calling in -15* COLD!!!

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

calling in -15* COLD!!!

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 am

Yes thats -15* :scooter: :thumbsup:
AND a slight breeze out of the NE, It's all so good this time of year.

Like Normal on a day off the alarm goes off at 3:30 am and the wife poking me in the ribs, saying get up and turn that damn thing off.
On my days off I like to sleep in . My normal time is 2:00 ,bread man thing.
I crawl out of the sack and Head to the kitchen and looked at the mound of clothing I had set out the night before. Crap thats a lot of crap to carry around all day in the snow,BUT... It was going to be cold and I hate being cold sitting at a coyote set.But Back to the story. We drive out to our Honey hole area. It was a horrible storm the day before and it put down several inches of snow on a layer of ice so the trip was long. We get to our first spot and hustled to get on out gear and set off. SNOW god ,it makes for SO much more work. A half mile and I was huffing and hot but were settling in for the first call. A little howling then a pup getting its brains kicked out and Ta Da the first one shows. I couldn't get a shot but the boy had me covered . A blast from the CZ 223 and fur on the ground.Stuffed her in the drag bag and back to the truck for a quick skin job. Off to the next set. Lots of calling and lots of challenging back but no takers. the next two where the same, we'd call they'd call it killed a lot of the day.Then we had one come in to the next on and He popped up just behind me and stopped as he entered my sent zone but that was just long enough for by back up to swing in to position and drill him at 40 yards, he was under ten from me. Drug him out and on the skinning poll. The wind was shifting to the south west and that means WIND. We hurried to the next set and it turned out to be the last and the best. I was setting on one side of a nob looking in to the wind and sun, the boy was on the other and was a lot more cross wind almost looking down wind. We called for 15 minuets and almost gave up but WAY out on the horizon my boy saw some movement. He clicked the radio button and I froze not knowing where or what he saw. Ten minuets I hear his shot and a WAP, cool I'm starting to get ready to go over the hill and I hear a norther shot WAP, Humm he missed the first one ? I scramble over in hopes to get a shot but I didn't see any thing to shoot. What happened was, four dogs came in HOT and he popped the first one at 80 yards the others turned and split up and ran but the big Alfa male stopped at 250 yards and started to scold the fallen male ,just long enough for the second shot ,He had two more. Not a bad day 4 and I never fired a shot...
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: calling in -15* COLD!!!

Postby huntntech » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am

Another good hunt and nice pics! Always like your stories, Duplex! :thumbsup:
huntntech

Postby assateague » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Those are some nice looking yotes. The ones we get around here are more brown, not nearly as nice looking.
assateague

Postby BrewGUN » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 am

I got the itch to kill some of them now! Im plannin on hunting them on a friends farm this year as they seem to have run all the deer out, every deer trail i came across was covered in yote tracks :(
BrewGUN

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum