Not a big haul, but....

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Re: Not a big haul, but....

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:09 am

Yes a 330 can crush bone!
quackhead

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:09 am

I did most of my practice on opossums
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:11 am

Was searching for cheap connibears on the internet and came across some pics of dogs that got in em, they were fucked up kinda sad really.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:12 am

assateague wrote:It's not hard to skin and flesh. You probably end up losing money by being too careful, and not fleshing and stretching enough. You'd be amazed at how much punishment most hides can take before anything bad happens to them. NAFA puts out some pretty good guidance on what they want, and they have a very good set of videos on how they recommend doing it. If you get to the point where you're interested, let me know, and I'll burn you a copy of the DVDs. It tells you all you want to know about caring for the hides. I only use up to #2 legholds, so there's not much danger there. Some pain, yeah, but not like if I was constantly setting 330s for beaver or something. Body grip traps scare me, honestly.

My number one goal is gonna be not to catch myself if I can help it. I am sure it will happen though sooner or later of I get into it. I think I have a lot more reading to do to even to begin to get a true understanding. Seems like there will be a lot of rules and regs as well that i need to figure out for my state. I've gathers from you guys that every state varies on sets etc
Weston81

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:13 am

rebelp74 wrote:Was searching for cheap connibears on the internet and came across some pics of dogs that got in em, they were **** up kinda sad really.

Yep, there will always be worse case pics that get dwelled on. Wether it's hunting fishing trapping or etc. that is how the anti's get outdoorsmen against each other.
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:14 am

What state are you in Weston?
quackhead

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:14 am

rebelp74 wrote:Was searching for cheap connibears on the internet and came across some pics of dogs that got in em, they were fucked up kinda sad really.

Just googled conibear trap to make sure it was whist I thought it was and the second pic was a dog. Thing was wrecked
Weston81

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:15 am

quackhead wrote:What state are you in Weston?

Missouri
Weston81

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:18 am

Not sure about your regs but it seems that folks your way really stack up some fur.
quackhead

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:20 am

Weston81 wrote:My number one goal is gonna be not to catch myself if I can help it. I am sure it will happen though sooner or later of I get into it. I think I have a lot more reading to do to even to begin to get a true understanding. Seems like there will be a lot of rules and regs as well that i need to figure out for my state. I've gathers from you guys that every state varies on sets etc

Even within a state, it can vary quite a bit. I can use snares here, but if I go three counties over, it's illegal to even own or possess one. Best bet is to take a class, if your state offers one. It's been my experience that they are pretty good, far more useful than the nonsensical hunter's ed classes they offer.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 am

quackhead wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Was searching for cheap connibears on the internet and came across some pics of dogs that got in em, they were **** up kinda sad really.

Yep, there will always be worse case pics that get dwelled on. Wether it's hunting fishing trapping or etc. that is how the anti's get outdoorsmen against each other.

Agreed. I see that shit all the time on facebook and end up getting in an argument with a bunch of anti dumbasses
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:28 am

I have a buddy who has a farm about an hour and a half from here. It has a few patches of woods and then all crops. His and all farms around it have coyote problems. A few years back we were tracking a deer at this farm that we had shot and one literally ran by us in an open field 5ft from me. Are coyotes something for a novice to target? I know they can be sneaky bastards. Shot my fair share deer hunting them.
Weston81

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:37 am

The trickiest of anything around here. I've found the best way to get them is with bait but caught several other things as well.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:48 am

They typically have a gut pile during deer season out back behind their shop a few hundred yards. May have to use that to my advantage. If legal of course
Weston81

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:49 am

They are not the easiest. With enough stubbornness you can figure them out. Bait is definitely a good way in some situations.
quackhead

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:53 am

quackhead wrote:They are not the easiest. With enough stubbornness you can figure them out. Bait is definitely a good way in some situations.

I haven't figured them out at all, bait is the only thing that's worked for me. Even being within 50yds of a den. They seem, to me, the most unpredictable of anything, like use different routes everyday. Any tips or signs to look for in this?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:56 am

Would you suggest targeting anything specific when starting out? Or is it more about finding an area that is being used as a path for animals in general and putting out sets? I've trapped one opossum that dug under my driveway and then killed the other with a pumpkin the following night, that's the extent of my first hand knowledge. Sorry for the hundred questions.
Weston81

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:02 am

With a #2 leg hold, and a basic dirt hole set, you can catch anything from possums to skunks to raccoons to foxes to coyotes. It's a pretty versatile set, really. As far as targetting goes, I catch possums, skunks, coons, and foxes in that set all with fox lure only, no bait, so it's pretty wide open. After you start setting some, you'll want to refine things, and play with the distance from the hole, pan tension, angle from the hole, etc. All these things will help determine what will be in your trap, without "changing" the set much at all, just some tweaking. If I was you, I would probably get 1/2 dozen #2 legholds, and call it good. Then just start working with them, and see what shakes out.

As far as location, the only way to know for sure what area works better than another is to have traps out, and see what's catching and what isn't. Sounds like a smart ass answer, I know, but is really the truth. You can do everything right, and not catch a damn thing, and then have a set that you just threw in the ground late in the day, because you didn't feel like carrying it back to the Jeep, and it will catch the hell out of animals for two weeks straight. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't.
assateague

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:07 am

Didn't take it as a smartass answer at all, and get what you are saying. I like that this is something I can start out small and go from there. I am sure you've mentioned it before but do you guys have a particular place you like to order your stuff from?
Weston81

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 am

I use blueridgeoutdoorsupplies.com Found him to be pretty cheap, he ships fast, and the guy who runs it is a pretty good fella, but feel free to shop around. Just google "trapping supplies", and you'll find they're pretty much all mom and pop.
assateague

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:24 am

FNT is the place I get most my stuff. They are generally the cheapest on the web and good people to deal with. Another thing you want to look into is, how much yo like to tinker with things. If you buy the cheaper traps the more you may need to do. I really like Bridgers traps for the cheaper traps. But mb550's would do what you want and they are pretty much ready to throw in the dirt.
If you have a lot of coon close buy and lots of people and dogs, getting some dogproof coon traps would also be a good idea. For beaver you need a different arsenal. You need a minimum of size 3 legholds(and that is only gonna catch front feet), 330 conibears and or snares.
quackhead

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:07 am

Lots of coons, possums, and coyotes for where I am thinking at giving it a go. Starting out I don't think I'd want to tinker with the traps too much until I got a better understanding of everything.
Weston81

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 am

Mb's are expensive but you don't hear complaints about them at all. Dp's are pretty expensive to but quick to put out and the fact that you don't have to worry about joe blows dog is nice. These dp's will only catch coons,skunks,opossums and cats. If you buy them one at a time they are somewhere around 17.00 apiece. Once you start it will become an addiction.
If you don't have time to put up fur or the room, there is probably a buyer that will buy them on the carcass or green skinned, near you. You lose money this way but sometimes it is the better option for some people.
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:43 am

Also, if you can get on trapperman.com there is a classified forum that has tons of used traps (used traps are always a little risky) that sometimes you can get a good deal on.
quackhead

Postby quackhead » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 am

Jim, your rebate from last years fur should be posted on your account now.
quackhead

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Coil Spring traps are the same as leg holds right?
Weston81

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:00 pm

Yes. And whatever you do, don't buy long spring traps.

I prefer Dukes, never really used anything else. Had some Victor's, and traded them for some dog proofs last year. You'll need to dye them, wax them, and adjust them (in that order), but it's really simple, pretty much just a pair of channel locks. You can get a half dozen Duke #2 for about $60. Really, you could probably have all the basics you need to get started for around $100, certainly less than $120.
assateague

Postby Weston81 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 pm

http://www.flemingtraps.com/duke-2-coil ... 7AodJkcA2g

On sale for 7.50, looks like a good price. what are your guys thoughts? QH you had any experience with these?
Weston81

Postby (MT)Montanafowler » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:27 pm

assateague wrote:Yes. And whatever you do, don't buy long spring traps.

I prefer Dukes, never really used anything else. Had some Victor's, and traded them for some dog proofs last year. You'll need to dye them, wax them, and adjust them (in that order), but it's really simple, pretty much just a pair of channel locks. You can get a half dozen Duke #2 for about $60. Really, you could probably have all the basics you need to get started for around $100, certainly less than $120.

why no long springs? i saw something that said that they are more reliable in heavy snow.
Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm
huntall6 wrote:MT is right.

totally sig worthy!
(MT)Montanafowler

Postby assateague » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:42 pm

Like I said, I like Duke, but it's personal preference. I would say that they are perfect. If you find you enjoy it and have the time, then you can add higher dollar traps if you want to.

IMPORTANT
Check the regs where you're going to be trapping before you buy anything. Some places (like the whole state of Delaware, for example) require the use of offset jaw traps, and all places will have jaw spread restrictions. Check first, so you don't end up spending money on something you can't use. And while I don't normally follow many rules in general, I do when I'm trapping. There's just too much chance of catching someone's dog/cat/a bald eagle to risk it. If you kill someone's dog incidentally and you're legal, you're off the hook. But if you were using something that wasn't legal in your state and the same thing happens, it's a whole 'nother ball game.
assateague

PreviousNext

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum