10 Gauge Hand Load - 1-1/2oz Bismuth Duck Load

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

10 Gauge Hand Load - 1-1/2oz Bismuth Duck Load

Postby AmericanArms1776 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:29 pm

I thought I would take the time to share a Bismuth hand-load I have been playing with for ducks and small geese in the 10 gauge. This load is based on the load data published by Ballistic Products for the ITX-10 shot pellets in the 1-3/8oz and 1-1/2oz charges. I am sure it excedes the SAMMI Spec's of 12k PSI MAP for the 10ga 3-1/2" Magnum, but if we are honest with ourselves we know that the SAMMI pressure limits for 10ga are bit of a joke and modern 10ga barrels are capable of handling much higher pressures equal to those of the 12ga Supermagnum's ~14-14.5k psi MAP. That said, use this data at your own risk.

Hull(s): Remington .250 plastic Base wad OR Remington "yellow/white" base wad Steel Shot/Non-Tox Hull
Primer: CCI #209 (CCI #209 Magnum OK, better for cold weather)
Powder: Hodgdon Longshot (44gr)
Gas Seal: X10X + NC10 (0.125" 10ga Maxi Nitro Card)
Wad: Remington SP-10 (Substitute of PT1044 is OK)
Shot: 1-1/2oz (656.3gr) of Bismuth shot (Size of your choice, my preference is #3 or #4 BOSS copper plated shot)
Crimp: 6-point star, set press to inset crimp 0.085"
Opprox./Avg Muzzle Velocity: ~1,450-1,475 FPS
Optional: 2.5cc BPI original Buffer and 10ga paper OS Card

Notes:

1) Choke IM or Full for best results. Patterns out of a 28" Gold 10 with a Carlson's IM choke are 80% in 30" circle at 35 yards with buffered load, 75% in 30" circle at 35 yards with no buffer added excellent from far edge of the decoys to 45-50 yards. Open up to a Mod or Light Mod if you absolutely have to crush puddle ducks with the 10ga in closer than 30 yards. 25 yard tests on Crows has shown DEVASTATING results, but is too much sauce unless you are making duck burgers after the hunt. This is a dedicated "medium to long range" duck load, so think of it as such and try not to "poof!" too many birds with it. This is absolutely a great over the decoys/light goose load.

2) I have substituted the Winchester Poly-based (plastic) hull used in their Steel and Lead loads with success. The shorter hull length removes the need for the NC10 over the gas seal unless you wish to throw a lighter charge of 1-1/4 to 1-3/8oz and still seat the crimp into the hull top approx. 0.080" for a tight seal and reliable pressures in cold weather. Cheddite hulls may also be utilized, deleting the NC10 over the gas seal as well. I have not played with Federal hulls in this load yet, but my best guess in that the NC10 will be needed due to the hull height unless cutting down to 3.400" or less OAL. My best results and best looking loads have come from the Remington hulls.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

- Isaiah 6:8
AmericanArms1776

Return to The Shotgun Forum