Trapping?

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Trapping?

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Just wondering what folks thought about these sets. I'm excited to see what comes of them. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
quackhead

Re: Trapping?

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:08 pm

It all looks very sneaky and well placed :thumbsup:
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:10 pm

popping in a few twigs around the economy beers to break up the squared off look they have awesome. I cant even see the first one. :beer:
Last edited by Mornin Beef on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Nice, I usually brush around em heavy so it forces them through the hole.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Nice, I usually brush around em heavy so it forces them through the hole.

This message is Warlock approved :thumbsup:
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Nice, I usually brush around em heavy so it forces them through the hole.

I was thinking on the slide that less would look better. Not sure how smart beaver are but it was wide open snow and he's been there before. Also it was real steep to each side of the slide.
quackhead

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:52 pm

quackhead wrote:

I was thinking on the slide that less would look better. Not sure how smart beaver are but it was wide open snow and he's been there before. Also it was real steep to each side of the slide.

If its used all the time it may not matter. I like to brush em heavy so they have no choice but to take the route to the trap and cover up my scent a little better.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Looks good. I still can't see the first trap. Just be careful with the ones buried in the snow like that. If it melts a little then refreezes they might not go off. Not much of a trapper though so this could be all wrong. :lol::lol:

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 pm

It would be cool to spray paint them white maybe instead of adding twigs.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:56 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
quackhead wrote:

If its used all the time it may not matter. I like to brush em heavy so they have no choice but to take the route to the trap and cover up my scent a little better.

Do u think a number 2 victor longspring is big enough for beaver. There is another spot that is all slicked up mud that I would like to put a drowning set in. The white paint may be a gd idea
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:00 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Looks good. I still can't see the first trap. Just be careful with the ones buried in the snow like that. If it melts a little then refreezes they might not go off. Not much of a trapper though so this could be all wrong. :lol::lol:

The first picture is where the beaver is eating the willows. No trap there cause he should be dead before he gets there
quackhead

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm

quackhead wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
quackhead wrote:

Do u think a number 2 victor longspring is big enough for beaver. There is another spot that is all slicked up mud that I would like to put a drowning set in. The white paint may be a gd idea

Depends on how big the beaver is, spray painting it white won't matter, it will add the unnatural scent of paint to your set.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:03 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
quackhead wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
quackhead wrote:

Depends on how big the beaver is, spray painting it white won't matter, it will add the unnatural scent of paint to your set.

Not if you mop it down with castor gland or carrot juice.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm

I would say no in the #2. Maybe with a drowning set he would expire before he pulled out. Beaver have some big ass back feet. I wouldn't use anything less than a 3.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I would say no in the #2. Maybe with a drowning set he would expire before he pulled out. Beaver have some big ass back feet. I wouldn't use anything less than a 3.

I have caught them in #2's that were set for nutria but they were smaller beaver and I've had big ones pull out, I'd imagine they are bigger up north than they are here in La. I use #3 or 4's for them when I intentially trap them.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I would say no in the #2. Maybe with a drowning set he would expire before he pulled out. Beaver have some big ass back feet. I wouldn't use anything less than a 3.

Thanks I had no idea how big their feet are. Just figured if it could hold a yote then it would hold a beaver, guess it shows I'm a rookie lol
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:28 pm

What are some favorite lures for river trapping?
quackhead

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

I have caught them in #2's that were set for nutria but they were smaller beaver and I've had big ones pull out, I'd imagine they are bigger up north than they are here in La. I use #3 or 4's for them when I intentially trap them.

I've only caught a handful of beavers up here but only one was under 40lbs and 3 were over 50lbs.
Their back feet are almost as big as my hand.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm

quackhead wrote:What are some favorite lures for river trapping?

Running water by aqua velvet
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby assateague » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Fresh cut poplar branches for beaver. To me (and I'm no expert), those 330s look like they might be a little low. Looks like the trigger is almost on the ground. But like I said, I really don't know- here, 330s (or 220s for that matter) have to be in the water.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 pm

assateague wrote:here, 330s (or 220s for that matter) have to be in the water.

same here...Or in an elevated bucket set. Unless your on private property then anything goes.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 pm

assateague wrote:

Fresh cut poplar branches for beaver. To me (and I'm no expert), those 330s look like they might be a little low. Looks like the trigger is almost on the ground. But like I said, I really don't know- here, 330s (or 220s for that matter) have to be in the water.

They are sunk a bit hard not to with the snow, I think I might cut some plywood to use for a base. I think with more surface area it will stay better and wont heat up from sun and melt snow. Over here I hear aspen is real gd also
quackhead

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:15 pm

quackhead wrote:
assateague wrote:

They are sunk a bit hard not to with the snow, I think I might cut some plywood to use for a base. I think with more surface area it will stay better and wont heat up from sun and melt snow. Over here I hear aspen is real gd also

poplar and aspen are basically one in same.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
quackhead wrote:
assateague wrote:

they are the same aren't they??

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Mornin Beef wrote:
quackhead wrote:
assateague wrote:

That I would have to disagree with. Aspen is much more white and can be used as aspirin in a pinch in woods
quackhead

Postby Mornin Beef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 pm

quackhead wrote:
Mornin Beef wrote:
quackhead wrote:
assateague wrote:

That I would have to disagree with. Aspen is much more white and can be used as aspirin in a pinch in woods

No that willow. salicylclic acid (er spelling) is found within willow bark in much greater quantities. Hence the genus Salix.
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Does anyone know if rats can smell under water? I heard a piece of apple on the trigger of a conibear in the water On a stick works. Just got #1 ls and have 3 1.5 Bridget coils coming. Hoping drowning sets will give me more success. In a week I haven't caught any in conibears.
quackhead

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm

quackhead wrote:Does anyone know if rats can smell under water? I heard a piece of apple on the trigger of a conibear in the water On a stick works. Just got #1 ls and have 3 1.5 Bridget coils coming. Hoping drowning sets will give me more success. In a week I haven't caught any in conibears.

What kind of water, creek, swamp, slough, are there obvious paths in grass or reeds, can you see the dens are they huts or holes in the bank, are there culverts etc.?
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
quackhead wrote:Does anyone know if rats can smell under water? I heard a piece of apple on the trigger of a conibear in the water On a stick works. Just got #1 ls and have 3 1.5 Bridget coils coming. Hoping drowning sets will give me more success. In a week I haven't caught any in conibears.

What kind of water, creek, swamp, slough, are there obvious paths in grass or reeds, can you see the dens are they huts or holes in the bank, are there culverts etc.?

Mainly a small slough, but some river and some shallow ponds. I believe there are holes not dens but unsure since I have not been there without 3 ft of snow. There is some spots where it looks like they get out and eat on bank and some spots where they look like they are running on top of ice.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:59 pm

You can kick in your own slide, also, which will draw their attention, wondering who just moved into the neighborhood.
assateague

Next

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum