22/250 coyote story

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

22/250 coyote story

Postby Duplex Lover » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:28 pm

The first call of the day,very light wind and swirling around. That makes it very hard to set up in the right spots. We figured the wind would mostly be west something and set accordingly. We have voice activated 2ways so we tend to split up quite a ways. I'm two ridges to the east of the call and the boy is on the next ridge to the west looking down a BIG drainage with very short grass and a brushy stream bed in the bottom. The creek was probable 1/2 mile to the south of us and we where about 250 yards apart. The wind behaved OK for most of the set kind of cross wind. My boy was on a coyote sound kick as of late so he started with a Female invite then rushed in to a Pup in distress. About 5 minuets two coyotes just appeared 100 yards in front of him on a full out charge. Meanwhile , When I set down I said to my self bummer if a coyote come up the hill directly in front of me I wouldn't see it. And you know what I was absolutely right.My boy whispered something in my ear bud what he said I have no idea but very shortly His 223 sounded off and I could hear the tel tail THUD! I whirled around as fast as an old fat guy can and my scope settled right on a fleeing dog.Crap a runaway.I squeezed the trigger as the cross hairs pasted his shoulder. IN the scope I could see coyote doing several cartwheels and stop. WOW 250 yards on a coyote with his afterburners on, and only on 4 power COOL!. We called some more before getting up to collect the animals. I was unaware there was TWO on the ground. The monster male I shot had come in SO fast the boy had to shoot the female I didn't see and the male had come with in 50 yards of me and I didn't see him till he was over the next ridge. THATS why we split up and always try to have a second shooter. I'm willing to bet most callers including us never see a large part of the coyotes they call, there DAMN good at there job.They can come across one inch grass on a billiard table flats and not be seen!When we skinned him out we could see the entrance hole just behind the left shoulder and it traveled up his neck and lodged someplace in his head,DEAD coyote.On a side note he had NO fat on his body, in the middle of December and no fat is not what we have been seeing. The female was as fat as a pig and plenty of fat under the skin. The teeth looked good and no broken jaw and anything we could see. We sliced him open and looked at the stomach content. He had just feed on a deer he was stuffed with skin and hair, don't know what that was about... Maybe he thought he could just take every one else's food if he got hungry. BIG DOG! :thumbsup:

Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: 22/250 coyote story

Postby Olly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to all your stories.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Re: 22/250 coyote story

Postby Tomkat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:08 am

I called for a few years with out binos. When I started to use them, I was amazed at how many I started seeing....and most of them were coyotes I never saw with my eyes. Most of the ones I see in my binos are leaving more often than coming in. Its part of the game.

If you are new to calling and are getting frustrated, rest assured that you are getting some looks, you are just not quite sealing the deal.
Tomkat

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum