Off - season repairs?

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Off - season repairs?

Postby gila-river » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:48 pm

Redbeard wrote:
gila-river wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396834464.609260.jpg

I've got an 870 to finish. It's a 1959 wing master. Just needs a barrel. I am going to paint it camo from a thread on TOS. Looking forward to finishing it. It is replacing a gun stolen from me a month before last seasons opener.
yeah buddy! Been contemplating giving my benelli a fresh paint job

Sorry bout the stolen gun though

Nice! Let me know how it goes if you paint it before I start mine. Ya it's a bummer about the gun. The last one was a family heirloom. It was a 1960 wingmaster. The only reason I didn't paint that one was cause I had nightmares of my gramps and dad digging out of their graves to kick my ass :lol: even worse than that is the fact that I shot it so good. Any ways this one I just bought the receiver off a guy who had it laying around it had the stock and forearm but it was so split I couldn't repair it. So it got a synthetic and is gonna be all field gun from here on out!
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 pm

gila-river wrote:

I've got an 870 to finish. It's a 1959 wing master. Just needs a barrel. I am going to paint it camo from a thread on TOS. Looking forward to finishing it. It is replacing a gun stolen from me a month before last seasons opener.

Do a little tutorial over here when you do the paint job, I've been toying with the idea of painting the boys 20 ga this summer.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 pm

gila-river wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
gila-river wrote:

Nice! Let me know how it goes if you paint it before I start mine. Ya it's a bummer about the gun. The last one was a family heirloom. It was a 1960 wingmaster. The only reason I didn't paint that one was cause I had nightmares of my gramps and dad digging out of their graves to kick my ass :lol: even worse than that is the fact that I shot it so good. Any ways this one I just bought the receiver off a guy who had it laying around it had the stock and forearm but it was so split I couldn't repair it. So it got a synthetic and is gonna be all field gun from here on out!
i don't put much effort into the paint job. It wears off and chips and I just touch it up every season with a rattle can. To me ugly is pretty
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby gila-river » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:52 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
gila-river wrote:

Do a little tutorial over here when you do the paint job, I've been toying with the idea of painting the boys 20 ga this summer.

You got it tripod. The guy over there did a badass job it looks great. The hand painted reeds worry me but I'll let you know how it goes.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby gila-river » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Redbeard wrote:
gila-river wrote:
Redbeard wrote:
gila-river wrote:

i don't put much effort into the paint job. It wears off and chips and I just touch it up every season with a rattle can. To me ugly is pretty

Good call. I want it to be a workhorse.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby Redbeard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Workhorses are ugly creatures
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:55 pm

gila-river wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
gila-river wrote:

You got it tripod. The guy over there did a badass job it looks great. The hand painted reeds worry me but I'll let you know how it goes.

cheat and use masking tape as a stencil?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby gila-river » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:56 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
gila-river wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
gila-river wrote:

cheat and use masking tape as a stencil?

Always using your noggin:lol: will do. I could probably fuck that up though when it comes to artistic endeavors.
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Meh, practice on your home cooked boat.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 pm

I am changing all of my dekes over to Texas style. so much nicer when it's cold than trying to wrap up string.

Retightening the the TMS.

Monte Carlo stock for the 870.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:04 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I am changing all of my dekes over to Texas style. so much nicer when it's cold than trying to wrap up string.

I wish I could texas rig my decoys. It creates even more trouble when you have 12 foot of line on your decoys though.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:05 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:I am changing all of my dekes over to Texas style. so much nicer when it's cold than trying to wrap up string.

I wish I could texas rig my decoys. It creates even more trouble when you have 12 foot of line on your decoys though.

I wish I would have switched over sooner. It's the way to go. 12 foot lines? Man that's some deep water.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:08 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:

I wish I would have switched over sooner. It's the way to go. 12 foot lines? Man that's some deep water.

Actually it might be more like 10 foot now that I think about it. We hunt on a big lake most of the time, so we need long lines.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:

Actually it might be more like 10 foot now that I think about it. We hunt on a big lake most of the time, so we need long lines.

I hate hunting deep water. I hate it more than 2 feet of water with mud that comes up to your thighs.
R. Chapman

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm working on a spell that will make it rain, and not get cold next winter.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

jarbo03 wrote:I'm working on a spell that will make it rain, and not get cold next winter.

Good luck. ;) :roll:
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:Actually it might be more like 10 foot now that I think about it. We hunt on a big lake most of the time, so we need long lines.

I hate hunting deep water. I hate it more than 2 feet of water with mud that comes up to your thighs.

I like deep water better, because it's easiest to walk in, the worst is water right below your knees IMO. You just have to take it slow and be careful once it gets up by your chest. Especially where I hunt because there are quite a few holes and drop offs in the bottom. I've fell in over my head once, and it wasn't a fun finishing the hunt in my undies. We hunt with boat though, so if we don't have to worry about it if we get a cripple that starts out swimming the dogs.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby gila-river » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Redbeard wrote:Workhorses are ugly creatures

And ugly is beautiful!
EAT YOUR VEGETABLES

#coonass in the cactus
gila-river

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:23 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:Actually it might be more like 10 foot now that I think about it. We hunt on a big lake most of the time, so we need long lines.

I like deep water better, because it's easiest to walk in, the worst is water right below your knees IMO. You just have to take it slow and be careful once it gets up by your chest. Especially where I hunt because there are quite a few holes and drop offs in the bottom. I've fell in over my head once, and it wasn't a fun finishing the hunt in my undies. We hunt with boat though, so if we don't have to worry about it if we get a cripple that starts out swimming the dogs.

Another thing I hate hunting with; boats.
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

R. Chapman wrote:Another thing I hate hunting with; boats.

It is a must where we hunt. Unless we are actually out in the lake we generally don't even sit it though, we park it throw the blind up, and go hide and set up our decoys about 125 yards downshore.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

gila-river wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
gila-river wrote:

It's a piece of cake. I did mine and my wife's, and they came out great. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:

It is a must where we hunt. Unless we are actually out in the lake we generally don't even sit it though, we park it throw the blind up, and go hide and set up our decoys about 125 yards downshore.

I guess I like to work for my ducks. Oh well. Everyone gets to be a fool at something. ;)
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:

I guess I like to work for my ducks. Oh well. Everyone gets to be a fool at something. ;)

How is that not working for our ducks? We sure as hell can't swim out to our hunting spot.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm that dumbass that will haul in 4-6 dozen decoys at 3 in the morning 2 miles through deep mud and water and freeze my nuts off to get my 7 duck limit.
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I'm that dumbass that will haul in 4-6 dozen decoys at 3 in the morning 2 miles through deep mud and water and freeze my nuts off to get my 7 duck limit.

We did that a few time this year in a couple of our spots that were to shallow for the boat because of the drought, only to find out that the ducks that hang out in those spots prefer 2 mallard decoys on a jerk cord over a huge spread.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:I'm that dumbass that will haul in 4-6 dozen decoys at 3 in the morning 2 miles through deep mud and water and freeze my nuts off to get my 7 duck limit.

We did that a few time this year in a couple of our spots that were to shallow for the boat because of the drought, only to find out that the ducks that hang out in those spots prefer 2 mallard decoys on a jerk cord over a huge spread.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Had that happen a few times.
R. Chapman

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:44 pm

assateague wrote:
gila-river wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
gila-river wrote:

It's a piece of cake. I did mine and my wife's, and they came out great. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Does the paint hold up very well? I'm mostly curious about the prep on the gun and the type of paint that will last.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:

The worst is when you do all that work and the birds just aren't flying, then finally a group of about 15 honkers comes in and makes a pass over you real low, and you and whoever you're hunting with both shoot the same one. :roll:
ducks~n~bucks

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:

The worst is when you do all that work and the birds just aren't flying, then finally a group of about 15 honkers comes in and makes a pass over you real low, and you and whoever you're hunting with both shoot the same one. :roll:

Well you know how to settle that one right?
R. Chapman

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:

Well you know how to settle that one right?

I always just give the bird to the other person, it just really sucks when you couldv'e shot more. How do you settle it? Now you've got me curious.
ducks~n~bucks

PreviousNext

Return to The Shotgun Forum