking a gun for the wife

Postby Richard Federation » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:00 am

My wife says she wants to try duck and turkey hunting but has a permanent shoulder injury. What gun has the least amount of kick and will still get the job done? I thought a 20g semi-auto would work best, but I do not own one nor can I buy a bunch a different guns to try out. None of my shooting buddies have a semi-auto in 20g either (not many of my friends shoot shotguns) What size shell and is there a brand or style that will kick less. I know for high powered rifles you can get loads that are softened down for young shooters and woman but I have not heard of these for shotgun shells. I really could use your help. I would love to have my wife join me in the field.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Re: Need your help inpicking a gun for the wife

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:06 am

Disclaimer- this is just my opinion.

I don't believe the "20 kicks less than a 12" business as a rule. It has more to do with weight of the gun and the load. I'd look for a 12, simply because rounds are far, far more available. Pick a heavier gun. Heavy= less kick. And only shoot 2 3/4 shells.

Just my opinion. But a 12 is far more versatile, and will not necessarily kick more. Getting a 20 for that reason (less recoil) would leave you disappointed, I believe.
assateague

Postby Richard Federation » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:23 am

I believe you may be correct. Any suggestions for a heavy 12g? is it true a semi-auto will kick less then a pump? I have a couple 12, pumps for her to try but I do not want that first shot to scare her from trying an other heavier gun.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Postby capt1972 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:28 am

semi's kick less than a pump. Also a gel pad on the but would probably help too. As far as turkey goes, I have never found a load that doesn't kick. Most turkey loads are "heavier" and therefore kick more.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:37 am

Maybe some low brass target loads with the pump to get her confidence up. And definitely an auto for her.

Disclaimer: again, this next part is just my opinion.

I would prefer the first shot with a hunting load to be at a bird, be it turkey, goose, whatever. The recoil ALWAYS feels less, and the gun ALWAYS seems quieter when there's something to shoot. Letting her "practice" with a real turkey load may cause her to flinch when the time comes, and she'll get discouraged. But if she's been shooting target loads, has confidence, and isn't the least bit scared, the "surprise" of a "real" high brass #4 may very well be forgotten in the excitement of shooting a turkey, whereas it wouldn't be forgotten from shooting at a piece of paper in the back yard.
assateague

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:48 am

I bought a CZ 720 youth model for my boys and my 7 year old that weighs 54#s shoots 7/8 0z loads all day long.

Gas operated autos will kick less than Recoil operated autos, and both will have less felt recoil than a pump.

If you reload another option is to use your 12 ga and load some low powered loads. I loaded up some 7/8oz loads at 1150fps and let my wife start with those, those were real easy on the shoulder too.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Richard Federation » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:59 am

Looks like I will be in the market for a gas operated semi-auto 12g shotgun, thick gell pad and talking to a buddy of mine to have him make up some loads with a little less thump.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Postby capt1972 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am

I am highly impressed with this thread!

Advice was asked for, given and taken all while staying on topic. It was even duck related.

THE END IS NEAR
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:29 am

Richard Federation wrote:Looks like I will be in the market for a gas operated semi-auto 12g shotgun, thick gell pad and talking to a buddy of mine to have him make up some loads with a little less thump.

The Limbsaver recoil pads work very well. So do the Pachmeyer decelarator pads.

A Remington 1187 auto is a light kicking and heavy gun.
Tomkat

Postby Richard Federation » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:05 am

A Remington 1187 auto is a light kicking and heavy gun.[/quote]

That is so funny, I looked up Remington shotguns and that is the one I am planning on getting. I am and always have been a huge fan of the 870, it was only natural to to look to Remington for the auto. I did look at other companies guns but the 11-87 was one of the heaviest and reasonably priced. heading over to Bass Pro later today with the little lady to look at the 11-87.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am glad I found this forum.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:34 am

Be careful with a heavy gun as well though. Holding a heavy gun up might be difficult for a woman with a shoulder injury. And as a result she will have a problem with shouldering and swinging the gun properly leading to a lot of missing. A semi auto is the best way to go. 7/8 oz of steel from a 12 gauge will knock birds pretty well and will have very little recoil from a semi auto with a good but pad.
As far as turkeys go, all turkey loads kick pretty good. But as long as you bring them close they can be killed with a light load of 6s.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DC727 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:42 am

If you want to drop cash the Beretta extrema 2 has zero recoil, and isn't heavy. A benelli m2 in 20ga would be a steal also. They're expensive,, but you get what you pay for

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
NuffDaddy wrote:Nigga ran that back like he had my VCR
DC727

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Benelli Montifeltro in 20

Disclaimer haven't read a bit if this has been said.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Benelli Montifeltro in 20

Much as I love mine, a gas operated Beretta 20 would be my choice for the OP's situation.
Rick

Postby RonE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 pm

assateague wrote:Disclaimer- this is just my opinion.

I don't believe the "20 kicks less than a 12" business as a rule. It has more to do with weight of the gun and the load. I'd look for a 12, simply because rounds are far, far more available. Pick a heavier gun. Heavy= less kick. And only shoot 2 3/4 shells.

Just my opinion. But a 12 is far more versatile, and will not necessarily kick more. Getting a 20 for that reason (less recoil) would leave you disappointed, I believe.

This is sound advice, heed it well!

As for the Remington 11-87, I have owned mine since 1987, it is a great gun.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:26 pm

My 1187 was also one of the first made - and was a POS. As have been a number of others through my blinds since. Perhaps they're like the 1100s before them, either came out of the box reliable or crap...
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Rick wrote:
Flightstopper wrote:Benelli Montifeltro in 20

Much as I love mine, a gas operated Beretta 20 would be my choice for the OP's situation.

True, we were close to getting my wife one when we bought for her a few years ago. I like the size of the feltro but we ended up with a youth Franchi and lengthened the stock. So I can't even take my own advise.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Rick wrote:My 1187 was also one of the first made - and was a POS. As have been a number of others through my blinds since. Perhaps they're like the 1100s before them, either came out of the box reliable or crap...

hmm... had mine since 87 also. Only had one problem with it. Last year I shot a 200 bird sporting clays course and had it not cycle a couple times. Hunted with it the next day and it was fine. Decided to clean it and found that the O-ring was GONE. Even with no ring it was still shooting 2 3/4". I must of got a "good" one. By the way, to the OP, check out the versa-max. Very light hitting gun!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Never had the o-ring let go and could even shoot it with a chunk broken off one of the metal rings. But from the day I bought it, it wouldn't feed shells worth pecans unless the chamber was kept squeaky clean and not at all on rainy days, regardless. When water got in the breech and held spent powder, I might as well have thrown sand in there.

Remington's "customer service" sucked, too. Forearm split right off the bat, and their Ilion, NY facility wanted to charge me for its replacement, claiming I must have shot the gun with it loose, which wasn't the case. Spoke directly with the big dog at that facility and got the same story. So I wrote their then CEO with the unlikely name of Wilfred Smoe, and (perhaps because I was writing for a number of national magazines at the time) the Ilion folks soon sent me a forearm. Trouble was, I'd gone to some pains to purchase a gun with nicely figured wood, and they sent me what literally looked like birch. So I called the Ilion shop, spoke to the boss there again and got told I was lucky to get what I got and should count my blessing. I chose, instead, to box the forearm back up and ship it to Wilfred Smoe, who very soon had the Ilion jackass calling me to apologize, ask for a description of my gun's stock and send me an upgraded version of forearm that did, in fact, match it. Wilfred Smoe got things done.

But the gun was still a POS.
Rick

Postby AKPirate » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Rick wrote:Never had the o-ring let go and could even shoot it with a chunk broken off one of the metal rings. But from the day I bought it, it wouldn't feed shells worth pecans unless the chamber was kept squeaky clean and not at all on rainy days, regardless. When water got in the breech and held spent powder, I might as well have thrown sand in there.

Remington's "customer service" sucked, too. Forearm split right off the bat, and their Ilion, NY facility wanted to charge me for its replacement, claiming I must have shot the gun with it loose, which wasn't the case. Spoke directly with the big dog at that facility and got the same story. So I wrote their then CEO with the unlikely name of Wilfred Smoe, and (perhaps because I was writing for a number of national magazines at the time) the Ilion folks soon sent me a forearm. Trouble was, I'd gone to some pains to purchase a gun with nicely figured wood, and they sent me what literally looked like birch. So I called the Ilion shop, spoke to the boss there again and got told I was lucky to get what I got and should count my blessing. I chose, instead, to box the forearm back up and ship it to Wilfred Smoe, who very soon had the Ilion jackass calling me to apologize, ask for a description of my gun's stock and send me an upgraded version of forearm that did, in fact, match it. Wilfred Smoe got things done.

My dad handed down to me his 1100, always worked like a champ but I cleaned it a lot. It didn't bother me to do that though as going from a pump to the automagic was like a dream come true.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:17 pm

My 11-87 did ok. I got tired of carrying it and upgraded to my Benelli M2 and they all lived happily ever after.
Tomkat

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:47 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Rick wrote:Never had the o-ring let go and could even shoot it with a chunk broken off one of the metal rings. But from the day I bought it, it wouldn't feed shells worth pecans unless the chamber was kept squeaky clean and not at all on rainy days, regardless. When water got in the breech and held spent powder, I might as well have thrown sand in there.

My dad handed down to me his 1100, always worked like a champ but I cleaned it a lot. It didn't bother me to do that though as going from a pump to the automagic was like a dream come true.

My dad has a 1100. Been a great gun so far. Shoots smooth and cycles fine. Heavy as hell though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:24 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
AKPirate wrote:

My dad has a 1100. Been a great gun so far. Shoots smooth and cycles fine. Heavy as hell though.

I grew up with a ,20 gauge pump and idolized that 1100 for it autoawesomeness. When I got it from pops, it didn't weigh more than a feather to me. :)
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby cannon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:41 pm

If I were in the market for a low-recoil 20, I'd definitely look for a beretta 390 or 3901. They're heavy enough to eliminate most of the recoil, and they're handle even 3/4 oz loads effectively. As for a 12, I'd echo that its hard to beat an 1187, but I'd definitely look for 1995 or earlier vintage, though.

I have a Versa Max that my 13 year old daughter has been using. It has a short length of pull and shoots incredibly soft, and I'm 5 cases deep in it without a hiccup, thus far. I'd highly recommend em at this point.

My next puck in a 12 would be a lightly used al390.

Happy hunting.
Nick Roehl wrote:I am used to working hard and was taught to be a man at a young age. I am 33 with a couple college degrees and I take my job as webmaster for Flyway Media seriously.
cannon

Postby Richard Federation » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks everybody for all the input. We went to Bass Pro today but they must be having some kind of sale or something, could barely move around the store let alone get any help at the gun desk.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Postby RonE » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:17 pm

I did have one problem with my 11-87 a few years back. Hunting out of a pit blind in the California rice fields, one day my gun would not cock. The hammer would not engage the trigger sear. I took the big end of a nylon comb and punched out the two pins that hold the trigger group in the receiver and found that it was clogged with unburned powder, mud, duck feathers and rice straw. Picked out as much as I could and then swished it around in the check water and replaced it in the receiver. Worked just like new for the rest of the day. At the end of the hunt I sprayed it with WD-40 and that was good until the end of the season. As for the forearm, yes, they are a little thin but mine has a layer of fiberglass and rosin at the receiver end, inside and I haven't experienced any cracking. My trap gun, a Remington 3200 had more than 5 forearms replaced by Remington because they were thin and cracked, however.

I shoot a SBE now but I will not part with my 11-87 which recoils less but isn't as trendy as a Benelli.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Idk how big your wife is but don't discredit the 20, have her pick them up and swing them, if a 20 feels more comfortable to her buy it, being able to easily and naturally shoulder the gun is more important than the extra 1/4 ounce of shot that you'll have in the 12. A Remington 1100 20 is the softest shooting 20 I have shot, the berretta 391 second in line

To hell with an 11-87
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:26 pm

But you reload. If you don't reload, finding decent 20ga shells is a special kind of hell, at least around here.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Wife was shooting 3/4 oz kents yesterday with a mod choke. Folded the Grey just as dead as my 12 loads at 25 yards. As she named it "synchronized dying".
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:17 pm

assateague wrote:If you don't reload, finding decent 20ga shells is a special kind of hell, at least around here.

Must be another of those Maryland things.
Rick

Next

Return to The Shotgun Forum