My trapping journal

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Re: My trapping journal

Postby AKPirate » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:26 pm

flight control wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
flight control wrote:Nicely done! Its always fun to get the family out in the woods like that. I remember when we were expecting our first daughter, I had her up to her knees in snow, eight months pregnant setting and checking rabbit snares.:grin: Those were good times.

Did your wife ever find out about your girlfriend?

We never got married. Before we knew it, we had two kids, a house to raise them in and not enough left over for a wedding. Just as well I guess, all the other couples we used to hang out with are divorced now.

:thumbsup:
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby quackhead » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:07 am

todays catch
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 am

What's the slot in the side of the box for?
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:32 am

assateague wrote:What's the slot in the side of the box for?

I don't know the terminology for all the parts of the trap but, if you go back to his original post on this thread and, look at the last picture. Blow it up and you'll see the handles of the trap sticking out the slots.
QH's Paw

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 am

Gotcha.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Yes, it is for the springs on the conibear
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, my boy and I went out and set 1 fox trap yesterday. I put it by a bunch of blue plastic 10plus inch pipes. There were some old pallets next to them. So I dug a hole under the corner of the pallet and dug a bed in front. The ground is frozen solid so this was quite a chore. I double staked with 2' rebar stakes then rapped my trap in a produce bag. I took what snow was available and dropped it from a few feet above the trap. This snow was very wet and the snow coming from the sky was almost rain. I threw some gusto down the hole and placed a touch on the corner of the pallet. I also laced little orchestra of grass around the trap.
I checked the trap tonight and no fox. However, I had fresh tracks all around and at least 3 times the fox set his paw on my pan. Problem was it was frozen solid. Damnit! Almost. Maybe I should go but some peat moss.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Definitely peat moss. The problem with using all peat moss (no dirt) is that it's hard to get the trap bedded worth a damn. It'll always be "spongy". You're just using snow to sift on top? That has to suck a lot.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:10 pm

assateague wrote:Definitely peat moss. The problem with using all peat moss (no dirt) is that it's hard to get the trap bedded worth a damn. It'll always be "spongy". You're just using snow to sift on top? That has to suck a lot.

Yep, I don't have any dry dirt. I was thinking about making a piece of plywood routered where the trap sits in it. This would give more surface area so no wobble. Not sure if anyone has tried it but it ses like it would help.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:11 pm

That's a pretty damn good idea, actually.
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 pm

You can use "regular" dirt on top, too. No need for dry dirt. Thought you were just using the snow for it to "blend in". If that's not an issue, just set it like normal, and sprinkle table salt in the bed and on the sifted dirt. That's what I use to keep it from forming a crust, or freezing the jaws to the ground if I don't have any peat moss. I keep a container of salt (whatever size they are- those big round cardboard cans) in my bag pretty much all winter. Makes the traps rust quicker than hell, but they get redone at the end of the season, anyway.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 pm

I was using the snow to cover the trap since there was no way in hell im breaking up the dirt and sifting it. It's rock hard and marshy dirt. I think I'll try some peat but not until weekend. I reset it the best I could since I didn't have any gear with me. I think it's not bedded good enough now and it's barely covered with a sprinkle of snow, so the fox is prob gonna hear the bag make noise. We'll see, even a blind squirrel finds a nut
quackhead

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:39 pm

hey quack, this may be a dumb question but how do you stake a ground set in heavy snow?
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby quackhead » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Right now I can still get to the ground. When there is to much snow then it's drags or tie off to a tree
quackhead

Postby assateague » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:58 pm

You use cables? I have to use them on all my sets in the woods, because there's no dirt, just fluffy loam and roots. I don't really like cabling to a tree, but it seems to work ok.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 pm

I only set in deep snow 1 time since last spring was my first at trapping. When I put in my set I just braided a few wires together and tied to big logs. Right now I've got 2 2'pieces of rebar holding my set.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 am

If you're sure it's a fox, that much rebar is sort of overkill. I only use 18" rebar, and only singles (although I have switched to cable stakes, because of the increased coyotes poking around). If you're getting a good grab in the dirt, one is plenty. Foxes will only pull sideways trying to get out, flat to the ground. They don't jump. I've had tons of catches, and when I got the fox out, the stake would pull out of the ground with two fingers from where he had loosened it by running and pulling in low circles.

That being said, I don't know the circumstances or ground where you're trapping, so by all means, do what you feel is necessary. But if I had to get 2 24" stakes out of the ground when it was time to move, I would have a bitch of a time.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:24 pm

It is fox. However there is potential for yote or cat. I it 1 2' stake in and pull it up no problem so I cross staked it and it's solid now. It's gonna suck to pull out since it's prob frozen in the ground now.
quackhead

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:11 pm

quackhead wrote:It is fox. However there is potential for yote or cat. I it 1 2' stake in and pull it up no problem so I cross staked it and it's solid now. It's gonna suck to pull out since it's prob frozen in the ground now.

Just ask yourself, "what would Assa do?". 50/50 he would piss on it. That's how he fixes most things and in this case a good option. :lol:
QH's Paw

Postby quackhead » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Checked 1 fox trap and 4 beaver traps tonight. The fox trap came 3 ft from snatching a dog. 2 beaver traps were froze in, 1 that was set under water was knocked over( didn't stabilize good enough) and the 4th had a green head in it. Not a great check and it was 0 degrees out to boot
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:51 am

Finally connected with my first fox. It was colder than shit! 4 deg with 20+ mph winds. I got him in a 1.75 with back breaker in my dirthole
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:56 am

That's awesome! Reset that thing, and if I were you, I'd add another within 5 yards. Reds almost always travel in pairs, so double sets are the way to go. And careful scraping it- they will tear like a motherfucker, in the armpits and at the bottom on the belly.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:04 am

I should've had another set cause there was definitely at least another one with it. Unfortunately I didn't the tools or time to reset hopefully I can later today. I'm at work now:( your dispatch method was very easy. They are delicate critters. Did you ever get a necker?
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:24 pm

No. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. Maybe next year.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Necker? That the skinning contraption?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:03 pm

It's a brand of fleshing knife. They're really nice, but high dollar, about $80 (mine now was $9). Honestly, I could probably make the $80 in increased prices for my coons if I caught enough, but I don't want to spend it.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:17 pm

If I get my fnt gift cards I'll be buying 1.
Here's a daytime pic of my fox and a pic of the remake.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 pm

That's a nice fox!
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:36 pm

assateague wrote:That's a nice fox!

Wasn't sure if it was very big or average or small. Never got one before. It's a 12lb female. I'm thinking of mounting or tanning it. (Taxidermy mount sickos)
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 am

That's a pretty decent female. Around here, a large male will go 15 pounds, and that's rare. Most all (females and males) are between 9-12, so that's definitely on the heavy side. Looks like she's hit nice color, too.
assateague

PreviousNext

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum