Coyotes

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Coyotes

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:33 am

Need some advice.
Ive got some coyotes out here on the golf course that the members want taken care of.mostly out of fear for their pets.
The one i keep seeing in the daylight is the size of a german sheperd i mean hes a real beast.
Ive never hunted coyotes before, whats the best way to do it?
Its better at night right? (the assistant pro here has a predator call but he doesnt know anything about it he just bought it bc it was cheap and has a built in crow call.)
should i use a light? put a climber up in a tree or hunt em from the ground?
i have no idea where to begin.
FlintRiverFowler

Coyotes

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 am

Pm tomkat.
Westie25

Re: Coyotes

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Its against the law to hunt them at night in Kansas, so I have never done it. But I have shot them at 6,7,8,9,10, and 11 AM. And 1,2,4,5,6 PM.
Three o clock seems to be a nap time, or at least I have never seen one then. Daybreak is when I have had my best hunts. I normally set up in the pitch black and wait for sunrise, but I am an obsessed crazy dog killer, its not necessary to go that early (but it works!)

First off, you want to start trying to pattern your coyotes. Where do they travel thru their territory? A game cam is great because it gives you the time they are active.

So watch your coyotes, and figure out where they are traveling and where they sleep at night. Right now they are especially active as they have young pups to feed. This is the time of year pets start dissapearing, I have lost 3 cats this summer. Any how, you want to remember that coyotes have very good noses, they always will circle down wind because they smell things better than they see things.

Get you a hand call that imitates a dieing rabbit, or an electronic caller. Get camoflaged, and pick a stand where you are well hidden. In a big thick bush is not a bad place. Go out about 40 mins before dark (or sunrise) and set up. I think a shotgun with #4 Buckshot would work very well on a golf course. If you sit still and remain hidden, they will come up to 20-30 yards of you.

I have a lot of information on my blog and web site about coyote hunting. You may want to look at that or join the forum discussions to learn the finer points. What I have described here is a brief overview.

Its not easy! And its not a sport for quitters.

Good luck and show me a picture.
Tomkat

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Settin up a trail cam monday when i get back from vacation. pics to follow. (hopefully)
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Tomkat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:42 am

Be careful about leaving your scent behind.
Tomkat

Coyotes

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:34 pm

They should be way more used to it than the dogs you hunt. Sort of like farm deer and a combine vs Saskatchewan north woods deer.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 pm

every coyote I've ever shot has been in the dark.
duckkillerclyde

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:59 pm

I've never shot one, but they are open here year round, with spotlighting allowed March through October (or something close to that). Always wanted to spotlight for yotes, but would more than likely be too tempted to drop the hammer on something "else" which is very common around here.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:46 pm

in OR, no season no licence no restrictions. They are not a game animal and are not protected in any way shape or form. You can shoot them with what you want when you want. I suppose you could even kill them with you hands if you wanted to.
duckkillerclyde

Postby hunter1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:27 pm

I agree. Be sure to hide your scent as best you can. I use HEVIShot Dead Coyote and have killed them out to 70 yards. If hunting with a shotgun, spend the extra money on Dead Coyote. Hate to see the dogs run off injured.
hunter1

Postby huntfishnv » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Did you ever get it?
huntfishnv

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum