hunting wolf for the firts time

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

hunting wolf for the firts time

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 am

:popcorn:
In the dark and steady drizzle, we started to the "Front". A couple hours later we're putting on our camo and loading the guns, where heading on a Wolf hunt. The forecast was for 60 MPH+ winds and snow but what the heck we are on a wolf hunt.Boy am I glad the wind staid down for most of the day, the rain was enough to handle and the 33* didn't make it any better.We have never "hunted" wolf and I have never SEEN a wolf up were we where hunting but I Know there there so we pressed on. First stand this is the view as the sun came up.
We called there for about an hour . No elk,deer,or wolf.
The next two stands were blank too.
The forth was a little better,the rain let up and was kind of nice. We split up about 100 yards and where looking in different directions when I here My daughter in law work the action on here 243, a very distinctive sound. I froze and braced for the shot,and it came. The 243 report echoed in the calm mountain air like a canon. I swung my gun around hoping to see a pack of wolfs running in my direction,Nutten,WHAT?
I set very still not knowing the why for yet and about pucked with anticipation.
In what felt like and hour,5 minuets, she stands up and proclaimed "I got it" . What? where? was there more? I Need to know NOW!!!! I said in my head.
She slowly and calmly walked out 75 yards and hoisted this LARGE Beautiful-------Coyote,Humm.
I gave her a Big thumbs up and let out a big shiver, I just KNEW we had our first WOLF. I didn't want to let her see I was a little disappointed ,as she was just Beaming. We Never turn down a coyote and as it turned out she did the right thing . Her coyote was the only thing we saw that we could shot. and hay we will put it toward the four wheeler fund like all the other fur we get.
Now I know here we get a big jaded but the rest of the hunt all we ran across was sheep. I like looking at sheep but there just another sheep. Take a look at some of them ,great for viewing but no wolf.
As predicted about 2:00 the wind came up and it shut us down. We did some more scouting and found some other spots we will try next trip out.
:thumbsup: Going an a wolf hunt.
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: hunting wolf for the firts time

Postby Goldfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Kind of a cool story, but I have to be honest it was a little tough to read at times to figure out what your words were supposed to mean.

Congrats on getting your girl out though, and if she's happy with the yote, there is no reason that anyone shouldn't be.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Very cool story and pictures. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to visit that part of the country some day.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: hunting wolf for the first time

Postby Duplex Lover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Goldfish wrote:Kind of a cool story, but I have to be honest it was a little tough to read at times to figure out what your words were supposed to mean.Congrats on getting your girl out though, and if she's happy with the yote, there is no reason that anyone shouldn't be.

Sorry not a writer or typer...
She is one of us and hunt almost every week of the year. We get 60 to 80 coyotes a year and would be very surprised if she would have past or Missed. :scooter:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 pm

But why do you type so big!? Is it so your daughter-in-law with no eyes can see it?

Cool story and pictures.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Re: hunting wolf for the first time

Postby Duplex Lover » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am

3legged_lab wrote:But why do you type so big!? Is it so your daughter-in-law with no eyes can see it?.

:thumbsup:
Good thing she can shoot by sound Ha.
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby Goldfish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Duplex Lover wrote:Sorry not a writer or typer...
She is one of us and hunt almost every week of the year. We get 60 to 80 coyotes a year and would be very surprised if she would have past or Missed. :scooter: [/size]

Just don't take what I said as me saying we don't want to hear these stories. Love hearing everyones stories of getting out, especially the ones with the kiddos.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum