Difference between cheap Winchester shells and Black Cloud o

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Difference between cheap Winchester shells and Black Cloud o

Postby Everydaylimits » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:44 am

Check out this video to see the difference between the Winchester shells and Black cloud. What shells do you prefer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPXbOIU-hxg
Everydaylimits

Re: Difference between cheap Winchester shells and Black Clo

Postby AmericanArms1776 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 pm

Everydaylimits wrote:Check out this video to see the difference between the Winchester shells and Black cloud. What shells do you prefer?

If it's a choice between just these two specific loads, I will take the Black Cloud every time. I have used both in the past (the exact loads in the video as well) and the Black Cloud is definitely the better quality shotshell. Patterns can be very good out of both the Super-X and the BC, but the BC has better pellets and (since 2018) cleaner powder burn. One major difference not discussed in the video is the wadding. The BC uses a Fed. Flitecontrol wad, whereas the the Win. Super-X uses a basic full length non-tox shotshell cup/wad with 4 pedals.

Personally, I have stopped using steel shot entirely and will not be going back. In 2019 I transitioned to BOSS and now everyone I hunt with has also made the switch. My all around choice for waterfowl in the 12ga is the 2-3/4" 1-1/4oz #4 load, and for a dedicated goose hunt I use the 3" 1-1/2oz #3 load. No need for a 3.5" when all you need fits in a 2-3/4" or 3" hull. My favorite load of all time from Boss has become the 10ga 2-1/16oz load of #2's for CRUSHING fat honkers; It's just brutal on them.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

- Isaiah 6:8
AmericanArms1776

Postby #1WATERFOWLER » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:44 am

I prefer Federal speed shok 1 1/8 oz #2 but if it's a choice between these two I'd shoot the Black Cloud
#1WATERFOWLER

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:11 pm

At 20 yards both shells will kill cleanly. At 30 yards is where the BC proves it’s worth
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:27 am

Ducaholic wrote:At 30 yards is where the BC proves it’s worth

From what standpoint? It's still standard steel, so not ballistically. And if you've ever held in your hand the "razor sharp edge" proprietary shot, you'll find that it's merely a ridge on the pellet, anything but the advertised razor sharp edge.

Superior pattern density from their FliteControl wad, maybe?? What choke you shooting it through?
Darren

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 pm

Everydaylimits wrote:Check out this video to see the difference between the Winchester shells and Black cloud. What shells do you prefer?

Save your money for more memory cards.
You don't need black cloud.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:15 am

Darren wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:At 30 yards is where the BC proves it’s worth

From what standpoint? It's still standard steel, so not ballistically. And if you've ever held in your hand the "razor sharp edge" proprietary shot, you'll find that it's merely a ridge on the pellet, anything but the advertised razor sharp edge.

Superior pattern density from their FliteControl wad, maybe?? What choke you shooting it through?

Modified. The consistency of the pattern density at distance is the key. I shot a case of them this year and I was very impressed with their clean kill properties at distances bargain based shells can not match with the gun in my hands.

I also found that BC's dispatched cripples outside of normal gun range far better than loads I shot previously.
Ducaholic

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:43 am

My MO allows me to kill ducks with pretty much whatever I got. If id stretch my comfort range to 45 yds I'd kill more ducks and cripple more too.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:29 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:My MO allows me to kill ducks with pretty much whatever I got. If id stretch my comfort range to 45 yds I'd kill more ducks and cripple more too.

Nothing pisses me off more than when I ask somebody how they did and they tell me how many they knocked down. We're all going to lose some. Knocked down and lost is failure and not success. It's worse than nothing. I hate when people use it as a measure of success.
SpinnerMan

Postby 5 stand » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:49 am

I couldn't agree more! SpinnerMan
5 stand

Postby plainsman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:21 pm

I've never used BC, but have tried speedshock. All my shotguns give a much better pattern with Win. over fed. That seals it for me....better, more consistent patterns are my main goal. Taking birds at the 35yd. ranges has been no issue with 1550 #2"s and 3's although the majority of my shots are -30yd. using a light mod. choke.
plainsman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:17 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:My MO allows me to kill ducks with pretty much whatever I got. If id stretch my comfort range to 45 yds I'd kill more ducks and cripple more too.

Nothing pisses me off more than when I ask somebody how they did and they tell me how many they knocked down. We're all going to lose some. Knocked down and lost is failure and not success. It's worse than nothing. I hate when people use it as a measure of success.

Hehehe. The last duck I knocked down was one hell of an adventure. It crashed into the edge of the hole in a little buck brushy spot. It got under the ice.
They shot a hole so it could "escape" then Henry blasted it. We don't let nothing get away hardly.
Had days where we killed 50+ a few days right at the end of season. It got icy. We stacked em and everyone was shooting experts.
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Shotgun Forum