Trapping?

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Re: Trapping?

Postby quackhead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 pm

assateague wrote:You can kick in your own slide, also, which will draw their attention, wondering who just moved into the neighborhood.

That sounds like a gd idea. There is a pretty fresh (castor mound?) pile of mud splashed on the bank with more willows ate that looks like a great drowning set location.
quackhead

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:08 pm

I've caught a few with the 330s by putting it on the down side of their slide. Put it so the top is level/slightly above the water and pile a little brush around the edges of the trap and lay a big stick across the top. They seem to funnel right into.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:14 pm

quackhead wrote:
MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
quackhead wrote:Does anyone know if rats can smell under water? I heard a piece of apple on the trigger of a conibear in the water On a stick works. Just got #1 ls and have 3 1.5 Bridget coils coming. Hoping drowning sets will give me more success. In a week I haven't caught any in conibears.

What kind of water, creek, swamp, slough, are there obvious paths in grass or reeds, can you see the dens are they huts or holes in the bank, are there culverts etc.?

Mainly a small slough, but some river and some shallow ponds. I believe there are holes not dens but unsure since I have not been there without 3 ft of snow. There is some spots where it looks like they get out and eat on bank and some spots where they look like they are running on top of ice.

In a slough, look for huts. Around the bottom of those huts are entrances. Find the runs to those entrances. These will be about 4 inches wide and a conibear fits well. Use sticks to force the rats through the trap. Colony traps also work well here. In flooded areas look for the same type of a trail and use the same type of set. Funnel the rats to the trap. If there are road culverts this is also a real good place to set connibears.
In ponds look for holes under water into the bank and set connibears in a similar matter. THey may come up the bank and make a slide like assa said. THese slides are also good places for the same set. If the water is not too deep you can get into it a little, make a stake out of a piece of 2x2 and nail a small board on it about 5inches wide and 10 inches long, put two nails sticking out on it, one for a 1longspring and the other for a piece of apple. shove the stake in the water, leaving the board about halfway out with the trap under the water, the rat will come up to get the apple and step in the trap, make sure trap chain is secure to stake with another bent nail.
If you are around water there are probably mink and coons. Set a trap with a piece of fish or sardine on and around the huts and banks.
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Floating set doesn't take much and can be used about anywhere
float_set.jpg

This is kind of what I meant except use a stake and the board just makes it easier and quicker to set.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby bill herian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm

Popel and aspen are the same thing. In North America we have, predominantly, Populous tremuloidies (Quaking aspen, popel, trembling aspen) and Populous gradedentadas (Big tooth aspen). Don't know much about them, other than they are shade intolerant, disturbance loving species and not worth the diesel it costs to pull them out of the woods. The Quaking Aspen have flattened petioles, though. That I know. That's why their leaves make a distinctive sound when the wind blows through them.

Thats all you get for free. I paid three thousand bucks to learn that.
bill herian

Postby assateague » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 am

:lol:

Make sure you're allowed to trap dens before you do anything, though. Some states have distance regs regarding dens.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 am

assateague wrote::lol:

Make sure you're allowed to trap dens before you do anything, though. Some states have distance regs regarding dens.

Yeah, check into it. Allegedly

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 am

Has anyone ever used a drag on a foothold?
Tomkat

Postby JustinNH » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 am

assateague wrote:You can kick in your own slide, also, which will draw their attention, wondering who just moved into the neighborhood.

yup, that works! :thumbsup:
Also makes it so that you can put them in easier to get to spots.

One spot my buddy and I had... beavers were extremely territorial. I set one foothold by a castor mound I made and I had only made it as far as 10 yards before he was in the trap. Can't get easier than that unless he just voluntarily followed me back to the truck.
JustinNH

Postby assateague » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Tomkat wrote:Has anyone ever used a drag on a foothold?

Used a couple very briefly, in a pine forest where the needles and loam were not good for pounding in an anchor stake. Had a piece of rebar bent into a grappling hook. Caught a coon, and he made it almost 150 yards before getting hung up. They suck. If I'm in a situation where the ground isn't good for an anchor stake, I will use an anchor cable. I've got some 6' long. If I can't find a tree to anchor it to within that distance, I don't need to be in that exact spot. Too much can go wrong with drags, and it makes recovery slow. I don't have that kind of time to try and track animals through the woods in the dark before having to make it to work by 8:30.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Only rules in Wyoming are no drags and 295lb breakaways
quackhead

Postby assateague » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Like I told Brew, you may want to add a spring on the breakaways, to keep them from breaking away. A big yote will get out, and remember they jump straight up. Foxes and coons lunge sideways, but coyotes go straight up, which makes the breakaways (and anchor stakes) come out easier. Although I haven't caught any yotes, I double stake most of my sets which aren't in the woods, just in case.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:35 pm

assateague wrote:Like I told Brew, you may want to add a spring on the breakaways, to keep them from breaking away. A big yote will get out, and remember they jump straight up. Foxes and coons lunge sideways, but coyotes go straight up, which makes the breakaways (and anchor stakes) come out easier. Although I haven't caught any yotes, I double stake most of my sets which aren't in the woods, just in case.

Will keep in mind. I have a dozen Dakota dispatch snares on there way
quackhead

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:05 pm

So I may have a few questions for some of you in the near future. The muskrats have been wreaking havoc on the roads/levees at my buddies club, I may or may not have just ordered a dozen conibear 110's off ebay, $49.95 free shipping, allegedly. I told him I would help out "fixing the road issue", allegedly of course.
So would a guy just set these up at the entrance to their tunnels? I may also make one of the colony traps assa told me about.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 am

assateague wrote:Like I told Brew, you may want to add a spring on the breakaways, to keep them from breaking away. A big yote will get out, and remember they jump straight up. Foxes and coons lunge sideways, but coyotes go straight up, which makes the breakaways (and anchor stakes) come out easier. Although I haven't caught any yotes, I double stake most of my sets which aren't in the woods, just in case.

NExt year all my snares are getting revamped like this. I dont have to worry about them pulling the stakes out, since i dont use them and just loop the snare around a 1" sapling or so. I had one coyote that was all fired up when I approached, that thing was going every which direction a million miles an hour!
BrewGUN

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 am

quackhead wrote:Only rules in Wyoming are no drags and 295lb breakaways

We required to have 285# breakaways here in MI, who the F decides on those exact numbers? If I didnt have to use the breakaways and damn deer stops, I would have prob another 4 coyotes this year :evil:
BrewGUN

Postby Tomkat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:42 am

So yea or nay on the drag on a foothold for coyotes?
Tomkat

Postby BrewGUN » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 am

Tomkat wrote:So yea or nay on the drag on a foothold for coyotes?

I wouldn't, coyotes are strong and bounce around a lot, I think you could end up tracking them a half Nile or more before you'd catch up. Anchor or secure it somehow.
BrewGUN

Postby assateague » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 am

BrewGUN wrote:
Tomkat wrote:So yea or nay on the drag on a foothold for coyotes?

I wouldn't, coyotes are strong and bounce around a lot, I think you could end up tracking them a half Nile or more before you'd catch up. Anchor or secure it somehow.

X2
assateague

Postby quackhead » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 pm

I finally got my first rat. I got it in a conibear on a beaver dam where the water spills over
Last edited by quackhead on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quackhead

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 pm

quackhead wrote:I finally got my first rat. I got it in a conibear on a beaver dam where the water spills over

Congrats!! Just about paid for a trap already.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 pm

quackhead wrote:I finally got my first rat. I got it in a conibear on a beaver dam where the water spills over

Good deal!
trap.jpg

Spoken to 3Leg
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby assateague » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Nice!
assateague

Postby Mornin Beef » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Wow! Large charge game :thumbsup:
Carp
Mornin Beef

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Well, there's your start. :thumbsup:
QH's Paw

Postby quackhead » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 pm

QH's Paw wrote:Well, there's your start. :thumbsup:

Yup. And there was one swimming so I got at least one more to catch!
quackhead

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Any sign of the beav?
QH's Paw

Postby quackhead » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:24 pm

QH's Paw wrote:Any sign of the beav?

Negative. Maybe held up by snow storm
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Had a great day on the trap line with my beautiful wife and son.
quackhead

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Cool! Looks like the boy is diggin it too! Now we have to work on the photo embedding skills :thumbsup:

Spoken to 3Leg
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

PreviousNext

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum