Pattern Master Anachonda choke

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Pattern Master Anachonda choke

Postby bill herian » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:27 pm

I have one of these chokes, but only hunted it a few times and its toom early to make a call on it.

I only bought it so I could I could say I have a PM. And because they are made in Wisconsin.

Welcome to the board :welcome:
bill herian

Postby sws002 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:45 pm

bill herian wrote:I have one of these chokes, but only hunted it a few times and its toom early to make a call on it.

I only bought it so I could I could say I have a PM. And because they are made in Wisconsin.

Welcome to the board :welcome:

Mattern Paster makes some good chokes, but I feel like they are a bit over-priced. I don't have any experience with the Anaconda but I do have buddies that have shot the Classic and the Code Black Duck with good results.

From what I've read on the Anaconda, I would be a tad concerned about how they "wind" gasses around the choke to aid in constriction. To me that sounds an awful lot like rifling, and that is definitely not what you want, unless it is straight (see Briley EXR chokes).

I personally shoot Kicks chokes and have been more than pleased with their performance, for a fraction of the cost. I think my next move is going to be to have Drakekiller chokes build me a custom choke for my Silver (Stu can kiss my ass!).
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby thierracing » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 am

How about a kicks choke? looking to be shooting ducks anywhere from 15 yards to 60 and I like to have a tighter patter for knocking down those Canadians? I like to use 3.5 hevi metal for the geese but usually just shoot 3" #2 at ducks. What you guys think? Kicks any good? Cheaper that's for sure! And what range should I get? I don't wanna be to tight that I have to be right on the ducks in close range but yet that nice tight pattern. Any info would be great!
MATT
thierracing

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Gonna have a tough time making one choke cover 15 - 60 yds
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Gonna have a tough time making one choke cover 15 - 60 yds

Factory mod does a pretty good job. At least on doves.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 pm

I shot the Kicks mod for 3-4 years before I switched to the Briley X2's
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby triplecurl » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 pm

I've been using a Kicks HF mod for several years and have been really pleased with it.
triplecurl

Postby thierracing » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:55 pm

does the high flier handle 3.5's well? I think im learning toward the HF mod right now. Havn't heard much about the Brileys. Ill do some research tonight.
thierracing

Postby triplecurl » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:12 pm

thierracing wrote:does the high flier handle 3.5's well? I think im learning toward the HF mod right now. Havn't heard much about the Brileys. Ill do some research tonight.

I've shot quite a few 3.5's thru it and it does just fine. The Hevi-Metal 3.5 #3 are my favorite, but several other brands do pretty good as well. With that said, my buddy shoots a Briley and really likes it. Either one will probably be just fine.
triplecurl

Postby RonE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 pm

I've been using Brileys and Wilson chokes for the past few years and have noticed the couple of times that I've been to the pattern board that different ammo preforms differently out of both chokes. 1 1/4 oz #4's 1400fps Federals are ok with my Wilson choke but with Kents same shot and weight but 1450fps does not preform as well or as dense a pattern. Your mileage may very but I think you need to pick a choke and pick some ammo and test them and see if it is what you want.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 pm

I think you ought to get a case of 8's and shoot 10 rounds of 5 stand and by then you'll realize it doesn't matter what choke is in the gun.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I think you ought to get a case of 8's and shoot 10 rounds of 5 stand and by then you'll realize it doesn't matter what choke is in the gun.

Or if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket you can be our resident choke tube reviewer.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Stu?
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:Stu?

Better
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby sws002 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I think you ought to get a case of 8's and shoot 10 rounds of 5 stand and by then you'll realize it doesn't matter what choke is in the gun.

This. I can say without a doubt that 95% of the birds I miss have nothing to do with my choke and trying to shoot birds too far away.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Previous

Return to The Shotgun Forum