Decent shotgun for the money

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Decent shotgun for the money

Postby Cox Cypress » Sun May 17, 2015 10:38 pm

'picked up two Winchester Super X3's this year. Both are 3.5's----yes I hunt public. One is a black shadow with the 26" barrel and one is MOSGB with the 28" barrel. I have the black one choked with a Modified Kicks High Flyer and the CAMO model has a factory choke.

They have cheapened the SX3 shifting production to Portugal. The stocks are not Dura Touch and are okay. The Camo job is okay. The black stock is so-so. The metal parts and the fit Are excellent. The trigger is phenomenal on both and they will eat anything you feed em. We have been shooting them frequently with no issues. The black shadow finish they have now is excellent. They are easy to clean, light and recoil is fine with the big shells. The manchine work is good. The black shadow has this stupid Crimson accent paint but it's not too bright. They point and handle like a dream. The LOP is a little over 14" and works well with duck hunting clothes.

If you want a good shotgun you can depend upon for $900, the Black shadow SX3 is a really good choice. I wanted to get two so our son could use one so money was an issue. I'm happy with this decision. I will post more as these things are hunted.

[url][[URL=http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Letmland/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspn9ad58f.jpg.html]Image[/url]/url]
Cox Cypress

Re: Decent shotgun for the money

Postby R. Chapman » Mon May 18, 2015 12:14 am

At $900 you might as well pony up another $300 and get. Benelli M2.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Cox Cypress » Mon May 18, 2015 5:12 am

True dat but then I am spending $2400 instead of $1800. I spent the first half of my life looking out for numero uno and almost lost my family over it. I don't do anything anymore unless my boys are included. I had to get two shotguns. I won't hunt of fish unless they are with me.

The other deal is we hunt a lot on public land in AR. You will be encroached upon. I don't like tee topping but after I have turned the other cheek once by moving which always happens, I will prune the tree tops to ensure the boys get some trigger time. 3.5's aka the big shells with an extended wad slowing choke makes it much easier to knock em down when you have people hunting all over you. Had a guy come in a few years ago while hunting with one of my sons who came in right at legal while we had about 20 landing and set up so close I could see his face. He set his spinner up and tree topped all morning. I didn't get mad even while he was peppering us. I got prepared. It was a teachable moment to one of our sons. I let him know the judge wouldn't care that this guy was peppering us if we peppered back and put his eye out.
Cox Cypress

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon May 18, 2015 12:30 pm

You are clearly a bigger man than I. The sx3 is a good gun. Winchester copy of the maxus and the smarter buy if money is considered.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby iceman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:04 pm

I have a maxxis and my son has a sx3 I think I shoot his sx3 better. Both are great guns and never have had a problem with both guns
iceman

Return to The Shotgun Forum