Tip for Trap Shooting...

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Tip for Trap Shooting...

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am

assateague wrote:I have no interest in shooting something I can't eat or sell.

What about make money? Handicap is where the big bucks are at in trap. Every year at the grand, they have a $100k handicap shoot off that invves the top ten shooters of the Grand week shooting off for that great prize that Bill and Lee Ann Martin donate every year.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 am

R. Chapman wrote:

What about make money? Handicap is where the big bucks are at in trap. Every year at the grand, they have a $100k handicap shoot off that invves the top ten shooters of the Grand week shooting off for that great prize that Bill and Lee Ann Martin donate every year.

What about lose money, and spending a lot of money while not improving your hunting skills the way that the other games do?
Last edited by Feelin' Fowl on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 am

What he said.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

What about lose money, and spending a lot of money while not improving your hunting skills the way that the other games do?

Depends on what skill your after to. I do a lot of jump shooting for ducks. Trap also can help for flushing upland birds going away from you. Any good amount of shooting is better than shooting 4 boxes a few months before the season and calling it good.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby sws002 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am

R. Chapman wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

Depends on what skill your after to. I do a lot of jump shooting for ducks. Trap also can help for flushing upland birds going away from you. Any good amount of shooting is better than shooting 4 boxes a few months before the season and calling it good.

That's what dove season is for, if you can shoot those little bastards you're ready for anything come October.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 am

sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

That's what dove season is for, if you can shoot those little bastards you're ready for anything come October.

Championship!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:58 am

sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

Again, not many doves here.
R. Chapman

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 am

How much do you spend a year on trap loads, memberships, and entries to tournaments?

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby sws002 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:01 am

R. Chapman wrote:
sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:[quote="assateague"]I have no interest in shooting something I can't eat or sell.

Again, not many doves here.[/quote]

Sucks to suck
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:How much do you spend a year on trap loads, memberships, and entries to tournaments?

$687 in shells, $25 for an ATA membership and 10 tourneys with $42 per 100; this includes all the options I enter.
R. Chapman

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 am

Just got an email from one of the chemical reps we buy from, they're taking us to some nice place up in north georgia for a day of skeet shooting. Guess I better pay closer attention to professor chapman from here til then.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:11 am

R. Chapman wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:How much do you spend a year on trap loads, memberships, and entries to tournaments?

$687 in shells, $25 for an ATA membership and 10 tourneys with $42 per 100; this includes all the options I enter.

How much have you won?

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:13 am

Screw the shooting tips, what do the cheerleaders look like?? Do they put out?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby T Man » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:38 am

R. Chapman wrote:

100k pays for the weekend for most of those guys. $30k+ gun. Pallets of shells. Million dollar motor homes. No one wins the grand with an 870, so dont act like its a money making venture.
Eric Haynes wrote:
I just Betty'd the timeframe to make me seem older than 56.
T Man

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 am

Sort of like saying that one plays golf to make money, because the opportunity to win the Masters is present. Nonsensical.

But RMFC, I do agree- do whatever you like, if you enjoy it. I'm all for people doing what they please as a hobby. But don't blow smoke up my ass about making money doing it. And I also believe that the benefits it imparts to hunting birds are drastically overstated. Until you start shooting trap or skeet while wearing all your duck hunting clothes, and sitting there waiting with your gun across your lap for an unspecified period of time before shooting. I'm not buying it. I guarantee all the practice mounting a gun while wearing a t-shirt and jeans doesn't translate into mounting a gun while wearing 5 layers of heavy winter clothes in the rain, and shooting while sitting down.

I played lacrosse for many years. I used to get a kick out of all the guys who would practice without gloves or pads all summer long. They were wizards at looking good, and could practice like a champ. But when they put on the gloves and helmet in a game, they had the ball-handling skills of a barely functioning retard. Practice like you play. In the words of somebody I heard it from, "practice doesn't make perfect- perfect practice makes perfect".
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:15 am

I have a friend who is a AA NSCA shooter, he wins quite a bit of money. As he explained to me, it costs a shitload to win that money. If he breaks even he is happy, as he says I got to shoot my gun for free. He is into the pigeon shoots right now, too much money for my blood. He has been my hunting buddy for even longer, he is an amazing shot on live birds too.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby T Man » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:19 am

jarbo03 wrote: He is into the pigeon shoots right now, too much money for my blood.

Some serious coin changes hands during pigeon shoots. Its like the Super Bowl, everyone bets on everything.
Eric Haynes wrote:
T Man

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53 am

sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
sws002 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:[quote="R. Chapman"][quote="assateague"]I have no interest in shooting something I can't eat or sell.

Again, not many doves here.[/quote]

Sucks to suck[/quote]
At least you guys get a season on em.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

How much have you won?

I have won a good amount. They highest purse amount I ever won was 2 years ago at the Hoppie shoot in Missoula with 198/200 from the 24 yard line; the jack pot being $1350.
R. Chapman

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:54 am

assateague wrote:Serious. Shooting trap or skeet has always seemed about as appealing as going to the gym.

x1 meeeeelllion
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:08 pm

T Man wrote:
jarbo03 wrote: He is into the pigeon shoots right now, too much money for my blood.

Some serious coin changes hands during pigeon shoots. Its like the Super Bowl, everyone bets on everything.

Very true, especially during Cal Cuttas. I have always tried to buy myself but sometimes you get that person with deep pockets. Highest bid I ever got for me was $475,; again at the Hoppie, I eon the jackpot purse plus got 30% of the Cal Cutta money.
R. Chapman

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I have a friend who is a AA NSCA shooter, he wins quite a bit of money. As he explained to me, it costs a shitload to win that money. If he breaks even he is happy, as he says I got to shoot my gun for free. He is into the pigeon shoots right now, too much money for my blood. He has been my hunting buddy for even longer, he is an amazing shot on live birds too.

This is what I figured. Very expensive hobby that you could break even on. Maybe.

I enjoy shooting clays, but I'm not about to start chasing money while doing it.

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 pm

assateague wrote:Sort of like saying that one plays golf to make money, because the opportunity to win the Masters is present. Nonsensical.

But RMFC, I do agree- do whatever you like, if you enjoy it. I'm all for people doing what they please as a hobby. But don't blow smoke up my ass about making money doing it. And I also believe that the benefits it imparts to hunting birds are drastically overstated. Until you start shooting trap or skeet while wearing all your duck hunting clothes, and sitting there waiting with your gun across your lap for an unspecified period of time before shooting. I'm not buying it. I guarantee all the practice mounting a gun while wearing a t-shirt and jeans doesn't translate into mounting a gun while wearing 5 layers of heavy winter clothes in the rain, and shooting while sitting down.

I played lacrosse for many years. I used to get a kick out of all the guys who would practice without gloves or pads all summer long. They were wizards at looking good, and could practice like a champ. But when they put on the gloves and helmet in a game, they had the ball-handling skills of a barely functioning retard. Practice like you play. In the words of somebody I heard it from, "practice doesn't make perfect- perfect practice makes perfect".

Trap shooting is like duck hunting during the march shoots.
R. Chapman

Postby assateague » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Really? You have a guy standing next to you trash talking, while you're drinking a cup of coffee in the rain?
assateague

Postby T Man » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:55 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
Trap shooting is like duck hunting during the march shoots.

Trap shooting is NOTHING like duck hunting, and barely has any resemblance to pheasant hunting. Sell that to the people on the ATA forum, this is a place for duck hunting.
Eric Haynes wrote:
T Man

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:58 pm

assateague wrote:Really? You have a guy standing next to you trash talking, while you're drinking a cup of coffee in the rain?

Something like that, big coats on and shit ecad she its so damn cold and wet.
R. Chapman

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 pm

:popcorn: :popcorn:
goodkarmarising

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:26 pm

i shot clay pigeons once, when i was like 12. most boring thing ever, and nothing like hunting. if you can't hit something with a 3 foot circle of metal, you suck ass.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 pm

(MT)Montanafowler wrote:if you can't hit something with a 3 foot circle of metal, you suck ass.

Now I know for sure you don't actually duck hunt.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
(MT)Montanafowler wrote:if you can't hit something with a 3 foot circle of metal, you suck ass.

Now I know for sure you don't actually duck hunt.

“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Shotgun Forum