Benelli Nova or SuperNova

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Re: Benelli Nova or SuperNova

Postby DukMan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Don't spend the extra for the supernova... I own a nova and one thing I will tell you is that it is the best gun for the money I've ever owned... I have a Browning A5, Browning Maxus, Browning Gold Hunter... and have had problems in the cold with all of them!

Your a bigger boy than me 170# and when the adrenaline kicks in when those mallards/geese are getting skinny you don't feel a thing... the action is a bit mechanical but tolerable. I've dropped mine in the lake, dumped out the water, and boom..boom...boom... no problem. I too got mine when money was tight and I wanted an economical goose gun.. but what I got was way more than that. I bring two shotguns on every trip and the Benelli Nova is always one of them. It has never let me down and never bruised my shoulder even shooting 3 1/2...

Don't be afraid of the low price and the assumed lack of "bells and whistles" the Nova is a great gun and I would never tell anyone to think otherwise.
2018 Totals
4 Canadian Geese
7 Blue Wing Teal
2 Green Wing Teal
1 Gadwall
1 Black Duck
1 Canvasback
6 Bufflehead
12 Mallards ( 10 drakes + 2 hens)
10 Wood Ducks

Mergansers
1 Hooded ( 1 Drake)
1 Common ( 1 Hen)
DukMan

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:52 pm

wild_man_jack wrote:Hello, brand new member and apologies if this has been beat to death...
I'm looking to get a new shotgun, upgrade from my maverick 88. I do alot of pass shooting for Canada geese and think maybe 3-1/2 would be an ok idea. I want to buy a quality shotgun this time and researched the remington expresses and winchester sxp and had decided a browning bps would be good based on reading about quality/problems of each on various forums, but when I picked up the bps at 2 different visits to the store, EVERY other gun seemed to fit better. I had to crouch over the bps too much it felt like and took an extra second to align my eye with the bead. Then I tried a super nova and ugly as it may be (to some) the fit was perfect. It was natural.
So even tho I wanted a wood stock classic style gun ultimately it's a tool first so I think I'm going with benelli. In canada, a realtree super nova is 900 dollars, and the realtree camo nova is 720, but the novas (only) are on sale this week for 670. That 230 dollars is a lot for me and most people when I researched the difference talk about changing out stocks and the recoil reducer. I will never change stocks out and I'm 6'6" and 300 lbs so even with super mag shells not sure recoil plays much into the decision, so I'm just wondering, are there any other differences besides 1 piece stock and comfortech? I could spend the extra if there was something more that affects function (other than recoil) or durability but I have a hard time paying that much just for those 2 things.
What do you all think? 250 is 10 boxes of decent shells here....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site!

For the reasons you've already pointed out, I'd stick with the Nova and get yourself a nice case of shells to run through it and call it a day. At your stature the recoil shouldn't be an issue, nothing that Comfortech would make a huge difference on at least. Good luck this season
Darren

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:51 am

Much better idea than the BPS you were thinking on.
Rick

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:03 am

Rick wrote:Much better idea than the BPS you were thinking on.

This! Have seen more than one hunt ruined for a BPS shooter when it jammed and we were unable to sufficiently access the innards to remedy the problem out in he field.

And also, sadly, the Remmy Express shotguns are not what they used to be. Though a Benelli Nova might not be the prettiest gun ever pulled out of a case, it's been a solid performer for those I know who own them.
Darren

Postby team216 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:50 pm

I've got both the nova and supernova. The only real difference I have found between the two is the supernova is a pound lighter. I think it comes up better than the nova. But if my girlfriend (hunting partner) didn't like the nova better. I would have never bought the supernova. My nova is ten years old and I don't think I've ever even cleaned it. Other than spray it down with oil. It's a rock solid gun! It's been a tool for me since I was 15. It's been an oar, and ice breaker, a walking stick. And every time it shoots all three shells. Hands down for the money I think it's the best gun. It's killed plenty of ducks and geese. A reliable gun is the most important thing when your out. I never doubted that my gun wouldn't fire. Pull the trigger on the nova while it's on sale!
team216

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:19 am

I've got a benelli supernova. One morning two days before the end of last season after a lot of shooting on a wood duck hunt I noticed the barrel was bulged. Sent it to benelli a few days later, they called and said they weren't gona replace the barrel, and I still haven't gotten the gun or what's left of it back. Bought a browning maxus this summer and have put over 1,000 rounds through it with no misfires or jams. Love this gun and will never buy another benelli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlintRiverFowler

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:31 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:I've got a benelli supernova. One morning two days before the end of last season after a lot of shooting on a wood duck hunt I noticed the barrel was bulged. Sent it to benelli a few days later, they called and said they weren't gona replace the barrel, and I still haven't gotten the gun or what's left of it back. Bought a browning maxus this summer and have put over 1,000 rounds through it with no misfires or jams. Love this gun and will never buy another benelli.

^^^ Hi-power and ultra high-speed ammo is ruining shotguns. Talk to some gunsmiths and see if they'll back me up but I doubt it. Repairing all the broken parts and replacing all the bulged barrels is their bread and butter money. Use the highest powered fastest loads you can find. ;)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 am

Nova. I don't see the need for the extra padding. The Novas are so heavy it doesn't matter.

“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Deltaman » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:33 am

aunt betty wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:I've got a benelli supernova. One morning two days before the end of last season after a lot of shooting on a wood duck hunt I noticed the barrel was bulged. Sent it to benelli a few days later, they called and said they weren't gona replace the barrel, and I still haven't gotten the gun or what's left of it back. Bought a browning maxus this summer and have put over 1,000 rounds through it with no misfires or jams. Love this gun and will never buy another benelli.

^^^ Hi-power and ultra high-speed ammo is ruining shotguns. Talk to some gunsmiths and see if they'll back me up but I doubt it. Repairing all the broken parts and replacing all the bulged barrels is their bread and butter money. Use the highest powered fastest loads you can find. ;)

I agree on the ultra high-speed ammo damaging guns, especially with most duck hunters using an aftermarket, typically tighter choke. I have been using a Terror-Tube in my Benelli for several years, and was told not to exceed 1500 fps. I typically use the 1400-1450 fps shells, but did have an issue with my barrel a few years back. The part that is welded on the barrel that meets the magazine broke off, and the cap on the magazine also lost it's tip. Not so sure it wasn't from using the tighter choke, but I damn sure took it out and replaced it with the standard modified choke that came with it when sending in for repair. They did not replace the barrel, just re-welded the part onto the barrel, but did replace the magazine cap. Always thought the Benelli's were warrantied for life, but if I remember correctly, was told it is a 3 year warranty. Thankfully, my gun was within the 3 years.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:04 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Nova. I don't see the need for the extra padding. The Novas are so heavy it doesn't matter.

If I've ever even held a Nova, I've forgotten it. But I distinctly recall the first one I saw being shot. One of our guides had bought one, and he and another were giving it a go on our camp clays range while I was in the lot working on a tractor or implement of some sort. After the first however-many shots, there was a "Bang! Jeezus C....!!!" followed shortly by another bang and "Mother F...!!!"

Turned out that after running a box of skeet loads through the Nova, they decided to try some 3 1/2"s. Apparently made it a whole 'nother gun.
Rick

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Rick wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Nova. I don't see the need for the extra padding. The Novas are so heavy it doesn't matter.

If I've ever even held a Nova, I've forgotten it. But I distinctly recall the first one I saw being shot. One of our guides had bought one, and he and another were giving it a go on our camp clays range while I was in the lot working on a tractor or implement of some sort. After the first however-many shots, there was a "Bang! Jeezus C....!!!" followed shortly by another bang and "Mother F...!!!"

Turned out that after running a box of skeet loads through the Nova, they decided to try some 3 1/2"s. Apparently made it a whole 'nother gun.

When my stoeger shit the bed I borrowed Ollys Nova to finish out the season. Kicked like a mule but was always reliable. The funny thing was that everyone I hunted with bitched about how it rang their ears. I guess the boom doesn't get to the shooter like it does to other people.

FlintRiverFowler

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Did it have a short barrel or ported choke? Either can be a killer for folks beside it. When the SBEs first came out, one of our regulars bought one with a 24" barrel and then had it ported below the choke because the 3 1/2" shells kicked so bad, and the first time he shot it next to me, I quite literally thought it had blown up. After that, I'd grab my ears as I called the shots.
Rick

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Rick wrote:Did it have a short barrel or ported choke? Either can be a killer for folks beside it. When the SBEs first came out, one of our regulars bought one with a 24" barrel and then had it ported below the choke because the 3 1/2" shells kicked so bad, and the first time he shot it next to me, I quite literally thought it had blown up. After that, I'd grab my ears as I called the shots.

Come to think of it, it had a long barrel 28" but I did have a ported kicks high flyer choke screwed in the end. I used the same choke on the stoeger and it didn't bother people though.

FlintRiverFowler

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:39 am

If it wasn't the choke, you've got me. I've shared blinds with a mess of them over the years and never noticed their having an especially loud report. Might have to try to pay more attention next time one comes through.
Rick

Return to The Shotgun Forum