Trying this one this season

What scatter guns are you using?

Moderator: MOhuntingGuy

Trying this one this season

Postby Anotherone » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:29 am

Just traded my Browning A-bolt 308 for this Browning Silver 3.5 last night. A co-worker just joined a deer lease and wanted the rifle, I said it’s not for sale but I’ll trade. He offered his duck gun because he said he’s done with birds, chasing deer exclusively now. Lucky me.
It’s got a carlsons extended light modified in the barrel, a cabelas northern flight sling and 3 factory chokes. I’ll try it tomorrow morning on some doves if they fly.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Anotherone

Re: Trying this one this season

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:36 am

Anotherone wrote:Just traded my Browning A-bolt 308 for this Browning Silver 3.5 last night. A co-worker just joined a deer lease and wanted the rifle, I said it’s not for sale but I’ll trade. He offered his duck gun because he said he’s done with birds, chasing deer exclusively now. Lucky me.
It’s got a carlsons extended light modified in the barrel, a cabelas northern flight sling and 3 factory chokes. I’ll try it tomorrow morning on some doves if they fly.

Yeah...lay it in the ground once to pee and you'll spend 40 minutes searching.
Paint something on it with a white dot.
Oh...careful or you'll shoot your eye out mister.

Had a Camo gun.
Set it down to crawl up a berm and peer over to see if the ducks were there.
They were but now I can't find Betsy.
I've had some pretty wild adventures.
That day ....no ducks were harmed.
Learned to not do that.
Then I lost the duck calls...lol
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:43 am

I just hope I can hit something with it! Hopefully a dove or two in the morning.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:29 am

Anotherone wrote:I just hope I can hit something with it! Hopefully a dove or two in the morning.

Did you friend kill ducks?
If so then the gun works.
I bet I can kill something with it.
(Time) :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:33 pm

He claims it shoots great, we’ll see soon.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:56 pm

Trigger is gold. The bird will fold.
Screenshot_20220902-155507_Chrome.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:43 pm

Trigger is gold. The bird will flare out of range.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:44 pm

Anotherone wrote:He claims it shoots great, we’ll see soon.

Do you know anybody that claims their gun doesn't shoot great when nobody is around? :?: :lol:

I went with this guy one time. I know him pretty well but we never hunted before. He always talked about how he didn't shoot hens and other such declarations of his higher moral standards and waterfowl prowess.

The day we went. He didn't pass on taking a crack at a hen :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even funnier is he actually gave a reason that I don't remember, but it cracked me up that he went so far as to give a BS excuse so I guess I wouldn't rat him out as a hen shooter.

What's even funnier is that it was one of the few days where I didn't shoot at hens. We had so much action that the three of us should have put a dozen greenheads down without question. We ended with 8 greenheads, the one hen he shot, and a bonus black duck I noticed among small group of mallards. We should have had a lot more including a crippled hen he lost and embarrassing number of misses by all involved. Even my gun was not shooting great that day 8-)
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:29 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Do you know anybody that claims their gun doesn't shoot great when nobody is around? :?: :lol:

"It never did that before..."
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:22 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Do you know anybody that claims their gun doesn't shoot great when nobody is around? :?: :lol:

"It never did that before..."

They said "you should've been here yesterday" we sold lots of hunting licenses. I've heard that one before I said. On Wednesday it took them an hour to sell one. There was quite a line of pissed off farmers behind me. Wednesday was work on your tractor day. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:39 am

I'd be out scrounging for big cardboard boxes to shoot.
Picking a choke wasn't easy they all are pretty close to the same at 30 yards.
I guess if I were chasing long range I'd try 40.
By the time a duck is at 40 I already missed twice and will spend that third "hope and a prayer" shot.
I've killed a lot of birds on the third...usually a straight up shot.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Anotherone » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 am

The silver has the same barrel as my SX4, I may try my RR T3 at 40 yards just to see how it holds #2 steel together. For the woodies and hoodies in the swamp, #4 steel through any open choke will probably work. The misses are always my fault.
Anotherone

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:51 am

Anotherone wrote:The silver has the same barrel as my SX4, I may try my RR T3 at 40 yards just to see how it holds #2 steel together. For the woodies and hoodies in the swamp, #4 steel through any open choke will probably work. The misses are always my fault.

I've missed a few but what really stings is when you poof one, it stumbles in flight, recovers, then flies off.
I assume the steel went right thru that bird and it's dead just don't know it yet.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:41 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:I've missed a few but what really stings is when you poof one, it stumbles in flight, recovers, then flies off.
I assume the steel went right thru that bird and it's dead just don't know it yet.

I'm in a position to watch a lot of "poofs," and it's almost always a case of having hit the duster, instead of the handle.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:25 pm

Rick wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:I've missed a few but what really stings is when you poof one, it stumbles in flight, recovers, then flies off.

I'm in a position to watch a lot of "poofs," and it's almost always a case of having hit the duster, instead of the handle.

I suppose you could nick one and pull a lot of feathers.
I've gotten ducks with big scratch scars on them where someone else did it.
Have found other people's rusty old shot too.
They don't always just fall dead?
Ricky Spanish

Return to The Shotgun Forum