Benelli?

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Benelli?

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Down here at the local shop they have a Benelli SBE for sale at $650. I owned an M2 a couple years ago and liked it alright, plus hunted half a dozen times with the SBE2. I liked them both, though I thought they were a little light if you were shooting some of the bigger payloads. Anyways, for $650, it is beat up, with quite a bit of blueing loss and a weak spring in the firing pin. Other than that it functions superbly well mechanically. Would it be worth buying?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Re: Benelli?

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Offer $300 and see what happens.

If a camo dip and a new spring would make it like new, then I'd say it would be worth 5-600. But I don't know anything.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:08 pm

If it's an HK import many people would pay more than that. Throw a new spring in it and run the hell out of it.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:38 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Offer $300 and see what happens.

If a camo dip and a new spring would make it like new, then I'd say it would be worth 5-600. But I don't know anything.

Never did like a camo dip, but I'm in the same boat. Don't know a whole lot about the Italian Franchise of shotguns IE Beretta, Benelli, Stoeger etc etc. and I only know so much about Perazzi's; just way too many models and different features in each. Again I have not a clue if its imported from HK.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby RonE » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:31 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Offer $300 and see what happens.

Never did like a camo dip, but I'm in the same boat. Don't know a whole lot about the Italian Franchise of shotguns IE Beretta, Benelli, Stoeger etc etc. and I only know so much about Perazzi's; just way too many models and different features in each. Again I have not a clue if its imported from HK.

Go look at it tomorrow, if it says H & K are the importers it is a desirable gun. The next iteration of the SBE looked pretty much the same and you can tell them generally by the round safety bar. Finally, the latest models of the SBE had a triangular plate on the safety bar. If you can get it for $550 or 600 it is probably a pretty good deal...........supposing it runs OK.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:34 pm

Everything works fine other than a weak firing pin spring. I'll check back in tomorrow and give you the scoop.
R. Chapman

Postby T Man » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:38 am

I have never heard of a firing pin spring failure in a benelli, and I grew up working in a Benelli shop. I would be cautious about that, otherwise pick it up. There are plenty of options to restore the metal on a shotgun other than dipping, and the furniture can be easily replaced. Benelli is Italian for boat paddle.
Eric Haynes wrote:
I just Betty'd the timeframe to make me seem older than 56.
T Man

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:10 am

I've been running a HK imported SBE and/or Montefeltro 20 every open season day since they were new in the '90s and flat worn out some parts in both of them, but that's a new failure on me. But assuming the gun is in generally good shape, you could do worse than that asking price in my area.
Rick

Postby RonE » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:37 am

R. Chapman wrote:Everything works fine other than a weak firing pin spring. I'll check back in tomorrow and give you the scoop.

When is tomorrow going to get here?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:22 am

T Man wrote:I have never heard of a firing pin spring failure in a benelli, and I grew up working in a Benelli shop. I would be cautious about that, otherwise pick it up. There are plenty of options to restore the metal on a shotgun other than dipping, and the furniture can be easily replaced. Benelli is Italian for boat paddle.

There are other options, but none are as good as a dip.
Tomkat

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:48 am

Ron, my bad for not keeping this up to date. Someone bought it.
R. Chapman

Return to The Shotgun Forum