What to do if you do not have a retreiver?

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

What to do if you do not have a retreiver?

Postby Richard Federation » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:09 pm

What to do if you do not have a retriever? Please do not let the first response be get a retriever, not that I am apposed to one but just not now. I will be hunting rivers in mid to north GA from an 18 foot boat and from some large deep lakes. Is there any special tips or tricks you use if you do not have a proper dog? I do have a dog that I use squirrel hunting that is well trainable, she has webbed feet but a short coat but our water does not get that cold compared to our northern brothers.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Re: What to do if you do not have a retreiver?

Postby JGUN » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Fishing rod. The squirrel dog could be useful if you lose a bird on the bank though.
JGUN

Postby quackhead » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Don't hunt if you have a substantial amount of unwadable water where your hunting unless you have a boat,canoe,float tube or dog. You will lose too many cripples and even dead ducks. Find a different spot.
You may want to post this in a different part of forum to get more results
Good luck
quackhead

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Landing net.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Fishing rod with a big topwater.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby RonE » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:40 pm

String a net across the river down stream from where you are hunting.

Next question.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby assateague » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:41 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Fishing rod with a big topwater.

What pound test will he need to make sure Nuff Daddy doesn't fly off the line when he casts him?
assateague

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:44 pm

assateague wrote:

What pound test will he need to make sure Nuff Daddy doesn't fly off the line when he casts him?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Richard Federation » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:51 pm

I do have a float tube and canoe. My canoe is unstable and in the middle replacing it. I will be hunting out of an 18 foot bass tracker flat bottomed boat but to pull anchor and fire up the motor for every downed bird would be a mess.

I really like the idea of a top-water plug with rod and reel. I actually thought of that earlier today. That is the on I will be using for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Last edited by Richard Federation on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Richard Federation wrote:I do have a float tube and canoe. My canoe is unstable and in the middle replacing it. I will be fishing out of an 18 foot bass tracker flat bottomed boat but to pull anchor and fire up the motor for every downed bird would be a mess.

I really like the idea of a top-water plug with rod and reel. I actually thought of that earlier today. That is the on I will be using for now.

Only thing to worry about the fishing pole is that in some places you are prohibited from fishing while duck hunting so I have heard. Don't know if that is true or not but you might want to check your regs just in case. The guy who brought that up said that he used a cedar 2x2 about 4" long with homemade wire hooks on it.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Richard Federation » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 pm

I looked in our DNR regs and found nothing stating I can't so I will give it a shot.
Regards

Rick

Rick Federation
404-988-7460
Richard Federation

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:12 pm

assateague wrote:

Ha...Good one.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:13 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Richard Federation wrote:I do have a float tube and canoe. My canoe is unstable and in the middle replacing it. I will be fishing out of an 18 foot bass tracker flat bottomed boat but to pull anchor and fire up the motor for every downed bird would be a mess.

Only thing to worry about the fishing pole is that in some places you are prohibited from fishing while duck hunting so I have heard. Don't know if that is true or not but you might want to check your regs just in case. The guy who brought that up said that he used a cedar 2x2 about 4" long with homemade wire hooks on it.

Show me where these places are (DNR websites) . I can't imagine this to be true.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Show me where these places are (DNR websites) . I can't imagine this to be true.

Saw it on DHC boss not my experience. I have no idea where it would be but it.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:19 pm

assateague wrote:

Haha!
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum