My haul from this weekend. Including my 5 point buck!

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Re: My haul from this weekend. Including my 5 point buck!

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:04 am

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
jehler wrote:Lmao "5 point"!

He said that just for you.
whatever tripod, that's a 2x2 unless you count that little point in the left

Morning john! I am in the duck blind, how is work?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 am

3legged_lab wrote:
jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

dont make me blow off the office today dammit, I NEED I get these bids done!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:21 am

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

dont make me blow off the office today dammit, I NEED I get these bids done!

Hate doing bids, I'd rather be the guy getting dirty and getting the work done.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:40 am

3legged_lab wrote:Hate doing bids, I'd rather be the guy getting dirty and getting the work done.

meh, I have done so many recently I don't hardly have to lift the phone, still, I fuck off on here half the day and drag it out when i could be out hunting
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 am

jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Honestly John, I can't see the third point but, I know my son knows what a point is by legal definition and by accepted scoring for the books(1" from the bisection of beam to tip of point). I'll look at the rack when I get there in 2 weeks to hunt elk.
Here, in Oregon, iot' is usually consider a point if a ring can be hung from it but, that isn't the legal definition. Part of that comes from the fact the the westside of the state is predominantly blacktail hunting and they just don't pump out the kind of trophies that whitetail and mulies do.
QH's Paw

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:01 am

QH's Paw wrote:
jehler wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Honestly John, I can't see the third point but, I know my son knows what a point is by legal definition and by accepted scoring for the books(1" from the bisection of beam to tip of point). I'll look at the rack when I get there in 2 weeks to hunt elk.
Here, in Oregon, iot' is usually consider a point if a ring can be hung from it but, that isn't the legal definition. Part of that comes from the fact the the westside of the state is predominantly blacktail hunting and they just don't pump out the kind of trophies that whitetail and mulies do.

oh I can see the point, it looks a little shorter than what it probably is because of the angle but I'm sure its legit, I'm just stirring the pot :beer:
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:02 am

with michigans new point restricftions I'll probably be counting the bumpds on the base of the antlers...I mean horns ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 am

jehler wrote:with michigans new point restricftions I'll probably be counting the bumpds on the base of the antlers...I mean horns ;)

They're antlers dammit! Antlers are shed off periodically, horns are a continual growth.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 am

jehler wrote:with michigans new point restricftions I'll probably be counting the bumpds on the base of the antlers...I mean horns ;)

Antler restrictions are fucking stupid.
assateague

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 am

And I mean, fucking STUPID.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 am

assateague wrote:And I mean, fucking STUPID.

Yes they are. I don't give a fuck how big the state wants the average buck's antlers to be. I just want to eat some damn venison. Fuck them stupid sumbitches that came up with all that shit.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:16 am

Exactly. And it really can't help. And here's the Assatheory why:

There are two "schools" of thought regarding antlers, and I've never heard either proved conclusively.

1. Diet
2. Genetics

Yes, it's possible to say that there is a combination of both, but I discount that, because then you just get a mish-mosh of avergeness, and really no "theory" at all. Because if it's a combination of both, then it goes both ways, and there's no sense even having such a theory which proves nothing, regardless of the outcome.

So, that being said. If it's #1 (diet), then killing 6 points and up means nothing, relating to age, continued health, or anything else. It just means that at the right time during that year, the buck ate well, and had plenty of what he needed. And the last time I checked, antler restrictions don't impact the weather or what grows out of the ground and when. So just because they "allow" shooting what appear to be strong deer, it really may be nothing of the sort, just a good spring crop, and a heavy acorn fall the previous year or some damn thing.

If it's #2 (genetics), then mandating that 6 and up only be killed only hurts the gene pool, by allowing a bunch of shitbagged 4 1/2 year old spindly 4 point bucks to breed, and further propagate the mess. If they TRULY wanted to do "something" for the "trophied" folks, they would prohibit shooting anything OVER, say, 4 points for a few years running. But we all know the effect that would have on hunting, when everybody started raising hell about only being allowed to shoot spikes and such :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:26 am

assateague wrote:

jgun is the goddammned nazi that pushed it into law!!!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 pm

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:

Damn right! Those who resist will be shot on site.

While I agree that some just want venison ....fine shoot a doe. A 2 year old doe is bigger than a 1 year old buck anyway. True you may see a drop in the harvest, for one year and this has been documented. Then guess what you meat hunters can shoot a buck that's 50lbs heavier than before. Hunters were surveyed before they implemented the point restrictions. 69% approved. In another local county this has already been implemented for something like five years now and the approval in that county is somewhere up around 85% now.
The point restrictions take care of the idiots with the mentality of if I don't shoot it my neighbor will.
JGUN

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:37 pm

But tell me how antler restrictions help the deer herd, as is the claim.
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm

JGUN wrote:
jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:

Damn right! Those who resist will be shot on site.

While I agree that some just want venison ....fine shoot a doe. A 2 year old doe is bigger than a 1 year old buck anyway. True you may see a drop in the harvest, for one year and this has been documented. Then guess what you meat hunters can shoot a buck that's 50lbs heavier than before. Hunters were surveyed before they implemented the point restrictions. 69% approved. In another local county this has already been implemented for something like five years now and the approval in that county is somewhere up around 85% now.
The point restrictions take care of the idiots with the mentality of if I don't shoot it my neighbor will.

Couldn't shoot does for the longest. Some kind of bullshit about there being a small pop. Only thing we could shoot was bucks that met the restrictions. Plus our food supply is dismal at best, so everything is basket bucks that didn't meet the requirements. It's bullshit. Our regs are controlled by the Feds since there is a huge national wildlife refuge in our county. The antler restrictions were put in place for sight seeing purposes only. They don't give two shits about the hunters.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:46 pm

I will agree that it's not the best tool out there but it's the best fool proof tool. The ideal restriction (as much as I don't like restrictions) would be to go by age but not everyone can age a deer on the hoof.
JGUN

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:51 pm

JGUN wrote:I will agree that it's not the best tool out there but it's the best fool proof tool. The ideal restriction (as much as I don't like restrictions) would be to go by age but not everyone can age a deer on the hoof.

What's y'all's restrictions? Surely you can't agree with the 13" rule I have to deal with.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:54 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
JGUN wrote:I will agree that it's not the best tool out there but it's the best fool proof tool. The ideal restriction (as much as I don't like restrictions) would be to go by age but not everyone can age a deer on the hoof.

What's y'all's restrictions? Surely you can't agree with the 13" rule I have to deal with.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Three points on one side at least 1" long for one buck and four points for a second buck. I wouldn't mind seeing just one buck per year. I think guys would be a lot more hesitant to shoot a small buck.
JGUN

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:21 pm

No. The ideal would be what I described- allow ONLY bucks 4 points or less to be shot. Do this for three or four years or so. But it'll never happen, because we all know that the antler restrictions aren't for the deer, they're for the hunters.
assateague

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:26 pm

assateague wrote:we all know that the antler restrictions aren't for the deer, they're for the hunters.

Yep you're right.
JGUN

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm

And quit acting like you really care about the deer herd. :lol:
JGUN

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Oh, hell no I don't :lol: :lol: :lol: I just wish more folks were a bit more honest with themselves! (not here, just life in general when speaking of antler restrictions)
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 pm

My guess is jgun is right - they want an older deer to be shot but trusting the average hunter to be able to age by looking at the body and head ain't gonna happen.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 pm

3legged_lab wrote:My guess is jgun is right - they want an older deer to be shot but trusting the average hunter to be able to age by looking at the body and head ain't gonna happen.

But, if they shoot only the big bucks, aren't they just giving the genetically "inferior" bucks a better chance at continuing their line. Kind of a double edged sword.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:My guess is jgun is right - they want an older deer to be shot but trusting the average hunter to be able to age by looking at the body and head ain't gonna happen.

But, if they shoot only the big bucks, aren't they just giving the genetically "inferior" bucks a better chance at continuing their line. Kind of a double edged sword.

I agree. Oregon has a zone that is a prime example. There is a highly applied for area well known for growing big muleys that had a "4 point or better" rule in effect for many years. After several years it got to where there were lots of BIG 3x3s spreading their genes, they were safe, and the 4x4s were almost nonexistent. Fish and game finally realized what they wers doing and changed the rule back.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 am

KS has only one buck a year, and rifle doesn't open until after the rut. Seems to be good for both deer and hunters.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:49 am

jarbo03 wrote:KS has only one buck a year, and rifle doesn't open until after the rut. Seems to be good for both deer and hunters.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Other than rifle season is during your favorite time of year, the freezing ass cold time.
Tomkat

Postby jehler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 am

3legged_lab wrote:My guess is jgun is right.

I don't know that I have ever heard these words spoken in that order before in my life?!?

Thy state don't give a shit, it's a bunch of dumb short penis rednecks that feel the need to compensate with deer antlers. They rallied together and created an issue and bamboozled the people the same way the Audubon society did when they voted away dove hunting. To think I'd see the day that hunters would vote away hunting liberties, mind blown, so fucking disgusted with the short sightedness. What's next, only turkeys with 6" beards?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby JGUN » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 am

Not a bad idea. I think I'll bring it up to the NRC.
JGUN

PreviousNext

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum