This forum needs some loving too!

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

This forum needs some loving too!

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Does nobody else love turkey hunting almost as much as duck and goose hunting?

It's the next big thing I am really looking forward to. A lot of people get that big adrenaline rush from killing a deer, but I get the jitters whenever I know I'm about to bag a tom. The only downside for me is that I'm only allowed 2 in the spring, but I get the same shakes when I bring someone out to get one. I think last year I got 5 or 6 people their tags filled off of one property. In fact, I didn't even take the biggest bird on the property.

Anyone else ready for May?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Re: This forum needs some loving too!

Postby huntntech » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm right there with you Eric. I'm ready for some turkey hunting!
huntntech

Postby Bad17 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Never been. Always wanted to go.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Bad17 wrote:Never been. Always wanted to go.

It's addicting. It's one of those deals where if you know where the birds are, you can look like a pro at bagging turkeys. I'm trying to not get excited like I usually do and pop the first tom of the year, but come opening day, I'm taking the biggest one I see that day.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bad17 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Awesome
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

It's addicting. It's one of those deals where if you know where the birds are, you can look like a pro at bagging turkeys. I'm trying to not get excited like I usually do and pop the first tom of the year, but come opening day, I'm taking the biggest one I see that day.

Fuck coming down here in fall, get your ass here this spring to chase some crazy rios! Big easterns too, but you can shoot them in NY.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Held out for this dude last year. Almost a week into the season.

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Fuck coming down here in fall, get your ass here this spring to chase some crazy rios! Big easterns too, but you can shoot them in NY.

If I'm going down there, it will be for duck/goose/upland. Most bang for the buck. I will be too busy here this spring chasing turkeys and walleye.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Held out for this dude last year. Almost a week into the season.

Nice bird. All we have is easterns. I would love to shoot me a Merriams myself.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Held out for this dude last year. Almost a week into the season.

Nice bird. All we have is easterns. I would love to shoot me a Merriams myself.

One of my places has a few Merriam/ Rio hybrids, have seen a few during the fall, hope to find one this spring. Hard to beat chasibg rios in wide open spaces, hiding in canyons and behind yuccas.

Last edited by jarbo03 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Turkey hunting isnt on top of my list, but i love hunting those big toms. we only get 1 bird in the bpring so its usually only a 1 or 2 weekend deal.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:27 pm

I like turkey hunting. I am normally good with shooting one and calling it a season
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Tomkat wrote:I like turkey hunting. I am normally good with shooting one and calling it a season

You get any on your property? I would have a tough time not breaking the law if I lived out in the country over here.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Turkeys are my #2 favorite behind ducks.

And for that matter, it's all about fooling 'em...I'll call for 4-6 guys and a couple kids every spring, anything to extend my enjoyment.

I killed 2 in MO last year and 1 in MI, this year I'm heading to MT. Already have the plane tix bought!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359588505.165547.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359588521.288660.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359588534.647867.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359588554.636038.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359588623.913297.jpg
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Turkeys are my #2 favorite behind ducks.

And for that matter, it's all about fooling 'em...I'll call for 4-6 guys and a couple kids every spring, anything to extend my enjoyment.

I killed 2 in MO last year and 1 in MI, this year I'm heading to MT. Already have the plane tix bought!!

Those are some nice spurs. 1 1/4?

I've never had luck getting big spurs with a big beard...or vice versa. Always shoot big birds, but usually has one or the other. Last year I shot a double beard..one 11 and one 6...but only had 1" spurs. Couple years before that I got 1 5/8 spurs...but only 8" beard. Can't win.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Thats some BA facepaint you got going there Dan.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:35 pm

In the end, I will take the big spurs any day. Better judgement of the age of the bird, but it sure would be nice to just get a nice overall trophy.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:Turkeys are my #2 favorite behind ducks.

Those are some nice spurs. 1 1/4?

I've never had luck getting big spurs with a big beard...or vice versa. Always shoot big birds, but usually has one or the other. Last year I shot a double beard..one 11 and one 6...but only had 1" spurs. Couple years before that I got 1 5/8 spurs...but only 8" beard. Can't win.

I normally shoot a big eadterb, but I hunt rios knowing they won't be impressive. Biggest I have seen on my land in SW KS was 19 lbs, 9 5" beard and 1" spurs, he was the boss. Wouldn't pull the trigger on him around home. I have followed those canyon birds over 7 miles in one day.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Where you going in MT Dan? Saw a tin of birds while there last fall, my uncle wants to take me hunting in the Snowy Mtns.

TAZ 2014-15 birds

jarbo03

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 pm

If I remember right those were right at an 1 3/8"...called one in for my buddies GF that was a hair over 1.75...that thing was a bad mother.

Going to MT in mid-late may...actually swapping a turkey hunt with a guy from DHC. He's coming to MI in Nov and I'm gonna get him on some squaw.

As far as the face paint...I hate face masks when it's warm. I actually had turkeys less than 3' from me while I was sitting on the ground with no blind, completely oblivious to my presence.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:09 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:If I remember right those were right at an 1 3/8"...called one in for my buddies GF that was a hair over 1.75...that thing was a bad mother.

Going to MT in mid-late may...actually swapping a turkey hunt with a guy from DHC. He's coming to MI in Nov and I'm gonna get him on some squaw.

As far as the face paint...I hate face masks when it's warm. I actually had turkeys less than 3' from me while I was sitting on the ground with no blind, completely oblivious to my presence.

I hunt the same way, but i use a face net over face paint. Here is a hen 5 ft from me this year while i was sitting against a tree.
Looks farther than 5, just my crappy cell camera. The old boy in the background got it a few minutes later after about 20 jakes came in and kept the other big boys from coming to play.
Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:19 pm

The only way to hunt!!

We'll usually let the kids whack their first one out of the blind, then they move up to the big leagues and learn to hunt.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

I love love love turkey hunting. I can't wait for spring. We are getting a 3 week season again this year. Only allowed 2 though. 1 the first week and 1 the second or third week or if you don't get 1 in the first week, you can get 2 the second and third week. Got some access to a couple farms this year too. Can't wait. I'm going to try to get one with a shotgun first and the second one will be with my bow.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:06 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I love love love turkey hunting. I can't wait for spring. We are getting a 3 week season again this year. Only allowed 2 though. 1 the first week and 1 the second or third week or if you don't get 1 in the first week, you can get 2 the second and third week. Got some access to a couple farms this year too. Can't wait. I'm going to try to get one with a shotgun first and the second one will be with my bow.

That's weird how they do your season. Ours is always the whole month of May. Has to have a beard and you can only shoot one per day. This year I am going to try and remember binocs. Going spur hunting this year, fuck the beards.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I love love love turkey hunting. I can't wait for spring. We are getting a 3 week season again this year. Only allowed 2 though. 1 the first week and 1 the second or third week or if you don't get 1 in the first week, you can get 2 the second and third week. Got some access to a couple farms this year too. Can't wait. I'm going to try to get one with a shotgun first and the second one will be with my bow.

That's weird how they do your season. Ours is always the whole month of May. Has to have a beard and you can only shoot one per day. This year I am going to try and remember binocs. Going spur hunting this year, fuck the beards.

Yeah it is weird here. But the whole month of October is fall turkey season. I think they work it like doe season and you can get one a day, just have to buy a tag every time. But its a totally different style of hunting and its alot harder.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:35 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Yeah it is weird here. But the whole month of October is fall turkey season. I think they work it like doe season and you can get one a day, just have to buy a tag every time. But its a totally different style of hunting and its alot harder.

October is our fall season and you can take 2 in a day of either sex. Its not really harder, they just dont respond to a call. What I do here is drive until I find a good sized group on one of the properties then stalk them until about 100 yards away. After that just run as hard as you can at them and get them to scatter. Just sit in that sopt and they will most likely come back to you. Supposedly people use dogs for it, but Ive never seen it done.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby reeltime » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I can not wait for spring gobbler season! I am just glad duck season isn't in during May because it would be a tough choice on which to hunt.

Will certainly be in Pa for the opener there and then back here to NY for the first. I am debating on going to Florida in March, one of my construction customers here bought a place down there and wants a new roof put on. He asked me to come down to do the roof for him,,, A friend of his has 1800 acres down there with osceola's so my wheels are a churning!!
reeltime

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Just bought some new decoys and a couple diaphragm calls. Pumped up for May.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 pm

I like backscratchers too!
spur.jpg
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:I like backscratchers too!
spur.jpg

Niiiiiiiiice.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum