Stoegar m3500 problems?

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:05 pm

I just recently bought a stoegar and so far it's been a pretty great gun, I've got the black out duck choke in it, that says it is made for benelli, and berreta, but the people at bass pro claimed it could use this choke because it is made by benelli. So Ive been using the choke and I've killed a few ducks, but I took it out and shot skeet the other day, and every shot my was would be right behind, and almost hitting the skeet! But the bullets would never hit it!!! Does any one have any advice for why this is happening? I was considering maybe my shooting had just gotten that bad! But I had everyone in the group shoot, and we all got the same result. I'm open to all advice and suggestions
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Holes in the pattern. Clays are way smaller than a duck
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:18 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Holes in the pattern. Clays are way smaller than a duck

But wouldn't those same holes be there when shooting at a duck? What's the best choke for duck hunting??
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby sws002 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:19 pm

What he said. It would be pretty obvious if the choke wasn't the right one for the gun, as it likely wouldn't even screw into the gun. Also sounds like you are aiming pretty hard if you know where your wad is ending up, which would explain shooting behind everything.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:23 pm

sws002 wrote:What he said. It would be pretty obvious if the choke wasn't the right one for the gun, as it likely wouldn't even screw into the gun. Also sounds like you are aiming pretty hard if you know where your wad is ending up, which would explain shooting behind everything.

I'm just a young buck, so some of these questiobs that sound stupid, or not right is because I don't know to much when it comes to all that. But I am trying to learn the best I can. But I'm not saying the wad would be behind it as in missing. Ins saying the was would almost look like it was chasing the clay targwrs, but no pellets are hittinf, once again I appolagize if I sound like I'm clueless! I've shot skeet a lot, and I've never had a problem like this..
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby sws002 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Kerrywhite30 wrote:
sws002 wrote:What he said. It would be pretty obvious if the choke wasn't the right one for the gun, as it likely wouldn't even screw into the gun. Also sounds like you are aiming pretty hard if you know where your wad is ending up, which would explain shooting behind everything.

I'm just a young buck, so some of these questiobs that sound stupid, or not right is because I don't know to much when it comes to all that. But I am trying to learn the best I can. But I'm not saying the wad would be behind it as in missing. Ins saying the was would almost look like it was chasing the clay targwrs, but no pellets are hittinf, once again I appolagize if I sound like I'm clueless! I've shot skeet a lot, and I've never had a problem like this..

No worries bud, you're not even close to asking stupid questions. My point is that you really should never see your wad, at least not consistently. If you can see your wad, it means you are picking your head up off the stock and "peeking". Which usually causes you to shoot over your target. On a target going straight away, it would look exactly like your wad is on track, but the target is actually falling. Keep your cheek glued to the stock and focus on the target (forget about your bead).
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:35 pm

OH, now I understand. Do you think there could be a hole in the pattern? AND should I change chokes?? What doody people use for clay shooting, and duck hunting?
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby sws002 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:49 pm

There very well could be a hole in the pattern, only way to tell that is to pattern it. No point in changing chokes unless you do that first. That blackout choke is a decent one, only thing I would suggest is to stay away from any shells with specially designed wads (Blindside, Black Cloud, Hypersonic) as they don't perform well with ported chokes.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby parsonrider » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Even though the people at Bass Pro said the choke was made by Bennelli I would still check to see what the proper chokes are for you particular shotgun. Benelli and Beretta make several different thread patterns for their guns. My suspicion is that your shotgun takes the Beretta/Benelli mobil choke. This is the common pattern for the Nova/Super Nova and the lesser expensive guns. Your owners manual will probably specify this, providing the manual is in the box.

As far as the skeet problem, depending on what station you are on, if the shot is crossing in front of you the lead should be 3-4 feet in front of the clay. Open chokes are best with Imp. Cylinder the most you'd need. No. 8 or 9 shot is best as it puts up a sizable cloud. I would check the choke, and stay shooting skeet with more lead. Additionally, what has helped me is to swing through the bird, obtain proper lead, squeeze the trigger and follow through. :thumbsup:
Diplomacy: The art of telling a man to go to @#$%, and making them look forward to the trip.
May those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn the heart. But if he can't turn their heart, may he turn their ankle so we'll know them by their limping.
User avatar
parsonrider
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:25 pm
Location: Harbor Beach, MI

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:21 pm

And generally your pattern and your wad are in the same place...if the wad is behind the target, so is the shot.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby sws002 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:02 pm

parsonrider wrote:Even though the people at Bass Pro said the choke was made by Bennelli I would still check to see what the proper chokes are for you particular shotgun. Benelli and Beretta make several different thread patterns for their guns. My suspicion is that your shotgun takes the Beretta/Benelli mobil choke. This is the common pattern for the Nova/Super Nova and the lesser expensive guns. Your owners manual will probably specify this, providing the manual is in the box.

As far as the skeet problem, depending on what station you are on, if the shot is crossing in front of you the lead should be 3-4 feet in front of the clay. Open chokes are best with Imp. Cylinder the most you'd need. No. 8 or 9 shot is best as it puts up a sizable cloud. I would check the choke, and stay shooting skeet with more lead. Additionally, what has helped me is to swing through the bird, obtain proper lead, squeeze the trigger and follow through.

The choke wasn't made by Benelli, it has the Benelli/Beretta Mobil style threads, which is the correct thread pattern for that gun.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:06 pm

sws002 wrote:
parsonrider wrote:Even though the people at Bass Pro said the choke was made by Bennelli I would still check to see what the proper chokes are for you particular shotgun. Benelli and Beretta make several different thread patterns for their guns. My suspicion is that your shotgun takes the Beretta/Benelli mobil choke. This is the common pattern for the Nova/Super Nova and the lesser expensive guns. Your owners manual will probably specify this, providing the manual is in the box.

As far as the skeet problem, depending on what station you are on, if the shot is crossing in front of you the lead should be 3-4 feet in front of the clay. Open chokes are best with Imp. Cylinder the most you'd need. No. 8 or 9 shot is best as it puts up a sizable cloud. I would check the choke, and stay shooting skeet with more lead. Additionally, what has helped me is to swing through the bird, obtain proper lead, squeeze the trigger and follow through.

The choke wasn't made by Benelli, it has the Benelli/Beretta Mobil style threads, which is the correct thread pattern for that gun.

See they said it had the same threads, but I wanted someone to confirm it. I'm going to take some time and pattern the gun with different chokes. I figure maybe it would pattern better with the chokes it came with which are improved, full, and a huge turkey choke, I thought the black out choke would be better than stock chokes, but I guess without pattering it, I have no clue. It's killed ducks but it was just terrible on the skeet, and the targets were thrown directly straight so there was no cross shooting, there was only shooting it in front of you, which is usually the easiest shots. I appreciate all advice and people taking the time to help!
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Isn't the black out choke tube for turkey hunting? Put in the factory IC and see what happens. Could be like trying to hit targets with a rifle.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Yah - I'd guess it's way over choked for the skeet field
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby sws002 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Isn't the black out choke tube for turkey hunting? Put in the factory IC and see what happens. Could be like trying to hit targets with a rifle.

No, Bass Pro's new line of waterfowl chokes are the Black Outs as well. They are just Carlsons
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:54 pm

sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Isn't the black out choke tube for turkey hunting? Put in the factory IC and see what happens. Could be like trying to hit targets with a rifle.

No, Bass Pro's new line of waterfowl chokes are the Black Outs as well. They are just Carlsons


I'll be damned, hadn't seen them. Curious as to what constriction the OP is using.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:59 am

jarbo03 wrote:
sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Isn't the black out choke tube for turkey hunting? Put in the factory IC and see what happens. Could be like trying to hit targets with a rifle.

No, Bass Pro's new line of waterfowl chokes are the Black Outs as well. They are just Carlsons


I'll be damned, hadn't seen them. Curious as to what constriction the OP is using.

Here's some pictures... Maybe help
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:01 am

It says waterfowl. So I don't believe it's for turkeys..lol
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:03 am

Kerrywhite30 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Isn't the black out choke tube for turkey hunting? Put in the factory IC and see what happens. Could be like trying to hit targets with a rifle.

No, Bass Pro's new line of waterfowl chokes are the Black Outs as well. They are just Carlsons


I'll be damned, hadn't seen them. Curious as to what constriction the OP is using.

Here's some pictures... Maybe help



That would be a Modified. Only thing to do is pattern it on paper. I have before had a choke tube where the POI was off, Carlson exchanged it for me. Let us know what the pattern is like.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 am

jarbo03 wrote:
Kerrywhite30 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
sws002 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Isn't the black out choke tube for turkey hunting? Put in the factory IC and see what happens. Could be like trying to hit targets with a rifle.

No, Bass Pro's new line of waterfowl chokes are the Black Outs as well. They are just Carlsons


I'll be damned, hadn't seen them. Curious as to what constriction the OP is using.

Here's some pictures... Maybe help



That would be a Modified. Only thing to do is pattern it on paper. I have before had a choke tube where the POI was off, Carlson exchanged it for me. Let us know what the pattern is like.

POI? Meaning point of impact?
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby sws002 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 am

Kerrywhite30 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
Kerrywhite30 wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
sws002 wrote:[quote="jarbo03"]Isn't the black out choke tube for turkey hunting? Put in the factory IC and see what happens. Could be like trying to hit targets with a rifle.

No, Bass Pro's new line of waterfowl chokes are the Black Outs as well. They are just Carlsons


I'll be damned, hadn't seen them. Curious as to what constriction the OP is using.

Here's some pictures... Maybe help



That would be a Modified. Only thing to do is pattern it on paper. I have before had a choke tube where the POI was off, Carlson exchanged it for me. Let us know what the pattern is like.

POI? Meaning point of impact?[/quote]
Yes.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Olly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:49 am

Kerrywhite, go to the office supply store and buy one of those huge pads of paper and go pattern your gun if anything is off you'll notice right away.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15500
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:23 am

Olly wrote:Kerrywhite, go to the office supply store and buy one of those huge pads of paper and go pattern your gun if anything is off you'll notice right away.

Will do
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:35 am

Olly wrote:Kerrywhite, go to the office supply store and buy one of those huge pads of paper and go pattern your gun if anything is off you'll notice right away.

One last question, how far away should you pattern your shotgun? Yard wise?
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Olly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am

Kerrywhite30 wrote:
Olly wrote:Kerrywhite, go to the office supply store and buy one of those huge pads of paper and go pattern your gun if anything is off you'll notice right away.

One last question, how far away should you pattern your shotgun? Yard wise?

However far away you usually shoot ducks. I'd say 20-30yds
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15500
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby sws002 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 am

I like 30-40, you'll find out quickly how much your pattern disintegrates after 30 yards.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Well.... I patterned in the gun at both 20 and 25 yards, honestly there were no holes in either spread with either choke.. The choke that came with the gun is a lot tighter together, and the duck choke has a little more spread, but from 20 yards both chokes shot extremely tight, like overlapping tight. I guess maybe we were just shooting badly. But while were on the topic, what is the difference between heavy shot, and regular? I have Been shooting Winchester 3' 1/2s. But I also have some
Heavi steel, that are also 3'1/2 but is there any difference?? They patterned basically the same. Also should you work about velocity, and oz? I know it's a speed
Difference, but does it matter when shooting ducks? Of course quicker is better right?
Sorry for it being so long!
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Olly » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Most of the time it's not the gun but the operator...

Pick you a load that you like, pattern it with the chokes you have so you can have a better idea of the spread at X distance. Pattern it at multiple distances. Then just stick with that load/gun/choke combo and work on your shooting.

Also I'd bet 99% of the members here will tell you that you don't need 31/2" shells. My go to load is a 3"#3.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
User avatar
Olly
WFF Administrator
 
Posts: 15500
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Olly wrote:Most of the time it's not the gun but the operator...

Pick you a load that you like, pattern it with the chokes you have so you can have a better idea of the spread at X distance. Pattern it at multiple distances. Then just stick with that load/gun/choke combo and work on your shooting.

Also I'd bet 99% of the members here will tell you that you don't need 31/2" shells. My go to load is a 3"#3.

I know 3" 1/2 is overkill, but when I first started this year I shot 3 inch federals, cheap steel shot, and it took three shots to kill my first duck, and I don't believe it should take nearly that many.
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Re: Stoegar m3500 problems?

Postby Kerrywhite30 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Maybe I just need to get use to it, being a new gun and all..
Kerrywhite30
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Next

Return to The Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron